Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have the strong smell of windshield washer fluid INSIDE the car after engaging the front windshield washer? After I spray clearer, I can smell it strong for a minute or two and it's real strong. Just wondering if this is standard or unique to mine. I have a '17 20d.

Thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Is it on recirculate or are you taking in outside air?

If its on recirculate I'm guessing you don't smell anything, otherwise you are bringing in outside air and are picking up the scent of the washer fluid. Try changing to a fluid that does not smell. In FL you should not need something other than water and a mild detergent. Remember the air intake is where the wipers rest when in not in operation.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it on recirculate or are you taking in outside air?

If its on recirculate I'm guessing you don't smell anything, otherwise you are bringing in outside air and are picking up the scent of the washer fluid. Try changing to a fluid that does not smell. In FL you should not need something other than water and a mild detergent. Remember the air intake is where the wipers rest when in not in operation.
I'm still on my factory fill of solution. Love bugs get bad and we need good cleaner solution during the summer. Will try the recirculate mode to isolate the condition. Do you smell it in yours when operating the washer?

·
Registered
58 Posts
At the risk of reviving an old thread....

My 3 day old F-Pace exhibits the same thing - I smell it in the cabin, windows up and HVAC system is in heat mode.

My theory - it's the solution that Jaguar dealers use. I experienced the same phenomenon and exact smell in my F-Type. But never any other car. Once I burn through the multi-gallon original load from delivery I'll try generic stuff and see if there is a smell.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Before I had Jaguars I had a Volvo XC90 and xc60. It is a volvo Jaguar dealership. I always made the point of filling the washer fluid before any service. Otherwise it came back with perfume smelling washer fluid. Maybe it's a corporate thing but I hate it!

·
Registered
117 Posts
It’s the genuine JLR windscreen washer fluid. Once you refill with overpriced blue stuff, you won’t smell anything.

I kind of like it. Best place to buy it is on amazon, it comes in concentrate that you mix with water. Works great but you have to watch your ratio or add some alcohol if you live some place that gets COLD in the winter.

I’ve also used aerospace 303windshield washer tabs, work pretty well, cheap, but again have to mix with alcohol if you have any worries about freezing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I kind of like it. Best place to buy it is on amazon, it comes in concentrate that you mix with water. Works great but you have to watch your ratio or add some alcohol if you live some place that gets COLD in the winter.

I’ve also used aerospace 303windshield washer tabs, work pretty well, cheap, but again have to mix with alcohol if you have any worries about freezing.
You win the "most serious about his windshield fluid" award! :eek:

I'll be at the opposite end of the spectrum - grabbing whatever blue fluid is stacked outside the door of my supermarket....

Reactions: VZX-CO and Dakar09

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I'll be at the opposite end of the spectrum - grabbing whatever blue fluid is stacked outside the door of my supermarket....

Be aware, just like fuel, there is a summer blend (+32 degree formula) and a winter blend of windshield washer fluids (-32 degree formula). If you grab a jug at the grocery store and put the summer blend in your sled in the winter, you may freeze and split you lines.

I buy -32 and then run it for a minute to get it in the lines, then refill the reservoir again. Don't forget to flush the rear window line with new fluid too!

·
Registered
117 Posts

I'm also the winner of the most frugal. I use washer fluid liberally and it's ridiculous many places charge $3 or more. The concentrate I buy works out to well under a buck a gallon. :) :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have never, ever, ever had windshield washer fluid freeze in car, regardless of what "blend" you think you're getting, except for once in Upstate NY when it was -57 F with wind chill. At that point, oil and transmission fluid are like gel and you shouldn't drive the car anyway. The cheap blue stuff (whoever said it was "overpriced blue stuff" must buy theirs from Whole Foods, like "Organic Gluten-Free Washer Fluid, or something) is all you'll ever need. Period.

And yes, you smell it in the car because the vents are on and are pulling outside air. Much like you smell a dead skunk when you drive past it with the windows up. And even if you hit "recirc", some fluid will dribble below the cowling towards the air intake vents, and you'll still smell it when normal air intake resumes. Washer nozzles are like old men in a restroom....I'll just leave that visual there :p

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
*I have never, ever, ever*, *except for once*
This was just too funny to pass up !!!:D:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::D

Reactions: Dakar09

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had this issue as well. The dealer replaced a gasket that had come off and it resolved it. I'll see if I have the details still.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed the strong windshield wiper fluid smell the very first time I cleaned my window, and every time I have done so since then. I was curious as to why, but had not asked the dealership about it. Thank you to those that mentioned it could be due to the dealership fluid, or a loose gasket.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had this issue as well. The dealer replaced a gasket that had come off and it resolved it. I'll see if I have the details still.

I'd love to see what the dealer did and which gasket. If you can't find the ticket, would you call them and ask for a reprint of the ticket or email it, so you can share the fix for other fluid stricken Cats please.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'd love to see what the dealer did and which gasket. If you can't find the ticket, would you call them and ask for a reprint of the ticket or email it, so you can share the fix for other fluid stricken Cats please.
Yep! I left my service advisor a voicemail. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

It was really bad, now I don't smell it at all.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts