Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just placed an order for the Red Caliper covers from MGP. Went with the leaper on front and back. I was going to have them painted/powder coated, but thought this would be good alternative. I hope they tie in well with the center caps and front growler.
Pics will follow as soon as I get them.
let me know how they fit,I was thinking of ordering these but not sure the fitment would be precise

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone been able to confirm if the "S" factory caliper cap is available as an item to purchase?
I have managed to ordered a pair of the OEM "S" red caliper plate the part number is T4N16179, however it is just a flat metal plate "made by ATE and made in Germany" with 2 screws and when I try to fit it on my non S caliper it seems nowhere to screw it on, so the OEM S caliper I assume probably has 2 actual screw holes to screw these plates on or it has another bracket from the retaining spring for it to screw on, will pretty much need someone to take off the plate of an actual S caliper to see what is under there.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have managed to ordered a pair of the OEM "S" red caliper plate the part number is T4N16179, however it is just a flat metal plate "made by ATE and made in Germany" with 2 screws and when I try to fit it on my non S caliper it seems nowhere to screw it on, so the OEM S caliper I assume probably has 2 actual screw holes to screw these plates on or it has another bracket from the retaining spring for it to screw on, will pretty much need someone to take off the plate of an actual S caliper to see what is under there.
That's too bad that the factory non-red calipers don't accept the cover directly. I'm hoping somebody with an "S" can pull of their wheel and cover and share a picture for us. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I thought about painting the calipers and adding high temp vinyl stickers. I'm not a fan of the covers.
I kinda think *Black* lettering would look Pretty Darn Good , on the *RED* painted Caliper !!!

What say you ???

·
Registered
62 Posts
I visited my local Jag dealer to get some work done and while I was waiting had a walk around their lot. Not sure if this helps at all, but I found a S and R-Sport parked next to each other with similar wheels.

I wonder how hard it would be to drill and tap the standard calipers to accept the S plate?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
As long as you center punched it and used the proper stubby drills, countersunk and hand tapped it, it should be relatively easy to do right on the vehicle. you also have to be sure it is no where near any fluid passage areas, and absolutely no deeper than you have to go. But honestly it really wouldn't be that hard....

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Drilling into the only part of the car that keeps you from running into a wall seems like a great idea. All you need is to compromise the structural integrity of the caliper and no more stopping for you.

Maybe you should have sprung for the version that has upgraded brakes, or cough up the money for an actual kit instead of doing a hillbilly mod.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Drilling into the only part of the car that keeps you from running into a wall seems like a great idea. All you need is to compromise the structural integrity of the caliper and no more stopping for you.

Maybe you should have sprung for the version that has upgraded brakes, or cough up the money for an actual kit instead of doing a hillbilly mod.
Well before you go off half cocked on this guy, remember 2 things...

This is the non Hydraulic side of the caliper and just receives, not exerts, pressure from the opposite side....

AND

The piece he wants to drill and tap are probably identical on both vehicles, whether altered or not, and the holes wouldn't mean diddly to its function.....

I personally wouldn't do it, but not because of safety reasons, but because I believe stock is stock, and don't really want to put any more frivolous money into it than I already have....

Reactions: jbedford

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts

Well before you go off half cocked on this guy, remember 2 things...

This is the non Hydraulic side of the caliper and just receives, not exerts, pressure from the opposite side....

AND

The piece he wants to drill and tap are probably identical on both vehicles, whether altered or not, and the holes wouldn't mean diddly to its function.....

I personally wouldn't do it, but not because of safety reasons, but because I believe stock is stock, and don't really want to put any more frivolous money into it than I already have....
Sure, I guess you don’t need the other half of the caliper. ?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sure, I guess you don’t need the other half of the caliper. ?
The odds that all four would fail simultaneously are astronomically low. He'd probably survive the crash that results from the first chunk of metal getting wedged in his rims, and learn from the mistake.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I am amused how assumptions are made, without any proof or real investigation. It is one thing to say "don't drill into your fuel tank" and quite another to assume modding the outboard pad holder with what is likely the same process as comes from the factory on the S will cause a disaster. How about someone pull a wheel and pull the caliper (on both models) and actually take a closer look? Next up: "But it will void the factory WARRANTY."

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I seriously doubt someone has access to the tools required to precisely drill into the caliper, in such a way that wouldn’t cause fracturing which, in the HIGH HEAT environment it’s in, could lead to it falling apart.

But whatever, if y’all think it’s a great suggestion just go for it. All so you can have “Jaguar” on the caliper.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Next up: "But it will void the factory WARRANTY."
Do you honestly think Jaguar , or any car manufacturer for that matter ,
will look at a brake caliper that has been *modified w/ HOLES drilled into it* ,
and say "sure , we'll cover any mishap under warranty" ???????

Apparently , you must have missed the recent post where a member said that Jaguar would NOT cover fixing a "side view mirror" (of all things) ,
because it looked like the vehicle had work done to it recently !!!

A vehicle's WARRANTY covers the vehicle "as you purchased it" !!!
Any slicing or dicing or drilling or fabricating , on ANY piece of the vehicle after the fact ,
should give the manufacturer the right to not honor the warranty !!!

Unless of course , the slicing or dicing or drilling or fabricating ,
was done by a representative of the vehicle manufacturer !!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Next up: "But it will void the factory WARRANTY."
You're absolutely correct on this -- I hadn't considered that aspect. It would absolutely void the warranty, no question.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
You're absolutely correct on this -- I hadn't considered that aspect. It would absolutely void the warranty, no question.
Hoopics ,
your "correct" reply is to the WRONG person !!!

Since theweeb was merely being SARCASTIC ,
and basically mocking *GR* , whose comments concerning WARRANTIES are always SERIOUS !!!

It's ok , you just need a little more time to get to know all the members of your New Family !!!;)

61 - 80 of 86 Posts