Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That IS some great customer service! Do you have a switch to turn yours on/off? I think a temp solution is a power strip with an on/off toggle until we can get a switch put in. I know it needs to be on to work, but when I'm in the garage or working on the yard, my dogs are my constant companions and I want to keep them safe.
I bought an outdoor outlet for it with a remote control so I can turn on and off 😊

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Day 86

The insurance company and the dealer came to a mutually agreed-upon settlement. They will start repairs and I should have it back next week! We have no idea what the settlement amount was.

Then the dealer called my husband and said they need our $100 deductible first. My husband said, “For krysssake. You think I’m going to walk away from the car over $100?! Just do the repair and use the car as collateral and we’ll pay you when we pick it up."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Day 93

Insurance paid seven days ago and dealer had the green light to start repair and reassembly. We hadn’t heard a word from them. On Monday, I texted to remind them that I had also asked for an oil change back on June 14 when it was towed to them. I was hoping for a ‘you can pick it up in the morning’ type of response, but all I got was ’thanks for the reminder’.

And now it seems that my worst fears are starting to come true, which would be that they repair the two wires and the car still wont start. My husband called yesterday morning. No one returned his call. He called today and talked to a second string service dept rep. “A tech is working on it and it will go into next week.” He had no other information to share. What in the ACTUAL F is going on???

And now what??! Insurance paid. Yet the dealer is still chasing a problem. Are they going to reset the clock and start a new ‘diagnostics’ tab? And I know they’ll assume there is more hidden mouse damage. I still feel this existing damage is from two years ago and that there’s actually something else wrong. My joy last Thursday at the prospect of finally getting my car home has been replaced by the familiar knot in my stomach.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Day 93

Insurance paid seven days ago and dealer had the green light to start repair and reassembly. We hadn’t heard a word from them. On Monday, I texted to remind them that I had also asked for an oil change back on June 14 when it was towed to them. I was hoping for a ‘you can pick it up in the morning’ type of response, but all I got was ’thanks for the reminder’.

And now it seems that my worst fears are starting to come true, which would be that they repair the two wires and the car still wont start. My husband called yesterday morning. No one returned his call. He called today and talked to a second string service dept rep. “A tech is working on it and it will go into next week.” He had no other information to share. What in the ACTUAL F is going on???

And now what??! Insurance paid. Yet the dealer is still chasing a problem. Are they going to reset the clock and start a new ‘diagnostics’ tab? And I know they’ll assume there is more hidden mouse damage. I still feel this existing damage is from two years ago and that there’s actually something else wrong. My joy last Thursday at the prospect of finally getting my car home has been replaced by the familiar knot in my stomach.
If I were you, I'd do two things, in this order:

#1. Contact your insurance company and make them aware of what's going on and what you're being told now.
#2. Not make another phone call concerning the repair of your vehicle. It's out of your hands now. Let the insurance company deal with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
If I were you, I'd do two things, in this order:

#1. Contact your insurance company and make them aware of what's going on and what you're being told now.
#2. Not make another phone call concerning the repair of your vehicle. It's out of your hands now. Let the insurance company deal with it.
Done and done. Husband immediately called the insurance guy after he got off the phone with the dealer and the insurance guy is trying to find out what’s going on. He agrees that it shouldn’t take over a week to fix two wires and put it back together. AND they're ghosting us….something’s going on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Day 96

From our insurance guy on Friday morning - “It will probably take until the end of the month to be completed”. I’m out of expletives, so just insert what you might be saying to yourself if this were your car. Am I being unreasonable that I want details?? DID FIXING THE WIRES WORK?
I texted the service manager.

Me, “What’s going on?? We’re in the dark and paying $55/day in rental car fees. Now we get news that it will take another two weeks? Did you fix the wires and that didn’t correct the problem? I’m really frustrated.”
Him, “We are hoping to complete the vehicle by next week. The insurance should be paying the rental vehicle expense - are they not?” (see how he did NOT answer my question?)
Me, “They only cover $30/day with a max of $900. We blew by that number long ago.”
no response
Me, “Is there still an unknown problem? Or are you waiting on parts?”
Him, “Putting everything back together.” (MotherFather! 😡 Still not answering my question.)
Me, “I feel like you’re dodging my question. Did repairing the wires fix the problem? Or is there still a problem? We’d like some details, please.”
Him, “We had removed all the interior components (seats, carpet, dash, center console) and repaired the wires. No we are being very careful making sure everything is back in its perfect place. I’m hoping by Wednesday, but that might be a stretch.”

He STILL didn’t confirm whether repairing the wires brought it back to life. The fact that he wont just come out and say, “Good news, we repaired the wires, EVERYTHINGS WORKING, and now we just need to put it back together.” ...is concerning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I legitimately feel for you. This is awful!!
Day 97

Thank you. 🥰 I was encouraged that he made a milquetoast commitment of Wednesday…though he did conclude with “but that might be a stretch”.

Here are some pictures that the insurance guy took.

Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Day 98

Already considering new vehicle choices. I’m wondering how this issue will affect value? Is this like selling a house that has termites and previous owner is responsible for disclosure? Will Carfax or some other vehicle history report show that it was in the shop for 100+ days and that it had rodent damage? We aren’t trying to be shady…just wondering how this will follow the vehicle. I guess we'll find out soon.

The dealer has blown a relatively minor problem up to epic proportions. Two wires. Fix them. Done. No, let’s take 100 days and tear out so many parts that it looks like a U-Pull-It sidewalk sale.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Listen, I know you don't know me...but I've been in the automotive repair industry for over 30 years, specializing in European cars for the last 20. This is not JUST rodent damage. Never in my career have I seen that may interior trim items removed due to rodent damage. This is more than that. Much more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
We’re going to kick some tires tomorrow. I’d like to look at Audi Q8, but am gun-shy about anything foreign. Honestly not excited about looking at anything. I know. First world problems.

Another gut punch arrived this evening. Text from the guy at the dealership who feels terrible for us and gives us more info than the service manager -

“I’m sorry for the delay in not texting every day we are changing to a new system and rewriting all our paper work, Tech did get the wires repaired but vehicle is still not correct he is looking for more wiring that might be chewed up I will text more tomorrow. Again my apologies.”

A few tears and then renewed resolve to not let this consume me. My complaining is limited to this forum and close friends, because it’s actually quite embarrassing to have a luxury car that has been in the shop for 100 days. I guess, stay tuned for the next sad chapter in this unfinished mystery novel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
DAY 100
June 14, 2022 - September 22, 2022

What a rollercoaster week!

Tuesday, we found out that fixing the wires did not fix the problem. We were upset. Insurance company was upset. Where to go from here?! Then, on Wednesday, I received a ‘walk-around inspection’ video. The tech pointed out the status of brake lines, tire tread, other stuff on the undercarriage and under the hood. Made some recommendations on things that need replaced (tires are near expiration, even though the tread is fine, some type of filter, and something about fuel injectors). All I saw was that he was whole. I wondered if this video was taken back in June? But the brakes were rusted, so it had to be somewhat recent. Not once did the video mention any problems, repairs, current issues, etc… Just four minutes of ‘this looks good, this looks good, we recommend replacing this., etc.. What the heck was going on?!

Apparently, they found the problem Tuesday evening. “We did find a loose ground wire under the seat so fixed that last night and now just doing the maintenance on it.”

One hundred days of angst, anger, worry, tears, hope, and disbelief have been replaced by joy and relief.

Speedometer Car Motor vehicle Gauge Tachometer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
LINUS is home. :love:

Why does he have to be so damn good looking?! 😈

We scrambled to get the ratmat put together last night. We wont be able to complete it until we get LINUS’s footprint and can build the rectangle around him.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
306 Posts
I hope all is fixed now and coming to a close. Please don't let it happen that the insurance company decides that the only real fault was the ground wire, that it should be covered by JLR, and that there's no valid claim on all the wiring harness work. I can't imagine JLR wanting to eat all that work because they missed the ground issue. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I dont know the mechanics of things like ground wires. But, is it possible that a loose ground wire can cause a whole system to shut down? Of course the thought crossed our minds that this could be the original problem. Yes, there was mouse damage and they repaired it. That’s on us. But, I still cant rectify that those two severed wires and the location they were in completely shut down a vehicle. Especially since they repaired them and that didn’t fix the problem. I really think the mouse damage could be from two years ago. It’s possible that LINUS had something that wasn’t working and I wasn’t even aware of it.

Insurance is aware of the ground wire. If they want to fight this fight, that’s on them.

Now, can we talk about the stench in my car?? I cant quite put my finger on it. Smells like that gooey brown grease and swamp. It still had a hint of ‘new car’ smell when it went in to the shop. Now it smells like a 30 year old car that has had multiple owners and the last one was a hoarder. Can I run an ozone machine in there? Or, any other suggestions to de-funkify it? Ask the dealer?! 😳 Or take it to a high end auto detailer?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The clear coat on this F-Pace was so delicate and easily damaged. Especially compared to all the American cars we own/owned. So we had it ceramic coated (the 7-year one) in 2019 and the detail shop posted a before/after section of my car. I dont know what kind of lighting they used, but the micro scratches are pretty dramatic under it. Four years later and it still sheds water and has a mirror finish. Found the original pic on Owner’s Pride Detailing Omaha Facebook page.

I might get him in for a spa day. The interior is a mess and hopefully they can do something about the odor. Car Detailing Omaha, NE | Auto Detailing Omaha
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Congratulations on getting your baby back!
In the state in which your car was for most of the 100 days it is entirely possible that they disconnected the ground wire when removing seats etc and then did not tighten it down when they put it back together.
I would love to have a connection to the inside scoop on this entire situation but of course that could just be my lifelong mistrust of car dealerships and my fear of Jaguar electrical systems ;)

61 - 80 of 88 Posts