Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The New iPhones have Bluetooth 5.0 on them. This should allow for wireless access to Apple Carplay. I know my neighbor has a new BMW and can access Apple Carplay with OUT pluging in his iphone, that’s my goal here. I think I would have to take up one of my USB ports on a permanent basis. Until this becomes available thought an update (which we all know will never happen) I have a few ideas on how to get this done, anyone esle have suggestions or ideas? Other than just plug it in.

Thanks
DP

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
AFAIK it needs to be supported by the car and the current JLR documentation states that it needs to be connected to the Lightning cable. I was wondering if wireless CarPlay would be supported, but didn't really expect it to be.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
AFAIK it needs to be supported by the car and the current JLR documentation states that it needs to be connected to the Lightning cable. I was wondering if wireless CarPlay would be supported, but didn't really expect it to be.
I agree with this. Bluetooth CarPlay is a different spec than USB and doesn’t look like it is supported in F Pace, at least not yet. gotta walk before we run.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The New iPhones have Bluetooth 5.0 on them. This should allow for wireless access to Apple Carplay. I know my neighbor has a new BMW and can access Apple Carplay with OUT pluging in his iphone, that’s my goal here. I think I would have to take up one of my USB ports on a permanent basis. Until this becomes available thought an update (which we all know will never happen) I have a few ideas on how to get this done, anyone esle have suggestions or ideas? Other than just plug it in.

Thanks
DP
I am pretty sure BT 5.0 is irrelevant...wireless has been available since iOS9. However, the software in the stereo needs to be implemented, assuming the h/w (WiFi, BT) are set up to work. I don't see that happening with the current system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wireless apple carplay is now possible. Purchased a usb dongle direct from China (CPLAY2air wireless adapter for factory CarPlay) and early results are positive. It seems to use a wifi connection to interface the phone to ICTP. On start-up, a strange connection screen appears, flickers a few times, and then carplay will start. Seems to take longer if I am still connected to my home wifi. Have only used it a few times so far so take this all with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Mr. Schwartzmann, great to hear from you! I ordered the same CarPlay2air adapter. Waiting for it to arrive so I can see how it works. I hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mr. Schwartzmann, great to hear from you! I ordered the same CarPlay2air adapter. Waiting for it to arrive so I can see how it works. I hope all is well with you.
Looking forward to your results! Was jealous that my wife's Q7 had wireless carplay so I had to do something. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I received my Carplay2Air adapter yesterday and so far the results look good. After a one-time setup (odd that’s it’s Bluetooth name is VOLKSW) and then choosing the box to always start up using Carplay (so I don’t have to click the CarPlay button on the screen every time) it has worked perfectly during the two short drives I’ve used it on. I made sure Siri voice input still works, maps work, etc. and there seems to be no real difference from plugging it in. I’ve had no disconnections or other issues so far from using it for roughly an hour of driving yesterday.

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
55 Posts
One other thing I discovered. You’ll now have 2 devices listed under Settings>General>CarPlay... one for wired and one for wireless... so if you have added/deleted apps, rearranged them, or changed the background, you’ll have to do that again since the phone sees them as two discrete connections. You could actually have two different setups depending on if you connect wirelessly vs wired if you wanted to.

Now I can finally research and install a wireless charger, since having to plug in for CarPlay was the biggest thing holding me back.

·
F Pace Expert
2,532 Posts
Have been curious about this gizmo so good to hear people’s experience. I mostly want to be charging my phone when in car so sticking with cable for now but might switch if people’s long term experience is positive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Another couple of observations from several drives over the past couple of days.

First, I was a bit worried that since this transmits using Wi-Fi (there’s a “Jaguar-xxxx” Wi-Fi network listed under settings when it’s connected), that I’d have issues using my phone’s hotspot and CarPlay simultaneously. My daughter usually watches cartoons on her iPad while we’re waiting to drop her off at school in the mornings, so this would be annoying. I’m happy to report that it works perfectly fine while using the phone’s hotspot and it doesn’t disconnect CarPlay. 👍🏻

Second, while it connects perfectly fine just leaving the phone in your pocket... if you want maps to have your precise location and direction instead of just a general location with a large circle, then you’ll have to unlock your phone at least once after connecting to the car. Once unlocked, the usual blue dot/arrow for location shows up immediately.

As far as connection goes, it seems at least as stable as a wired connection in my case. As a matter of fact, it hasn’t disconnected on me a single time so far. I’ve had my share of connection issues in the past, since CarPlay seems to be very finicky about which cables work reliably.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Linden, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to see things are going pretty well with this new gadget. Can't wait to get mine to try it out. It's sitting at my home in Pa and I'm down here at the place at the Jersey shore. My wife is bringing it down tomorrow. it will be the first thing I do I think. I also ordered the wireless charger for the front tray and I will install it similar to what I did on my 2017 so the phone can stay charged while running Google Maps all the time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Linden, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to see things are going pretty well with this new gadget. Can't wait to get mine to try it out. It's sitting at my home in Pa and I'm down here at the place at the Jersey shore. My wife is bringing it down tomorrow. it will be the first thing I do I think. I also ordered the wireless charger for the front tray and I will install it similar to what I did on my 2017 so the phone can stay charged while running Google Maps all the time.
Can you remind me how you did the wireless charger install and what charger you used? I am not very handy. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you remind me how you did the wireless charger install and what charger you used? I am not very handy. Thanks.
PA-FPace-F’s post regarding the wireless charger is on pg 2 of this thread. I just looked it up myself today and ordered the same one.

FASTPAD Ultra-Slim Qi Wireless Charger PU Leather Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone 11 Pro iPhone X XR XS MAX / 8/8 Plus 7.5W Fast Charging, Water Resistant, No Heating (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793TJ9YR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_SKVTFbSM8WK90

Charge rate will depend on the adapter you plug it into and it recommends a QC 3.0 adapter for fastest charging (if your phone supports “quick charging”). So I purchased this along with it.

AINOPE USB Car Charger, [Dual QC3.0 Port] 36W/6A [All Metal] Fast Car Charger Adapter Mini Cigarette Lighter Usb Charger Quick Charge Compatible with iPhone 11 pro/11/ x/8, Note 9/Galaxy S10/S9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJTT9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_cNVTFbFXHAVEK

·
Registered
69 Posts
PA-FPace-F’s post regarding the wireless charger is on pg 2 of this thread. I just looked it up myself today and ordered the same one.

FASTPAD Ultra-Slim Qi Wireless Charger PU Leather Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone 11 Pro iPhone X XR XS MAX / 8/8 Plus 7.5W Fast Charging, Water Resistant, No Heating (No AC Adapter) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793TJ9YR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_SKVTFbSM8WK90

Charge rate will depend on the adapter you plug it into and it recommends a QC 3.0 adapter for fastest charging (if your phone supports “quick charging”). So I purchased this along with it.

AINOPE USB Car Charger, [Dual QC3.0 Port] 36W/6A [All Metal] Fast Car Charger Adapter Mini Cigarette Lighter Usb Charger Quick Charge Compatible with iPhone 11 pro/11/ x/8, Note 9/Galaxy S10/S9 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XJTT9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_cNVTFbFXHAVEK
Thanks. Items just ordered.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Got my Car2Play adapter today. Hooked it up to the car, downloaded the software update for the dongle and it all works pretty good. It has shown me the configuration screen on a couple of my test restarts and I'm hoping it doesn't do that all the time, but music and GPS seems to work fine through it. It connected fine on a short stop and start as well, which has always been an issue under 20B with a cabled connection. Strange since this is still really a cabled connection! We'll see how it goes over the next week. I'll share a review then .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Received and installed my wireless charger yesterday. Works great and fits perfectly! (Thanks PA-FPace-F (y)) I installed it using a couple of 3M Command Velcro strips so I can remove it easily if I ever need to. I also tucked the cord underneath the pad itself and under the back portion of the cubby before tucking it under the driver side trim, so none of the cord is visible at all. I was afraid the pinching of the cord would cause a failure, since it's quite a small/thin power cord. I also noticed that the Carplay2Air adapter shows a battery indicator on the screen so I can confirm it's charging.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Received and installed my wireless charger yesterday. Works great and fits perfectly! (Thanks PA-FPace-F (y)) I installed it using a couple of 3M Command Velcro strips so I can remove it easily if I ever need to. I also tucked the cord underneath the pad itself and under the back portion of the cubby before tucking it under the driver side trim, so none of the cord is visible at all. I was afraid the pinching of the cord would cause a failure, since it's quite a small/thin power cord. I also noticed that the Carplay2Air adapter shows a battery indicator on the screen so I can confirm it's charging.
Have any pictures of your install?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here you go... (please forgive the dust and fingerprints o_O). The little silver thing between the start and volume buttons is a magnet for my MagBak iPhone case. I didn't take a photo of the back portion near the 12v outlet in the console area, but I used a plastic pry tool to gently lift the plastic and route the cord underneath about halfway to the USB plug in the 12v outlet, so no visible wire between the side leather trim piece and the console lid. Only visible once you open the lid. I may go back and make a small indention in the plastic to relieve pressure on the cord there.

I had these command strips already, they lift the pad just a bit and make it sit even with the rest of the console.
IMG_0004.jpg

Routed the cord under the pad, then behind the plastic trim at the back of the cubby, then through the driver side of the console.
IMG_0008.jpg

Finished product
IMG_0012.jpg

Reactions: PA-FPace-F

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Linden,

Pretty much what I did, but you went further with your routing of the cord. I simply pushed the cord under the left side leatherette trim piece with a plastic pry tool. I never tried to pull off the leatherette trim piece on the left side of the console. How hard is it to get that off?

AS for usage of the Car2Play dongle, it's been working well, although I find it a little slow connecting from a cold start. It's also not consistent on the connection time, sometimes it 30 seconds and other times it could be a much as 1 to 2 minutes.

I am running the latest beta on my iPhone 12 Pro, so that could be part of it, but I've also upgraded the software on the Car2Play unit as well, so that isn't it.

Are you guys seeing longer than expected initial connect times?

One other issue with audio playback is I get a slight drop when the songs are playing may once every 5 to 10 minutes. Only last a half a second but it's noticeable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts