Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here you go... (please forgive the dust and fingerprints o_O). The little silver thing between the start and volume buttons is a magnet for my MagBak iPhone case. I didn't take a photo of the back portion near the 12v outlet in the console area, but I used a plastic pry tool to gently lift the plastic and route the cord underneath about halfway to the USB plug in the 12v outlet, so no visible wire between the side leather trim piece and the console lid. Only visible once you open the lid. I may go back and make a small indention in the plastic to relieve pressure on the cord there.

I had these command strips already, they lift the pad just a bit and make it sit even with the rest of the console.
View attachment 73030

Routed the cord under the pad, then behind the plastic trim at the back of the cubby, then through the driver side of the console.
View attachment 73031

Finished product
View attachment 73032
Thanks. Great pics!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Linden,

Pretty much what I did, but you went further with your routing of the cord. I simply pushed the cord under the left side leatherette trim piece with a plastic pry tool. I never tried to pull off the leatherette trim piece on the left side of the console. How hard is it to get that off?

AS for usage of the Car2Play dongle, it's been working well, although I find it a little slow connecting from a cold start. It's also not consistent on the connection time, sometimes it 30 seconds and other times it could be a much as 1 to 2 minutes.

I am running the latest beta on my iPhone 12 Pro, so that could be part of it, but I've also upgraded the software on the Car2Play unit as well, so that isn't it.

Are you guys seeing longer than expected initial connect times?

One other issue with audio playback is I get a slight drop when the songs are playing may once every 5 to 10 minutes. Only last a half a second but it's noticeable.
Connection times are pretty quick but have experienced slight drops in the music from time to time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Linden,

Pretty much what I did, but you went further with your routing of the cord. I simply pushed the cord under the left side leatherette trim piece with a plastic pry tool. I never tried to pull off the leatherette trim piece on the left side of the console. How hard is it to get that off?

AS for usage of the Car2Play dongle, it's been working well, although I find it a little slow connecting from a cold start. It's also not consistent on the connection time, sometimes it 30 seconds and other times it could be a much as 1 to 2 minutes.

I am running the latest beta on my iPhone 12 Pro, so that could be part of it, but I've also upgraded the software on the Car2Play unit as well, so that isn't it.

Are you guys seeing longer than expected initial connect times?

One other issue with audio playback is I get a slight drop when the songs are playing may once every 5 to 10 minutes. Only last a half a second but it's noticeable.
The trim pops off really easily. Just start near the console and gently pry underneath with plastic panel tool, then pull upward as you go forward and the front section will rotate out. Here’s a YT video showing the process.

My C2A generally connects in 15-20 seconds. I usually start the car, open my garage door, back out of my (short) driveway, and when I shift from R to D it’s there and ready to go. I don’t know what firmware version the C2A has, I’ve never updated it. My iPhone 11 Pro is on iOS 14.2, not a beta.

The only issues I’ve found so far are:
My GPS location sometimes drifts, not while navigating on a route, just in general driving with the map on. I’m unsure if this is an effect of the C2A or not, but I don’t remember that happening with a wired connection. It’s possible that the magnets in my MagBak case are causing an issue as well, I’ll have to test without that... but they’re not supposed to interfere. I have noticed a very brief “static” sound, maybe a half second as you said, occasionally when playing music... maybe every 20 mins or so. The music never completely cuts out. My wired connection used to drop connection completed at random times then immediately reconnect. I haven’t had that happen with the C2A yet.

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
So I haven't seen the delay on the GPS side, but I use Google Maps so GM has always had some delay in keeping up with the car from time to time. I'm guessing it's more the phone that Google maps directly but I've seen those delays wired or on the C2A. My C2A connects in 15 to 20 seconds maybe a 1/3 of the time. The rest of the time is brings up the screen that says connecting...at the bottom and shows a wired connection option on the left side and my phone name in a rectangle block on the right on the Jag ICTP Screen. Connecting... is at the bottom and sometimes it takes up to 60 seconds or more to connect. It failed to connect once and even though the CarPlay icon was on the ICTP screen when I pressed it it did nothing, even though the music was clearly playing from my phone. What I did to resolve this was to go into the phone, turn off bluetooth and then turn it back on and then everything connected fine the second time in about 30 seconds.

Maybe it's something with my iPhone 12 Pro, or iOS 14.3 software I'm running. Hopefully, it will get better when they catch up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
FYI, for those who are interested in getting the CarPlay2Air device, they are having a Black Friday sale right now. The price this weekend is $99. I just took advantage of it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The sale is a bit misleading, since it’s listed as $159 “on sale” for $99... I don’t recall it ever being over $129. Either way you’re saving a few dollars. Based on my positive experience I just ordered another one for my wife’s car.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
To me it's definitely with the money at $129 or $99. Definitely better at $99. Its a solid product and works well, I wish it was a bit quicker to connect but I can't complain. It's much better than plugging the phone in each time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
To me it's definitely with the money at $129 or $99. Definitely better at $99. Its a solid product and works well, I wish it was a bit quicker to connect but I can't complain. It's much better than plugging the phone in each time.
I completely agree. Much more convenient and well for worth it... no more forgetting my phone plugged into the car and having to go back and get it. :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just noticed something happening in the last few days. Sometimes when I’m using CarPlay and then leave to the Jaguar interface, lets say to turn on the heated seats for example, the phone icon is on the screen instead of the CarPlay icon. It’s clearly still connected, maps working, music playing, etc., so I’ve added a CarPlay quick access button to my ICTP screen. I initially thought it was disconnecting, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Just missing the appropriate icon that prevents quickly swapping back to CarPlay. Happens rarely, and I hadn’t updated to the latest firmware until last night, so I’ll see how it goes. My CarPlay connection is now listed as Jaguar instead of Volks as it did before, so hopefully this will fix it.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Linden, what version of ICTP are you running?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I've been trying to get 20C to come down working with my Service Writer but still no success. He said it was held up for a while due to issues, but supposedly opened back up again for download last week. I'm still stuck on 20B1 at this point.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Linden, what version of ICTP are you running?
I’m pretty sure I’m on 20C. I’ll check when I get it back... it’s currently in the shop getting winter tires. I haven’t noticed anything weird software-wise other than that little quirk.
My remote connection via the app has been much improved lately. That’s probably more due to the fact I added an activity key recently and they most likely reset a module or something during the process.

EDIT: Yep, my ICTP software is 20C and was updated 11/6/20 as an OTA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
FYI, for those who are interested in getting the CarPlay2Air device, they are having a Black Friday sale right now. The price this weekend is $99. I just took advantage of it.
Hi folks - mine works nicely and I just received a message - for the next 2 days it’s 99$ and free delivery . Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
For what it’s worth I tried both Car2Play and CarLinkit. Found the CarLinkit working better with Jag than Car2Play even though both devices use the same software (hardware is different). I’ve had less lag and a better and more consistent connection with an iPhone XS. There are reviews on YouTube that discuss the results of both the above and other products and suggest folks watch those reviews before purchase. All I can say is CarLinkit worked better for me on my MY18 FPace. One other side note - using the wireless CarPlay much more than I thought. Also dropped a wireless charging pad in as well in the tray forward of the shifter knob. Well worth the upgrade.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts