Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who opted to tint your front driver and passenger side windows, please post the type of film and % darkness you went with. Pics are very much appreciated, too :) !

I'll be tinting ours shortly after delivery and I'd like to get a feel for which films and % closely match the factory tinted rears. TIA.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Does anyone actually know what the factory tint is of all the windows? The rears are darker than the front? A light meter would be helpful. Once we get delivery I'll measure it but wonder if anyone else has the numbers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The rear are really dark and depending on where you live, you don't need to do anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far I'm thinking about going with 3M Color Stable 35...

·
Registered
176 Posts
20% is typically the OEM equivalent. A dark interior and headliner will enhance the effect of the tint grade. In the past I've also tinted the front windshield with a very light film (97% opacity) to reduce road glare and enhance temperature insulation. All of which is illegal in NY/NJ so navigating inspections can be a challenge, but I've only been ticketed a couple of times.

Attachments

Reactions: OneTwo

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I generally do 35% on all passenger Windows and 25-30% on the rear.

This time it seems like the F Pace come with the rear passenger and rear window tinted already so my desire would be to get it as close as possible to that.

And I'll be tinting the windshield as well. No light reduction (maybe a % or two) but 99% UV blocking is nice.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
In talking with my installer yesterday, they told me that the rear windows on SUVs thy look tinted are usually just dyed glass not tint. So those windows don't have any heat, UV or IR reducing properties.

I'll need to get all windows tinted but the rears and windshield clear and the front doors as close as possible to the rears for aesthetics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In talking with my installer yesterday, they told me that the rear windows on SUVs thy look tinted are usually just dyed glass not tint. So those windows don't have any heat, UV or IR reducing properties.

I'll need to get all windows tinted but the rears and windshield clear and the front doors as close as possible to the rears for aesthetics.

Did you get the windows tinted? did you just do for front windows?

If anyone tinted the windows please give some information.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi new to board, a pleasure to join the forum. I'll have the same tint package I always go with:

LLumar AIR 80% Blue complete windshield and 3M FX High Performance Charcoal 35% applied to 2 front door windows.
As per Wisconsin law, I have a certified letter from my eye doc. attesting to my medical need for the 35% on sides for my light sensitivity...old favor. The windshield tint is quite mild and is more for UV/heat/glare.

Does anyone know if a front tint would affect the HUD option. I don't think I'll use it much, but it was such a cool feature, I needed to add it.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Does anyone know the UV/IR blocking specifications of the Solar Attenuating windshield glass on the F Pace? I'm at the tint shop right now and I just had them do the 4 side windows and rear because I'm not sure if adding tint to the windshield is worth it without knowing what the blocking properties of the included glass feature are.

FWIW, the tint that would be applied is a 99% reduction of UV rays and 60% heat reduction.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What do you guys think about the barns Llumar for window tint?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you guys think about the barns Llumar for window tint?
Llumar is a good film...not sure it would match the factory rears though.

I ended up getting BlackMax 30 Carbon (a local shop's proprietary film) and it matches quite good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
20% is typically the OEM equivalent. A dark interior and headliner will enhance the effect of the tint grade. In the past I've also tinted the front windshield with a very light film (97% opacity) to reduce road glare and enhance temperature insulation. All of which is illegal in NY/NJ so navigating inspections can be a challenge, but I've only been ticketed a couple of times.
The percentages are calculated based on the % of light passing thru.
So basically 20%...is pretty dark !
I think OEM is like 70% for front windows.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm being told that the rear windows are just privacy glass and they aren't tinted, which means the car isn't protected from heat going in.

Is this true?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I'm being told that the rear windows are just privacy glass and they aren't tinted, which means the car isn't protected from heat going in.

Is this true?
As I understand it, yes. Generally "factory privacy glass" is just a dye, so it doesn't have much, if any, heat reducing properties.

I had our installer put some 80% on the rear passengers and rear window to get the heat reduction.

I still cannot find any documented details about the solar attenuated front windshield. Still confident it's not block as much UV/IR/heat as tint.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^^^ Can we agree on something before this discussion goes further?
80% is nothing...or almost nothing. Like it shouldn't do basically anything.
Look at post # 5 chart.
Do you mean 20% ?

Here...

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
^^^ Can we agree on something before this discussion goes further?
80% is nothing...or almost nothing. Like it shouldn't do basically anything.
Look at post # 5 chart.
Do you mean 20% ?

Here...

No I meant 80%. Since the factory privacy glass in the back is already nice and dark, I didn't want to add tint to make it any darker.

Darker tint only marginally changes heat reducing properties. Even a clear or 80-90% tint still blocks 99% of UV and 60% of heat. Last time I looked, a tint at 30% light allowance maybe had a slightly (read: single digit) higher increase in IR blocking.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts