Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It snowed for the first time here in Chicago yesterday. Since I just bought the car in September, I was unsure as to how it would handle in winter conditions.

Car handled like a champ. Felt very solid with no slipping and sliding. I was in "winter/crappy weather" mode and I'm not sure if that made a difference (when I bought it the salesman told me I would never use this mode because the vehicle would be solid in all weather conditions).

Also, this is the first vehicle I've had with a heated windshield. I don't think I'll ever buy another car without this feature. It's so nice to not have to pull out the scraper. Remote start/climate + heated windshield will leave me very spoiled this winter!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Glad to hear it as my 1st F-PACE never got a chance to try out anything more than a light dusting.
Speaking of Cats and snow, have any of you bought and/or used the traction devices made for the F-PACE. Yes I live in California but it snows and because Californians can't even drive in rain when it snows they close roads and only let in residents but to get past the highway patrol we have to show proof of residence and "chains" in the vehicle and on a rare occasion they will actually make you put the "chains" on before you can continue home. According to Jaguar accessories page there are 2 options available, anybody have thoughts on either?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Glad to hear it as my 1st F-PACE never got a chance to try out anything more than a light dusting.
Speaking of Cats and snow, have any of you bought and/or used the traction devices made for the F-PACE. Yes I live in California but it snows and because Californians can't even drive in rain when it snows they close roads and only let in residents but to get past the highway patrol we have to show proof of residence and "chains" in the vehicle and on a rare occasion they will actually make you put the "chains" on before you can continue home. According to Jaguar accessories page there are 2 options available, anybody have thoughts on either?
I would be interested in the "snow socks". They're not the prettiest but, "Form follows function". The ad states they are easy to install. I would think they would dry quickly and are light weight. If they did come loose, the damage would be less than chains. IMO ; )

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I would be interested in the "snow socks". They're not the prettiest but, "Form follows function". The ad states they are easy to install. I would think they would dry quickly and are light weight. If they did come loose, the damage would be less than chains. IMO ; )
Oh, NEVER actual chains (it even says so in manual) but Jaguar offers 2 different options
#1... Jaguar USA Gear Online Catalogue. - F-PACE - WHEELS & WHEEL ACCESSORIES - WHEEL ACCESSORIES - Snow Traction System

#2... Jaguar USA Gear Online Catalogue. - F-PACE - WHEELS & WHEEL ACCESSORIES - WHEEL ACCESSORIES - Snow Sock Winter Traction Aid - Pack 689

·
F Pace Expert
2,649 Posts
the slippery driving mode thing makes a huge difference in the right conditions. i’ve needed it for torrential rains and heavy snowstorm both on i70 in mountains. Also good on steep gravel roads.

·
Registered
265 Posts
After reading your links a little more closely, I'll probably opt for #1 the snow traction system. I seldom expect to deal with snow. Going by the wording and price, I assume the system would be more robust and effective when really needed.
Has anyone looked into similar aftermarket traction?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
We really don’t see snow here. Ice on the other hand we do get. How are these cats on the ice?

DP

·
Registered
936 Posts
We really don?t see snow here. Ice on the other hand we do get. How are these cats on the ice?

DP
It's all about the tires. I drove in an ice storm with the Goodyear all seasons that come stock on the S. I had to drive MUCH slower than every other FWD, RWD, and AWD car on the road and had virtually no traction. They performed like summer tires in those conditions. Switched over to Continental all seasons and the car performs as you would expect an AWD SUV to perform in snow and ice.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
It's all about the tires. I drove in an ice storm with the Goodyear all seasons that come stock on the S. I had to drive MUCH slower than every other FWD, RWD, and AWD car on the road and had virtually no traction. They performed like summer tires in those conditions. Switched over to Continental all seasons and the car performs as you would expect an AWD SUV to perform in snow and ice.

So my 22” P-Zero tires might not be the best option

DP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts