Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 5 hour trip yesterday from Vermont yesterday the windshield wiper fluid was frozen making it difficult to see out of the car. It is still frozen today and Jaguar has not helped with the situation. It appears they put cheap fluid in the car. Very unhappy.

Anyone else experience something similar?

·
Registered
198 Posts
On a 5 hour trip yesterday from Vermont yesterday the windshield wiper fluid was frozen making it difficult to see out of the car. It is still frozen today and Jaguar has not helped with the situation. It appears they put cheap fluid in the car. Very unhappy.

Anyone else experience something similar?
JLR must use UK washer fluid from the factory!

Picked up my car in the fall in warmer weather. Here in NW Pa winter came quickly and temps dropped below 25 degrees. Washer fluid froze, and I have the heated windshield/washer nozzle option. Took the car back to the dealer where a thorough check revealed frozen washer fluid lines, Duh! Fortunately, the weather warmed and spray resumed. I purchased Prestone de-icing washer fluid from Walmart and now have no further icing problems (temps down to 5 degrees for a week). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JLR must use UK washer fluid from the factory!

Picked up my car in the fall in warmer weather. Here in NW Pa winter came quickly and temps dropped below 25 degrees. Washer fluid froze, and I have the heated windshield/washer nozzle option. Took the car back to the dealer where a thorough check revealed frozen washer fluid lines, Duh! Fortunately, the weather warmed and spray resumed. I purchased Prestone de-icing washer fluid from Walmart and now have no further icing problems (temps down to 5 degrees for a week). Hope this helps.
Thank you!!!! I also have cold weather package. Off to Wal Mart!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Using summer washer fluid in winter, in areas where temps are below freezing, is a recipe for a cracked reservoir tank as well. They're plastic and can crack if the fluid inside turns into a solid block of ice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Using summer washer fluid in winter, in areas where temps are below freezing, is a recipe for a cracked reservoir tank as well. They're plastic and can crack if the fluid inside turns into a solid block of ice.
That would be on JLR's dime since my lines froze up with whatever was put in from the factory/dealer. After my incident (and return to the dealer), I did research on washer fluids and concluded that Prestone de-icer would work best. No problems since!!

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
I guess I was fortunate that I ran through my first bucket of fluid when temps were relative warm. Since then I've just used the standard winter stuff you pick up in any gas station with no problems and that includes 15 below zero F the other day. This seems like a one time tempest in a wiper fluid reservoir so to speak.

Reactions: PemM34%2

·
Registered
390 Posts

That would be on JLR's dime since my lines froze up with whatever was put in from the factory/dealer. After my incident (and return to the dealer), I did research on washer fluids and concluded that Prestone de-icer would work best. No problems since!!
I don't know about that. Only if you took delivery in the winter. Changing to winter washer fluid if necessary I see as owner maintenance. One can hardly fault the dealer/manufacturer on this one, notwithstanding the delivery date reasoning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don't know about that. Only if you took delivery in the winter. Changing to winter washer fluid if necessary I see as owner maintenance. One can hardly fault the dealer/manufacturer on this one, notwithstanding the delivery date reasoning.
I would hope JLR would be more proactive in regards to washer fluid and use an "all season" product. I picked up my car in unusually warm late fall weather in Ohio then took it home to NW Pa (a much colder climate, not too far from you in Toronto). The dealer knew full well where I lived. No, I put this one on JLR as being nearsighted in this one instance.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would hope JLR would be more proactive in regards to washer fluid and use an "all season" product. I picked up my car in unusually warm late fall weather in Ohio then took it home to NW Pa (a much colder climate, not too far from you in Toronto). The dealer knew full well where I lived. No, I put this one on JLR as being nearsighted in this one instance.
Why not simply empty the tank through use and refill it yourself before the weather turned...or ask ahead of time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Why not simply empty the tank through use and refill it yourself before the weather turned...or ask ahead of time.
I really never gave it any thought until I needed to use the sprayers during the first cold and wet spell. How many people really concern themselves with the washer fluid until the level gets low? Love the car otherwise!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I really hate how some think that JLR is to blame for this. I do not think for a moment that the F-Paces are shipped from the UK with washer fluid. This is your DEALER as part of the pre-delivery prep, period. Or, that is my assessment of it... if it was JLR, then everyone would be having this problem as soon as the season changed. I still have the original fill from when I picked up mine in August, and we have seen sub-zero temps here in Colorful Colorado, and no freezing issues.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm hoping to pick up my S this weekend and I've already asked to make sure that the appropriate temp fluid is in the washer reservoir. Better safe than sorry, doesn't hurt to ask.

Reactions: JocDoc

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really hate how some think that JLR is to blame for this. I do not think for a moment that the F-Paces are shipped from the UK with washer fluid. This is your DEALER as part of the pre-delivery prep, period. Or, that is my assessment of it... if it was JLR, then everyone would be having this problem as soon as the season changed. I still have the original fill from when I picked up mine in August, and we have seen sub-zero temps here in Colorful Colorado, and no freezing issues.
I appreciate your assessment, but my dealer is the only JLR I know. Ergo, frozen washer fluid.....JLR problem!

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry folks, but I've always viewed adding winter-grade washer fluid as part of the standard winter prep the owner should do each season... just like topping off air in your tires when the temp drops or doing the snow tire thing. I don't see how this is the dealer's responsibility.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Sorry folks, but I've always viewed adding winter-grade washer fluid as part of the standard winter prep the owner should do each season... just like topping off air in your tires when the temp drops or doing the snow tire thing. I don't see how this is the dealer's responsibility.
If you take delivery of a new vehicle during the winter you should not have to be concerned about the type of fluid used. It should be the dealer's responsibility to install the correct fluid, not the owner.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you take delivery of a new vehicle during the winter you should not have to be concerned about the type of fluid used. It should be the dealer's responsibility to install the correct fluid, not the owner.
Agreed. And what's your position on non-winter delivery?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I highly doubt there is any heat for around it other than maybe heated spray tips if that is an option...

And why would any one that lives north of the Mason Dixon ever use "Summer" mix? There is no price diff ???... Same with any dealer that buys it in 250 gal totes. They should and prob do use winter at the factory, but prob put 2 cups in it. It just crazy of any northern dealer to use anything but winter to fill all vehicles.....

I buy only winter and use it year round.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts