• I'll try the mixtures of several types

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many of you owners of this fine English car will abide by the manufacturers recommendation of premium gas? As far as I know any modern Jag has always based their (gas) engines hungering for premium fuel, as do most all manufacturers who make "performance"engines.

But, I know a bunch of guys who even with owning performance engines will put regular in their cars - ugh..:(. Call it frugal, call it whatever, but I can't do it. I always ran premium in my Jags. If an engine is designed for premium, usually this means that the compression ratio is higher, and it needs that enhanced explosion to correctly operate the engine. By not giving it the power it needs, the engine is subjected to stress and makes for a shorter life engine.

What's more, they also are telling you they want you to run premium fuel because top tier gas includes the cleaners, lubricants and special additives that make your engine stay clean and deliver the performance it's supposed to have.

I had an automotive buddy that was really into cars. I remember him saying that if you really want to save a few dimes, you can fill with premium, and wait until it gets down to half and then refill with "Plus", and then when it comes down to half then refill with premium again. By doing this the engine sees more of the premium than it does the "plus" for whatever reason, and there's still the additives in there that you get with the top tier premium fuel. I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about Arco gas though...

Anyway, going to attempt a poll environment here... let's see if I'm successful or need to redo my Mensa membership. :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
If anyone answers anything other than yes, you should not own this car.

I can tell you honestly - these cars are tuned for the higher octane fuel, and even a few points below does make a difference. I have put 'regular' in my Jags and Evoque a couple of times in the past when 91+ octane wasn't available, and dear God can you tell a difference. The car actually feels more sluggish.

In all honesty, whatever you do - stick with the recommended octane rating or above. If you can't afford that fuel price, you really shouldn't be buying a car with the kind of performance engine that requires it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Nothing less than 91+ 93 or 94 is preferred. That's all I used to put in my Lexus sedan, and that's all I put in my 2008 Acura RDX which has a turbocharger. Nobody puts regular gas in my Jag-u-are, or you will have **** to pay.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had a series of BMWs that take 91 and that is all I put in. I don't have my F Pace yet but I assume from this forum the same 91 and that is the only ocatane level I will put in it.

I only dtive about 12,000 kilometers per year that is kilometers not miles and I write off a portion for business so gas octane and gas mileage are not factors for me in buying a vehicle. If it was it would not be a 380HP six. I would be looking for alternatves in the segment such as the MB GLC with the 4 cylinder.

As for brand of gas I really do not pay any attention. We have different brands in Ontario, the major ones being, Shell, Petro Canada, Husky and Esso. Someone mentioned Shell, why Shell?

Also I have been told no purpose in putting in a higher octane rating than called for so putting in 94 waste of money.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doh! I meant "due" to your location, not "do". I think I just got kicked out of Mensa :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had a series of BMWs that take 91 and that is all I put in. I don't have my F Pace yet but I assume from this forum the same 91 and that is the only ocatane level I will put in it.

I only dtive about 12,000 kilometers per year that is kilometers not miles and I write off a portion for business so gas octane and gas mileage are not factors for me in buying a vehicle. If it was it would not be a 380HP six. I would be looking for alternatves in the segment such as the MB GLC with the 4 cylinder.

As for brand of gas I really do not pay any attention. We have different brands in Ontario, the major ones being, Shell, Petro Canada, Husky and Esso. Someone mentioned Shell, why Shell?

Also I have been told no purpose in putting in a higher octane rating than called for so putting in 94 waste of money.
I mentioned Shell. It's what has been recommended to me in the past from BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, and Land Rover dealers. There is a detergent in Shell's highest octane that does clean the system and is not just a marketing gimmick. Otherwise refined gas is pretty much the same

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm generally one to put in only as much octane as necessary to avoid knocks. That said, I've never even considered compromising on my F-Type S and figure the same for the F-Pace S. Why pay for the ponies and not feed them? My only compromise is that I will fill up at Costco when I have the chance, but I know the local distributor (Kenan). Otherwise, it's BP.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If anyone answers anything other than yes, you should not own this car.

I can tell you honestly - these cars are tuned for the higher octane fuel, and even a few points below does make a difference. I have put 'regular' in my Jags and Evoque a couple of times in the past when 91+ octane wasn't available, and dear God can you tell a difference. The car actually feels more sluggish.

In all honesty, whatever you do - stick with the recommended octane rating or above. If you can't afford that fuel price, you really shouldn't be buying a car with the kind of performance engine that requires it.
I find it difficult to believe people will spend this amount of money on a great car and then even consider skrimping on fuel! Buy a Kia!

Reactions: JK8112 and hookah

·
Registered
56 Posts
Is not only about the poor performance...but about the increased fuel consumption.
Try it out !
Put regular gas and go have a drive on the highway on cruise control. Count the km.
Then do the same with supreme gas.
I did it a few times, just to convince myself.

As well, I'm kind of sold on Shell gas.
I find I get a bit better gas milleage, but I could be wrong on this one because my tests are not always the same.

As for the OCTANE rate BE CAREFULL @ Europe and N/A do not have the same measurement standards.
US and Europe calculate it in different ways which makes US fuel look like it has a lower rating but in reality they've got the same rating. US shows the average of the Research Octane Number (RON) and Motor Octane Number (MON) rating, which is the Anti-Knock Index (AKI) while Europe just shows the RON rating which gives a higher number than the MON rating.

Reactions: deafsoundguy

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I concur with Hookah. I've confirmed many times that you can get better mileage from premium than regular if the engine is designed for higher grade fuel, or a big vehicle with a load that's demanding power and it's not getting the explosion from Arco gas water.

In the US, not all states have regulated gas pumps. So who knows what you could be getting. You could be getting fermented pig poop. And then there's all the ethanol being added at certain times of the year in some places. It's a real crapshoot. Buying Premium at least assures you, you're getting good stuff with additives, at least from top tier companies. I also agree that Shell has excellent gas, but from all the testing/experimenting I've done, I cannot say that I've seen any more performance out of Shell than Chevron, 76, or BP, but of course who can keep track of cleaners and other additives. :confused:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts