Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good set of 4 wheels and tires, 22" OEM.

If you've upgraded and are looking to sell your originals let me know. I'm located in Michigan.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
In Search Of: 20's or 22's

I'm in the market for some 20's or 22's if anyone upgraded and has a set of 4. Like the other poster I have 19's and not feeling them. Live in PHX AZ

·
Registered
132 Posts
Larger rims more firm ride!!!!
I do LOVE the look of the 22" turbines though some people say the 22's are closer to "teeth rattling" but it also could have been the fact that the dealer had the 22's pumped up to 41lbs so perhaps reducing the pressure from 41lbs to something like 38lbs might keep the detures in?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I do LOVE the look of the 22" turbines though some people say the 22's are closer to "teeth rattling" but it also could have been the fact that the dealer had the 22's pumped up to 41lbs so perhaps reducing the pressure from 41lbs to something like 38lbs might keep the detures in?
My 22 summers were at 43.5 before I swapped out temporarily to 22 inch All-seasons. No teeth rattling with the summers. An even softer ride with the 22 inch All-Seasons. I'm 63 and have all my own teeth, so perhaps not a fair test? :)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
My 22 summers were at 43.5 before I swapped out temporarily to 22 inch All-seasons. No teeth rattling with the summers. An even softer ride with the 22 inch All-Seasons. I'm 63 and have all my own teeth, so perhaps not a fair test? :)
Question about the 22in summers. If someone living in the northeast were to leave summer tires on for the entire year, no matter the weather, would it ruin the tire? Or would traction just be terrible in snow/cold?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I still don't know why you went with AS tires as your winter setup? Why comprise? Winter tires are better than AS in the cold...

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Question about the 22in summers. If someone living in the northeast were to leave summer tires on for the entire year, no matter the weather, would it ruin the tire? Or would traction just be terrible in snow/cold?
No, summer tires get stiffer the colder it gets, so your traction becomes severely compromised because they can't grip well.

So no, not detrimental to the tire, just to you, your car and everyone around you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I still don't know why you went with AS tires as your winter setup? Why comprise? Winter tires are better than AS in the cold...
Why are you questioning of using All-Season tires afterall, there IS a REASON there is such a thing as it is the purpose they are intended.

Many AS tires are MORE THAN sufficient for many of us in variable weather conditions. I personally spend more time in a foot or two of snow than I do on solid ground during the winter season and the Continental DWS AS tires I have been using work VERY WELL in both the snow as well as in dry conditions whereas winter tires don't really do a good job on snow-less pavement.

While you might actually enjoy the "tire dance" twice a year, most of the rest of us don't want to switch out there tires when the conditions change. In my case, the conditions change from the time I leave my house (could be in the 60's) to the time when I arrive on the top of the mountain where it could be a foot of new snow and in the 20's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Willing to sell my 22" turbines. Pirelli P Zeros on them with about 3000 miles currently. Located in NJ, but frequently in MA/RI
@Jacob Martin - Based on others observations of ride quality when air pressure levels are more reasonable, I might be interested in your set. Is there damage to any of the rims? What price point are you offering them for?

I am getting ready to buy a new F-Pace and may simply get one with either of the stock 20s rather than pay the large increase for the turbines that Jag wants. I would not want the Pirelli's as I would put a pair of AS on them so I'd be interested in price with and without the rubber on them. Please PM me details and/or options

·
Registered
132 Posts
The traction of summer rubber compounds are TERRIBLE in the snow. Someone equated using summer tires as "trying to drive on hockey pucks". Snow and AS tires are designed using rubber than does not "stiffen up" in colder temperature and they typically also have "teeth" buried in their tread that can grab the snow to provide extra traction.

To put it in persepctive, I have seen a rear wheel drive car with most of it's weight on the front axle but with AS tires go up and down a snow-covered pass while at the same time a 4-wheel drive with the summer "hockey pucks" on it simply sits there and spins all four tires.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Why are you questioning of using All-Season tires afterall, there IS a REASON there is such a thing as it is the purpose they are intended.

Many AS tires are MORE THAN sufficient for many of us in variable weather conditions. I personally spend more time in a foot or two of snow than I do on solid ground during the winter season and the Continental DWS AS tires I have been using work VERY WELL in both the snow as well as in dry conditions whereas winter tires don't really do a good job on snow-less pavement.

While you might actually enjoy the "tire dance" twice a year, most of the rest of us don't want to switch out there tires when the conditions change. In my case, the conditions change from the time I leave my house (could be in the 60's) to the time when I arrive on the top of the mountain where it could be a foot of new snow and in the 20's.
All seasons were designed to prevent having to switch between tires, just like you stated. The problem with it, is that they compromise to obtain that ability. I do not like them but I at least understand why people would do it.

HOWEVER, in Treks case, he IS doing the "tire dance" since he switched from summers to all seasons (he made no mention of selling off or getting rid of the summers so I assume he will go back to them come summer time). If you're already doing that, why bother with lesser performing all seasons?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
All of that relates to your question, JMan. In summary, don't use your summers during winter if you drive in weather below ~50 degrees.

·
Registered
132 Posts
All seasons were designed to prevent having to switch between tires, just like you stated. The problem with it, is that they compromise to obtain that ability. I do not like them but I at least understand why people would do it.

HOWEVER, in Treks case, he IS doing the "tire dance" since he switched from summers to all seasons (he made no mention of selling off or getting rid of the summers so I assume he will go back to them come summer time). If you're already doing that, why bother with lesser performing all seasons?
Ah! I did not realize that he was already doing that dance. Your comments make more sense now that I understand better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jacob, how much for your wheels? Im in NJ all the time so could pick up.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Too risky. Summers begin to lose adhesion when the temp drops below 40 degrees Farenheit. Snow and ice are especially problematic. Get yourself some All-Seasons in the same size.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I'm not the one compromising. People who switch to winter tires are compromising. Winter tire fans are compromising on road noise and compromising on speed. How many days of snow sticking to the highway is there in eastern PA, Jersey and New York City (the places I would drive to or through) during the winter? About 3 days. I'm going to put up with noisier, less maneuverable, and slower speed-rated tires for the entire winter because of 3 days? Out of 140 or so days? No sir.

I spent 15 winters in Minnesota and NEVER owned or used winter tires. And most of my cars were front wheel drive not AWD. Minnesota! If I didn't need winter tires in Fargo land, why on earth would I need them in balmy PA, NJ, and Manhattan? People in this area don't even know what real snow is. Real snow is getting 31 inches on Halloween! That's real snow. Winter tires on your car would've done you no more good than all-seasons because you couldn't get out of your garage anyway because the drifts in your driveway were five feet high.

Come on, man. You don't need winter tires. Alaska? Maybe. Parts of Canada? Sure. The lower 48? Rare. Maybe Buffalo, NY, or America's icebox, also known as International Falls, Minnesota. Winter tires are totally unnecessary for 95% of Americans. The tire industry has people hornswoggled.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.