Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find putting the wipers into their service position incredibly annoying? This is the only car I've experienced where you have to leave the vehicle on, at least in accessory mode, to do it, and can't turn the car off while they're up. I wash my cars with them up so I can make sure to wash the blades too, and this is the most painful part of washing the F Pace.

That, and all the holes water seems to spill out of...#iblowdrymycar

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just kidding - I am anal about all the water spills - that is why I have been getting white cars lately

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does anyone else find putting the wipers into their service position incredibly annoying? This is the only car I've experienced where you have to leave the vehicle on, at least in accessory mode, to do it, and can't turn the car off while they're up. I wash my cars with them up so I can make sure to wash the blades too, and this is the most painful part of washing the F Pace.

If you have rain sensor option, then go to vehicle settings using left side steering buttons. Then select convenience, scroll down to wipers, select winter mode.
this way the wipers will rest on the wind shield and not in the bottom.Try it. Yiu can turn off the wipers during washing so it does not activate yet still rest on the glass.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

Something that may be a little easier and is what I do, instead of putting the wipers completely up they are able to be lifted up just enough that you can get a cleaning brush under them. Much easier and takes way less time.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Something that may be a little easier and is what I do, instead of putting the wipers completely up they are able to be lifted up just enough that you can get a cleaning brush under them. Much easier and takes way less time.
The only problem with that is, there may be a concern with chipping the paint on the edge of the hood, with the wiper arm, if your not careful :(

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The only problem with that is, there may be a concern with chipping the paint on the edge of the hood if your not careful :(
Very true, but I have done it for about 6 months now and as long as you dont lift up to far you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I did it about 3 weeks ago to change wipers, and I had some difficulty getting the driver side one on and it took me a bit of time. Well the **** car turned off on it's own when I was in the middle of putting the new wiper on, and it ended up messing up my hood's 3m wrap a little bit. I was quite annoyed. It's bad enough that you have to do it this way, but the fact that you also have a time limit that isn't published anywhere is pretty crappy. If I didn't have the wrap on the hood, I clearly would have taken about 2 inches of paint off of it. I was able to clean up the wrap a little bit, but not enough for it not to be noticeable if you are looking for it.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I did it about 3 weeks ago to change wipers, and I had some difficulty getting the driver side one on and it took me a bit of time. Well the **** car turned off on it's own when I was in the middle of putting the new wiper on, and it ended up messing up my hood's 3m wrap a little bit. I was quite annoyed. It's bad enough that you have to do it this way, but the fact that you also have a time limit that isn't published anywhere is pretty crappy. If I didn't have the wrap on the hood, I clearly would have taken about 2 inches of paint off of it. I was able to clean up the wrap a little bit, but not enough for it not to be noticeable if you are looking for it.
Oh that would annoy me big time! Was the engine on or was it just in accessory mode? I know in accessory mode there is a time limit until the car shuts off as I've been sitting in the car listening to music with the engine off and it will come up on the screen that the car will shut down in one minute.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think the best bet as someone said..."shut the car off in mid wipe and then do your thing changing the wipers, etc....Even put a towel near the hood edge in case you think they'll take off on their own..Which I doubt if the car is OFF.

As an added bit of knowledge...Clean the blades with 90% rubbing alcohol ever so often..this keeps them wiping smooth and streak free.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I think the best bet as someone said..."shut the car off in mid wipe and then do your thing changing the wipers, etc....Even put a towel near the hood edge in case you think they'll take off on their own..Which I doubt if the car is OFF.

As an added bit of knowledge...Clean the blades with 90% rubbing alcohol ever so often..this keeps them wiping smooth and streak free.
So you do 90% RA and 10% water? DO you just soak a paper towel in it then wipe the blades?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yes, sorta..I mean they sell at the drug stores 90% RA..I just use it straight up on a cloth and wipe the blade edges....When the black stops coming off you know your clean

Reactions: GRVR and Jman97

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Yes, sorta..I mean they sell at the drug stores 90% RA..I just use it straight up on a cloth and wipe the blade edges....When the black stops coming off you know your clean
Oh okay, gotcha thanks for the solution as mine streak A LOT. Ill be sure to do that, I would be careful not to drip any of that on the paint though, could imagine what that would do to the finish.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I would be careful not to drip any of that on the paint though, could imagine what that would do to the finish.
I totally agree Jman !
I mean , *Ultimate White* doesn't sound nearly as good as *Ultimate Black* ! >:)

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Oh that would annoy me big time! Was the engine on or was it just in accessory mode? I know in accessory mode there is a time limit until the car shuts off as I've been sitting in the car listening to music with the engine off and it will come up on the screen that the car will shut down in one minute.
I only had it in Accessory mode since i was in the garage with the door closed.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

So the wipers won't stop mid swipe by doing that. Due to the way the car really shuts itself off, the wipers always return to the resting position when you turn the car off. I learned this by trying that at first, then as I realized it wasn't going to work, I tried opening the hood which also didn't help, so I RTFM and found the procedure. Never expected that I needed to move quickly on the change over and that I was on a timer. Go figure, I would recommend the towel approach do anyone doing this on their own just to be safe!

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
So the wipers won't stop mid swipe by doing that. Due to the way the car really shuts itself off, the wipers always return to the resting position when you turn the car off. I learned this by trying that at first, then as I realized it wasn't going to work, I tried opening the hood which also didn't help, so I RTFM and found the procedure. Never expected that I needed to move quickly on the change over and that I was on a timer. Go figure, I would recommend the towel approach do anyone doing this on their own just to be safe!
Thanks for this info..I just assumed like most all cars, if you killed it while the wipers were in mid wipe, they'd freeze...I'll have to check this out..there's got to be a better work around.:|

·
Registered
932 Posts
I don't use RA to clean my blades because I feel it would dry the rubber, leading to premature wear. What's been your experience? I typically use diluted ONR (Optimum No Rinse), followed by a few wipes of rubber conditioner. No streaks and haven't had to change a wiper bladen in several years.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't use RA to clean my blades because I feel it would dry the rubber, leading to premature wear. What's been your experience? .
No problems...I stll have the original wipers on my 2012 XF...:)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts