Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd kick this discussion into its own thread so owners looking in the future can find it easily.

I went to Advanced Auto Parts today and, at recommendation of clerk, bought RainX Latitude All Weather wiper blades. He recommended these over the Tricos, maybe just an upsell but cost difference wasn't much if anything. Sizes, and we matched them up against stock blades, were 26" driver and 19" passenger side. He mounted them so not exactly sure which mechanism worked. See pictures below. Worked well so far as I could tell with just using windshield spray. Will test in mountains soon. Also purchased thin rubber door edge guards that fit very nicely on front doors. I have a concrete wall next to me in garage and always worried I'll catch door on it. Will eventually get some for back doors. Pics below.

Reactions: Thunder and theweeb

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VZX-CO.

3m also makes a clear tape for this purpose. It's less obvious but for the same purpose.
Now you have me laughing at myself, forgot my doors are wrapped. I guess I'm going belt and suspenders on this one, I can't stand idea of a chip in the door edge.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Thanks for posting, looking forward to your follow-up in rocky mountain winter conditions.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe Trek will get bored again this weekend and start a "No One Needs No Stinking GD Winter Blades" thread

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Figured I'd kick this discussion into its own thread so owners looking in the future can find it easily.

I went to Advanced Auto Parts today and, at recommendation of clerk, bought RainX Latitude All Weather wiper blades. He recommended these over the Tricos, maybe just an upsell but cost difference wasn't much if anything. Sizes, and we matched them up against stock blades, were 26" driver and 19" passenger side. He mounted them so not exactly sure which mechanism worked. See pictures below. Worked well so far as I could tell with just using windshield spray. Will test in mountains soon. Also purchased thin rubber door edge guards that fit very nicely on front doors. I have a concrete wall next to me in garage and always worried I'll catch door on it. Will eventually get some for back doors. Pics below.

Did you purchase the rubber door edge guards at AAP as well? If so do you know what size you got?

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you purchase the rubber door edge guards at AAP as well? If so do you know what size you got?
Yes I did. Already tossed packaging. It was only size they had. Fit pretty darn well out of the box and easy to put on. It was a red plastic package if that helps. I tried looking it up on their web site but no luck.

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
315 Posts
Better solution to the door edges is to apply film protection such XPEL or 3M

That is what I did when I had XPEL installed on the front end, headlights, partial hood, partial front fenders, side mirrors, rear hatch, behind the wheel wells instead of mudflaps and even inside on the centre console over the piano black finish.

All of it is invisible unless you know it is there and are looking at it with a magnifying glass for the seams.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the door edges is the film protection only a narrow strip or are you referring to wrapping entire door?
Think everyone is referring to wrapping the whole door, which as noted above, I have done. The strip I added is additional protection. Regarding wrapping, I did glancingly catch the side of our building's garage door with the outer edge of my right mirror one day. The wrap on the mirror took the minor blow and no damage to underlying paint.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Think everyone is referring to wrapping the whole door, which as noted above, I have done. The strip I added is additional protection. Regarding wrapping, I did glancingly catch the side of our building's garage door with the outer edge of my right mirror one day. The wrap on the mirror took the minor blow and no damage to underlying paint.
Thanks for the clarification. For the strip you got at AAP, I assume it had some kind of adhesive in place, even though it probably fits tightly around the door edge?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Better solution to the door edges is to apply film protection such XPEL or 3M

That is what I did when I had XPEL installed on the front end, headlights, partial hood, partial front fenders, side mirrors, rear hatch, behind the wheel wells instead of mudflaps and even inside on the centre console over the piano black finish.

All of it is invisible unless you know it is there and are looking at it with a magnifying glass for the seams.
WOW! How were you able to apply PPF to headlights and interior? I had XPEL PPF on full front but not the headlights, and would love to have them on my center console, but XPEL's website did not have them available, how did you manage to do it? Fantastic!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The 3M tape my detailer had was only a narrow strip the wraps around the door edge.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PHP:
Thanks for the clarification. For the strip you got at AAP, I assume it had some kind of adhesive in place, even though it probably fits tightly around the door edge?
No adhesive, fit tightly right on door edge. Popped them on in the store parking lot. Would recommend doing it on a warm day or in a heated garage so they flex enough..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Paint Protection Film ? SRS Automotive Tinting Solutions

This is the website for my installer. Look at the packages and you will see headlights offered. As for the door edges, behind the wheel wells and the interior center console, I asked and they had no problem and the cost for these extras was not very expensive as I recall.

How they did them well I don't know, I asked, they quoted, I said okay and they did it!!!

I would highly recommend SRSTints for anyone in the Toronto area. They did a great job and the price was very reasonable. Remember you are looking at Canadian Dollars on the website which unfortunately for us Canadians is presently at about a 30% discount to the US dollar. The material is imported from the US.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
To get back on topic, I have looked at Trico, Anco, and Rainex. I ruled out the Rainex because I have already treated the windshield glass. Of the remaining 2, I liked the looks and design of the Anco better, so I have installed their Winter Extreme Beam blades in 19 & 26". I am sure I will get a chance to put them to the test quite soon due to all the icy weather this winter.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
WOW! How were you able to apply PPF to headlights and interior? I had XPEL PPF on full front but not the headlights, and would love to have them on my center console, but XPEL's website did not have them available, how did you manage to do it? Fantastic!
I had Xpel applied to my complete front end (windshield forward) , including the headlamps, at my dealer before I took delivery. I got the impression that the product comes precut as a kit for each vehicle model. When the installer orders a kit, he tells them what coverage he needs in that kit.
Maybe someone has more knowledge on this than I do.

·
Registered
90 Posts
As an FYI on this topic, Consumer Reports recommends that you replace wiper blades every six months, especially if you subject them to heavy wear and tear... such as now and ice.
Best Wiper Blade Buying Guide - Consumer Reports

This timing caught me completely by surprise, so I thought I'd share in case it's not common knowledge. It wasn't for me.

Incidentally, CR doesn't test wipers anymore:
When new, we saw that all of the tested windshield wipers provided very good or excellent performance initially, but most quickly degraded after a few months of regular use. Depending on the model, deterioration showed up on the windshield as streaking (leaving lines of water behind), smearing of the water (instead of clearing it), or missed areas of wiping. Because we found that a wiper blades will typically provide very good or better performance when new, with performance dropping off quickly, most blades should provide adequate performance after about six months when they should be replaced. Consequently, we no longer test them.
So, to paraphrase, you can't really go wrong, so pick the ones with the features that you like best.

Reactions: MTHM

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As an FYI on this topic, Consumer Reports recommends that you replace wiper blades every six months, especially if you subject them to heavy wear and tear... such as now and ice.
Best Wiper Blade Buying Guide - Consumer Reports

This timing caught me completely by surprise, so I thought I'd share in case it's not common knowledge. It wasn't for me.

Incidentally, CR doesn't test wipers anymore:

So, to paraphrase, you can't really go wrong, so pick the ones with the features that you like best.
Eye opener and will put me on a much shorter new wiper replacement cycle. Higher UV levels here in Colorado due to abundant sunshine and higher altitude is tough on any rubber products adding to problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts