Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking our the FPace.

I noticed that of all the cars I am considering (I am looking at cars ranging from compact crossover like the Forester XT to the Lincoln MKX) this one is the widest. By a lot.

Do people feel that when they drive it?

Im actually nervous about whether I could fit this into the sometimes tight spots at my local train parking lot. Sometimes it feels tight in my 70" wide Forester...at 82" it makes me pretty nervous!

Any real world observations from people who have been driving their car?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been checking our the FPace.

I noticed that of all the cars I am considering (I am looking at cars ranging from compact crossover like the Forester XT to the Lincoln MKX) this one is the widest. By a lot.

Do people feel that when they drive it?

Im actually nervous about whether I could fit this into the sometimes tight spots at my local train parking lot. Sometimes it feels tight in my 70" wide Forester...at 82" it makes me pretty nervous!

Any real world observations from people who have been driving their car?
Yes, it's wider than other cars and you need to pay attention in tighter spaces. But I haven't really noticed the width being a considerable problem. I live and work in a city, so nearly 90% of my parking time is in maze-like underground parking garages and tight-fitting parking lots, and I haven't noticed a big difference in ingress/egress, maneuverability, etc. I'm a little concerned about door dings from neighboring cars.

If I was mostly around the bigger suburban parking lots, or in a house with a driveway, I'd park it by itself in further-out spaces (door dings!), and think about it even less.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All you need to know is it's still plenty narrow to drive up inside a semi trailer while you're speeding down the highway, which is obviously necessary if you're using the F-PACE for the purposes of espionage or a high-stakes international heist.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the bright side, you get get more space on the inside because the F-Pace is wide and it should be fine unless you plan on squeezing past Europe's narrowest alleyways. Better comfort for you and your passengers too.

·
Registered
93 Posts
On the bright side, you get get more space on the inside because the F-Pace is wide and it should be fine unless you plan on squeezing past Europe's narrowest alleyways. Better comfort for you and your passengers too.
Agreed. A very important (and underappreciated) point.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Love it and I love that it is wide and looks aggressive. Lots of room on the inside as well!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Visually wide

My experience from the driver's seat is that it looks wider than it is. My '07 MDX is three inches wider but the hood has very defined edges so it "seems" thinner than the F-Pace. The muscular nose of the Jag just rolls away from view so that you sense more width.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Wide, yes, but what bothers me about the width is not the width in itself, but the way the parking aids and sensors determine it. I have a very narrow garage, have to maneuver around a set of steps and corner of a house to get in and out (thank you, 1939 construction), and even backing into the drive, the sensors are so squishy. Today, backing in next to the set of steps, I got the solid warning beep and red indicator for the driver's side rear. IMPACT, right? I stopped, got out, and found I had a full 11-12 inches to spare. I think I am going back to relying on mirrors and more skill than the sensors, as inches matter when pulling in and out of my tiny, narrow garage.

·
Registered
233 Posts
She's definitely hippy, but we really haven't found it to be an issue in daily driving. We generally park in the south 40 whenever possible, so that limits the relevance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wide, yes, but what bothers me about the width is not the width in itself, but the way the parking aids and sensors determine it....Today, backing in next to the set of steps, I got the solid warning beep and red indicator for the driver's side rear. IMPACT, right? I stopped, got out, and found I had a full 11-12 inches to spare. I think I am going back to relying on mirrors and more skill than the sensors, as inches matter when pulling in and out of my tiny, narrow garage.
Is that not exactly what the steady beep and red indicate? I.e. ~12" of room. Or are you suggesting it is still too far away and should allow even tighter warning levels?

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
I think generally the warning levels are plenty generous. I'm trying to train my older neighbors in Telluride to park closer because they keep parking 12-18" from wall in front of their BMW and making it a total PITA getting into my tight spot next to them. They keep saying "but the warning systems tells us to stop there." I finally had to better position the concrete wheel stop block in the front of their parking space and think I have finally have them trained to pull all they way up to that no matter what their BMW sensors are telling them. I rely a lot more on cameras than the warning sensors in similar situation to Weeb's

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Is that not exactly what the steady beep and red indicate? I.e. ~12" of room. Or are you suggesting it is still too far away and should allow even tighter warning levels?
Yes, but for me. Others may be happy with solid red when still 12 inches away from an object, but my situation is probably pretty unique.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I think generally the warning levels are plenty generous. I'm trying to train my older neighbors in Telluride to park closer because they keep parking 12-18" from wall in front of their BMW and making it a total PITA getting into my tight spot next to them. They keep saying "but the warning systems tells us to stop there." I finally had to better position the concrete wheel stop block in the front of their parking space and think I have finally have them trained to pull all they way up to that no matter what their BMW sensors are telling them. I rely a lot more on cameras than the warning sensors in similar situation to Weeb's
I certainly don't envy any of you guys and your close parking quarters ! My neighbors never park too close to my F-pace ! We do live on 7-Acres though ! :)

Reactions: sg92

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Yes, but for me. Others may be happy with solid red when still 12 inches away from an object, but my situation is probably pretty unique.
One thing to think about , in this scenario , are your mirrors within that 12" , or are they at the 12" mark ! I don't know if the sensors are for the side of the car , or do they account for the mirrors ! Hmmmm ! Just me thinking !

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
One thing to think about , in this scenario , are your mirrors within that 12" , or are they at the 12" mark ! I don't know if the sensors are for the side of the car , or do they account for the mirrors ! Hmmmm ! Just me thinking !
Good point. With the kind of maneuvering I have to do to back out of the garage, getting within an inch or two of the passenger side corners makes the difference between a singe reverse out or one that takes three or four forward-backward iterations. In the convertible, super easy with the top down, as of course the visibility is great.

·
F Pace Expert
2,563 Posts
According to the online Jaguar video about parking gadgets we are supposed to see parking lines that show the mirror width as well as lines showing the vehicle width, and a bunch of other parking zone stuff, but I think that's one of the ICTP glitches that's been discussed elsewhere. I get nothing but the thick yellow "here's where you're headed" lines. I've tried to get these zones to appear like others have and can't, or I see briefly then they disappear.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts