Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What some people do is put a cardboard barricade around the vehicle when it is not being used still best advise is to get rid of the mice, Get Havahart traps and rid of them in a humane way unless you chose another route. Your choice. Camphor also works. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
You and I are thinking alike. This morning I was pondering some type of barrier that could go around the vehicle. I think they could easily climb cardboard. The material would have to be smooth and have zero gaps. I still feel like they could climb the garage door tracks and ‘drop in’.

I refuse to use glue traps, poison, or snap traps. I'm considering a ‘walk-the-plank mouse trap’ as a humane way to trap and release them. I guess I better get busy and buy something……..Ok, I bought something. Three different versions of the walk the plank trap and a couple of small trash cans to use as the collection receptacles. They recommend a 5gallon bucket, but many of the videos I watched show that the more athletic ones can jump out. So I opted for something taller.

Husband just talked to the dealer. Apparently they do not have approval yet from the insurance company to move forward with the repair. I dont know what the hold-up is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
What works for me is a strawberry basket filled with moth balls. View attachment 74786

View attachment 74787
Thank you for the suggestion. I fear that mothballs would give me a headache. My husband might be interested in that suggestion for his outbuilding, though. Of all the vehicles to choose from here, our mice certainly do have expensive taste.

Did my huge dilemma inspire you to put the mothballs out? Or do you always do this? Does the mothball odor work its way into your car?

·
F Pace Expert
2,552 Posts
Had this happen on a Toyota 4Runner parked long term in Montrose, CO airport parking lot. A pack rat moved in and nibbled the wiring harness. $8,500 and three months to replace entire wiring harness throughout vehicle. Paid by insurance.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I fear that mothballs would give me a headache. My husband might be interested in that suggestion for his outbuilding, though. Of all the vehicles to choose from here, our mice certainly do have expensive taste.

Did my huge dilemma inspire you to put the mothballs out? Or do you always do this? Does the mothball odor work its way into your car?
The guy who services my gate controller told me to use moth balls to repel field mice. There is no smell in the car. Been doing this for a couple of decades and it works.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I did so much research and tried so many things after my neighbor moved chickens and cows onto their property bringing with it rats that had an affinity toward my F-PACE in the end I bought a RatMat. In the beginning of my research trying every suggestion I found the RatMat was only available in UK so I sent emails, social media inquiries and it is now available in most places. Small tiles you lay down in a perimeter around your car drive over it and park in the middle it works similar to an electric fence. Small leaf blower keeps leaves and pine needles of but don't use a shovel for snow removal (learned the hard way) use snow brum or kitchen broom for light snow
Computer Product Rectangle Textile Grey
Computer Product Rectangle Textile Grey

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Had this happen on a Toyota 4Runner parked long term in Montrose, CO airport parking lot. A pack rat moved in and nibbled the wiring harness. $8,500 and three months to replace entire wiring harness throughout vehicle. Paid by insurance.
That number is shocking, but doesn’t surprise me. I was hoping our dealer would take some responsibility for making a wrong diagnosis up front and then being at the mercy of the manufacturer for everything that had transpired in the first 77 days. Apparently not. My estimate way off with a $14,000 guess. The dealer told our insurance co it would be $22,000. :oops: That breaks down into $20,000 for diagnostics and $2,000 for the actual repair.

We are still waiting for the insurance company to digest that number, ask questions, do an investigation, and make a decision. So, I got my typical “Friday text”, but it came from the insurance adjuster this time. “Hey, this is “X” from “X”. I am not going to get approval until Tuesday on your Jaguar. As soon as I get word back I will let you and “dealer" know. Thanks”. The knot in my stomach is still there, just different causes now.

The adjuster said that my car is just a shell. They have everything out of it. 😣

Day 81

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
@MKenM
@four-walling
@Cat Lady

I’m getting both products (havahart and ratmat) and will put down the mothballs, in addition to the plank traps I’ve already purchased. It wont hurt to have a multi-layer protection. The ratmat is quite interesting. There is a guy on YouTube (Shawn Woods) who does “Mouse Trap Mondays” and tests every possible mouse trap on the market. He did a successful ratmat test. Dannng, my husband is going to want one for our 45’ motorhome. Mice have always been a huge problem with it, even when we lived in the city. If anyone wants more info on the product or watch the video, check out thegridguard.com

Hey @four-walling - that is one clean garage! 😍

Reactions: Cat Lady

·
Registered
39 Posts
That number is shocking, but doesn’t surprise me. I was hoping our dealer would take some responsibility for making a wrong diagnosis up front and then being at the mercy of the manufacturer for everything that had transpired in the first 77 days. Apparently not. My estimate way off with a $14,000 guess. The dealer told our insurance co it would be $22,000. :oops: That breaks down into $20,000 for diagnostics and $2,000 for the actual repair.

We are still waiting for the insurance company to digest that number, ask questions, do an investigation, and make a decision. So, I got my typical “Friday text”, but it came from the insurance adjuster this time. “Hey, this is “X” from “X”. I am not going to get approval until Tuesday on your Jaguar. As soon as I get word back I will let you and “dealer" know. Thanks”. The knot in my stomach is still there, just different causes now.

The adjuster said that my car is just a shell. They have everything out of it. 😣

Day 81
As a professional that owns an independent, high end automotive repair facility that handles just about whatever you can dream of beside bodywork, I'm actually surprised the repair portion of the estimate isn't higher.

As far as the diagnosis, $20,000 in labor at $200 per hour(industry average) is 110 hours. That's 13.75 days at 8 hours per day. I will say I think any decent technician should have been able to find this problem in a day or two. I would never dream of hitting a customer or insurance company with a $20,000 diagnostic repair bill. That just shows you don't know what you're doing.

As for the actual repair, when dealing with an insurance company, the repair I'd do would not be a cut and splice type of repair, it would be a whole harness replacement. Much less liability of a return due to the repair.

My advice for future work...find a good quality independent shop! Don't assume the dealer is your best resource, as that is almost always never true.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
As a professional that owns an independent, high end automotive repair facility that handles just about whatever you can dream of beside bodywork, I'm actually surprised the repair portion of the estimate isn't higher.

As far as the diagnosis, $20,000 in labor at $200 per hour(industry average) is 110 hours. That's 13.75 days at 8 hours per day. I will say I think any decent technician should have been able to find this problem in a day or two. I would never dream of hitting a customer or insurance company with a $20,000 diagnostic repair bill. That just shows you don't know what you're doing.

As for the actual repair, when dealing with an insurance company, the repair I'd do would not be a cut and splice type of repair, it would be a whole harness replacement. Much less liability of a return due to the repair.

My advice for future work...find a good quality independent shop! Don't assume the dealer is your best resource, as that is almost always never true.
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your professional opinion! We agree that the 77 days of ‘we dont know what’s wrong’ is completely unacceptable. It’s ‘just' a car and they are supposedly a high end repair shop. Having their hands tied by the manufacturer should not ultimately become our problem. I guess Tuesday could get interesting.

Regarding new harness vs repairing wires... I guess it will depend upon how long the wait is for the harness. The 'ribbon harness' that they had pondered replacing (another shot in the dark) was estimated at 8-12 months.

This forum has been amazing. So many different perspectives, real world experience, and advice. I appreciate all of you who have followed this convoluted journey.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing your professional opinion! We agree that the 77 days of ‘we dont know what’s wrong’ is completely unacceptable. It’s ‘just' a car and they are supposedly a high end repair shop. Having their hands tied by the manufacturer should not ultimately become our problem. I guess Tuesday could get interesting.

Regarding new harness vs repairing wires... I guess it will depend upon how long the wait is for the harness. The 'ribbon harness' that they had pondered replacing (another shot in the dark) was estimated at 8-12 months.

This forum has been amazing. So many different perspectives, real world experience, and advice. I appreciate all of you who have followed this convoluted journey.
Question:
When you signed the authorization for the repair, was there any verbiage as to the timeframe of the repair or diagnostics?

Example: You have your vehicle towed to my facility, one of our service advisors would contact you via text, phone, or email with an approved amount of time to diagnose your issue. Non running approved time always starts at two hours. If the item is not found in two hours, we contact you for an additional hour or two. Never have we ever contacted a customer and told them "We'll let you know when we find the problem and bill you $200 per hour, but we don't know if it will take one hour or twenty hours. We'll know when we know."

Sitting here typing this and literally laughing out loud at a $20,000 diagnostic bill! I'm sorry you're having to deal with this...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It’s no different than hiring a lawyer that hands you a 30k bill and you ask them to itemize it… ask me how I know?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
We did not sign anything, but did agree to text communication. Originally, this problem seemed to fall comfortably under the warranty, so ‘billable hours’ was not really a factor. I’m sure the insurance company is asking for an itemized list. Maybe that’s the hold-up. The work order I received a couple of weeks ago only had three items on it:

#1 - MISC: Customer states : dash isn’t lighting smart fob not working car wont start was towed in and E brake locked up
#2 - SMS: Customer consents to receive text communication on the cell phone number provided. We may contact you regarding service updates/offers.
#3 - JCVI: Courtesy vehicle inspection for Jaguar.

Hell, they even sent a guy for training to custom write the software for the Telematics Module that they replaced. I’m sure that’s on our tab now. For the Telematics Module that we did not need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Day 85 (Day 8 since damage discovery)

Last Tuesday (day 77). Insurance company, “We'll have a decision by Thurs."
Thursday. “Looks like it wont be until tomorrow.”
Friday. “This is going to go into next Tues” (Labor Day was Mon)
Tuesday. No word. We texted the adjuster late yesterday afternoon. “They're discussing your case right now.” And then...nothing.

My husband told me, “You cant let things you have no control over bother you.”
Thanks Obi Wan. And yes I can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I ordered the Grid Guard yesterday. The US distributor is a super nice guy. He had been in the same boat as @Cat Lady. He had mouse damage in his vehicle and wanted to purchase a ratmat, but they were only available in the UK. The rest of that story writes itself.

I ordered the Standard Premium system. With tax and shipping, the total was $1,700. (Shop The Grid Guard Effective Non-Toxic Rodent Control - The Grid Guard) Once we get it set up, I’ll set up a trail cam in the garage. My non-lethal traps should catch mice outside the grid, but I want to see this thing in action! Because, sometimes you dont even know you have mice until your car is in 1000 pieces and has been sitting on a service rack in for 77 days. 😑

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I ordered the Grid Guard yesterday. The US distributor is a super nice guy. He had been in the same boat as @Cat Lady. He had mouse damage in his vehicle and wanted to purchase a ratmat, but they were only available in the UK. The rest of that story writes itself.

I ordered the Standard Premium system. With tax and shipping, the total was $1,700. (Shop The Grid Guard Effective Non-Toxic Rodent Control - The Grid Guard) Once we get it set up, I’ll set up a trail cam in the garage. My non-lethal traps should catch mice outside the grid, but I want to see this thing in action! Because, sometimes you dont even know you have mice until your car is in 1000 pieces and has been sitting on a service rack in for 77 days. 😑
He is a nice guy. About a year after I installed it to my surprise I got a package in the mail from them and it was parts 🤔 turns out they did some upgrading and just sent me the parts at no charge 😊

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
From the insurance guy this morning -
“I will be calling the shop today to discuss rates. I matter what. I didn’t find any reason it wouldn’t be covered, neither did my manager, the examiner has still not given us the go to proceed as of right now, but I don't see them finding anything we missed.”

FFS, why do texts give people some sort of pass on creating legible communication? Our translation is that it should get approved, but right now they’re leaning on the dealer about that outrageous $22,000 number before they commit.

From the insurance guy at 4:45 -
“Still nothing back. As soon as I get word, I will let you know. Not sure what’s taking so long. Sorry for the delay, thanks”

Not sure what’s taking so long has been the story of my life since June 14.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
He is a nice guy. About a year after I installed it to my surprise I got a package in the mail from them and it was parts 🤔 turns out they did some upgrading and just sent me the parts at no charge 😊
That IS some great customer service! Do you have a switch to turn yours on/off? I think a temp solution is a power strip with an on/off toggle until we can get a switch put in. I know it needs to be on to work, but when I'm in the garage or working on the yard, my dogs are my constant companions and I want to keep them safe.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts