Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just picked up my F-Pace and I can't seem to find XM radio as a source... I can see my phone, radio (AM & FM only), where do I find a XM radio source?

It must be basic, just not figured it out... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
79 Posts
OK, just picked up my F-Pace and I can't seem to find XM radio as a source... I can see my phone, radio (AM & FM only), where do I find a XM radio source?

It must be basic, just not figured it out... Any suggestions?
Uh oh. For Prestige models and below in the US, it is an option you have to pay for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's why I didn't see it... I guess just assumed with the Technology package it would have been included... sigh...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, my dealer got back to me. After investigating with the service manager & technician - there is no way to after market install the factory XM radio module into an existing vehicle. He had a 3rd party option ($650), but not sure how that will work...

I'm curious what other people are doing, if you didn't have the XM radio module factory installed?

Thanks for any advice -

·
Registered
176 Posts
SiriusXM has an Internet plan that gives you access through a computer or their mobile app. You can probably stream the content from your car speakers via Bluetooth.

Reactions: imsofrenchie

·
Registered
79 Posts
RAMSTA's idea is probably the best. I've found the bluetooth streaming to be reliable, with good sound quality. Only downside, of course, is you would have to handle the phone to change channels.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Indeed. Stream your audio. Satellite radio was a stop gap measure between traditional radio and having full internet audio streaming in cars. Now that we can stream music over the internet in our cars from the source of your choice (itunes, google play music, XM, etc.) there is no real need for satellite radio hardware in cars.

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhhh... Never thought of that solution, great idea... Will try tonight on the way home...

Thanks for the suggestion -

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
....no need unless you spend time driving in remote locations with weak or non-existent cell svc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made the same mistake. For anyone who does this, what can you expect for data usage on your phone (Ex. 10 hours a week = how much data...)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I made the same mistake. For anyone who does this, what can you expect for data usage on your phone (Ex. 10 hours a week = how much data...)? Thanks.
This will depend on the streaming quality setting inside of the app. Let's take Spotify for example. You can select streaming quality of Normal (96kbps), High (160kbps) and Extreme (320kbps). For those qualities here's how the usage breaks down into something that might be a little easier for some to understand.

96 kbps is 42 MB per hour and will give you 23 hours of music per GB of data.
160 kbps is 70 MB per hour and will give you 14 hours of music per GB of data.
320 kbps is 140 MB per hour and will give you 7 hours of music per GB of data.

I converted to hours per GB since mobile data plans are based on a bucket of some number of GB. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indeed. Stream your audio. Satellite radio was a stop gap measure between traditional radio and having full internet audio streaming in cars. Now that we can stream music over the internet in our cars from the source of your choice (itunes, google play music, XM, etc.) there is no real need for satellite radio hardware in cars.
This seems like a poor strategy since handling a phone in your car will soon be illegal in my state. It is a big distraction compared to pushing a couple of buttons on your XM radio.

·
Registered
515 Posts
This seems like a poor strategy since handling a phone in your car will soon be illegal in my state. It is a big distraction compared to pushing a couple of buttons on your XM radio.
Carplay solves that problem. You don't have to touch your phone, at least in theory.

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
XM may be archaic, but I bought the "Lifetime" plan many years ago and have transferred it to al least 3 new vehicles spanning appx 14 years now. Of course they changed that plan many years ago, and don't offer it any more, but my subscription is prob pushing 20 yrs old. I plan on using it as long as it is offered, as for reception and plain ease of use with no commercials, It really can't be beat...I've long got my moneys worth out of it...

Reactions: PA-FPace-F
1 - 14 of 14 Posts