Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ATT freebie is expiring and I recently got "free" extra lines from T Mobile. I was wondering if I can just change the ATT sim to T Mobile and does that work ? Where exactly is the SIM - Is that the one near the spare tire ?

And if I do that will the Emergency Roadside, Traffic and Remote still work - is that another SIM ?

I had serious problem go get all the electronics to work when I took the F-PACE off the lot and I use WiFI a lot and seem to have better reception than a phone hotspot.

Thanks for the advice and experiences.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have has T Mobile since day 1 and it worls great in both of my FP's. The sim card is in the armrest. Pop it out and pop the new one in. I am 99% sure it is the medium size sim card.

·
Registered
581 Posts

And if I do that will the Emergency Roadside, Traffic and Remote still work - is that another SIM ?

Thanks for the advice and experiences.
Just an additional point of clarification to the response above from Stormgrey:

Emergency Roadside is indeed connected through another network. And, it is handled by the "built-in" SIM, NOT the "owner subscribed" one that supports Remote Start, Route Planner and detailed traffic. So it is not affected by your AT&T contract or the replacement SIM card in your armrest.

This "built-in" connection for Emergency Roadside I believe is good for five years.

If you want more insight into the different connections, search this forum for posts from VZX-CO on the subject. He's contributed with the most intelligible answers to a lot of these questions in the past.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Would it be fair to say that the SIM in the F Pace is a GSM based SIM and not a CDMA based SIM? IE; you could not use a Verizon SIM vs a ATT/T-Mobile SIM? Or could you use either ??

·
Registered
265 Posts
Would it be fair to say that the SIM in the F Pace is a GSM based SIM and not a CDMA based SIM? IE; you could not use a Verizon SIM vs a ATT/T-Mobile SIM? Or could you use either ??
Correct. Since the car is connecting over 3G then either AT&T or T-Mobile (and some other regional carriers and MVNOs) will work but it has to be a GSM based carrier. When they decide to update the device to 4GLTE then you should be able to use an LTE SIM from any carrier including Verizon to connect assuming that the radio they use supports the proper LTE frequencies for each carrier.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Correct. Since the car is connecting over 3G then either AT&T or T-Mobile (and some other regional carriers and MVNOs) will work but it has to be a GSM based carrier. When they decide to update the device to 4GLTE then you should be able to use an LTE SIM from any carrier including Verizon to connect assuming that the radio they use supports the proper LTE frequencies for each carrier.

And so if the 2018's are 4G connectivity then either carriers card would work regardless of GSM or CDMA? I'm thinking I could just add a line to my Verizon acct for less money than signing on with ATT. If this is really true then I won't even get started with the 3 months on ATT, I'll just start with VER...... Does the vehicle hold a NANO or MICRO sim card? Thank you for your help..!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have has T Mobile since day 1 and it worls great in both of my FP's. The sim card is in the armrest. Pop it out and pop the new one in. I am 99% sure it is the medium size sim card.
Did you register SIM card somehow?
I don't have 3G data service because according AT&T my SIM card was 'returned to stock' i.e. unlinked from my car somehow.
It happened after visit to JLR service center and they vague on details.
Can't resolve this issue for couple months already.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Did you register SIM card somehow?
I don't have 3G data service because according AT&T my SIM card was 'returned to stock' i.e. unlinked from my car somehow.
It happened after visit to JLR service center and they vague on details.
Can't resolve this issue for couple months already.
With T Mobile it's plug and play.

·
Registered
112 Posts

With T Mobile it's plug and play.
Unfortunately I have 3 lines with AT&T already and a lot of traffic on data plan so T-Mobile is not an option for me

·
Registered
265 Posts
And so if the 2018's are 4G connectivity then either carriers card would work regardless of GSM or CDMA? I'm thinking I could just add a line to my Verizon acct for less money than signing on with ATT. If this is really true then I won't even get started with the 3 months on ATT, I'll just start with VER...... Does the vehicle hold a NANO or MICRO sim card? Thank you for your help..!
unfortunately no. My understanding from reading these forums is that the 2018 F-Pace will ship with 4G and not 4GLTE, they are two different technologies. 4G is based on the old GSM standard while LTE is a new wireless technology. CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint did not move to sim based device registration until they rolled out their LTE networks.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, not only will the F-Pace have to have a modem that supports 4GLTE it also has to support the different frequencies and bands that each carrier runs their LTE network on. For example, AT&T runs its LTE network on bands 2, 4, 5, 17 across frequencies of 1900, 1700 and 700MHz while Verizon supports the same frequencies but across bands 2, 4, 13. *
For*comparison most European carriers have deployed LTE across bands 3, 7, 20, and frequencies of 1800,2600 and 800 MHz

Phonearena.com has some good articles on LTE deployments if you are looking for some light reading :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You for the replies. StomrGrey said the SIM is in the armrest ? I guess I am missing something.

I assume this is the place with the 12V, USB and SDCARD for NAV - that does not have a SIM card. However the manual Page 198 "rear parcel shelf in the luggage compartment " I found something that looks similar next to spare tire ? It does have SIM and I was looking for confirmation that it was the "right SIM".

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thank You for the replies. StomrGrey said the SIM is in the armrest ? I guess I am missing something.

I assume this is the place with the 12V, USB and SDCARD for NAV - that does not have a SIM card. However the manual Page 198 "rear parcel shelf in the luggage compartment " I found something that looks similar next to spare tire ? It does have SIM and I was looking for confirmation that it was the "right SIM".
The sim card that I am talking about is in the arm rest, back wall right next to the SD card slot for the navy system. I assume, dangerous I know, that what you are finding in the trunk is the data connection for the free connectivity. I will take a look when I get home from my trip.

·
Registered
581 Posts

Look at page 163 and 226 in the manual. There is a picture of what you will see when you lift the armrest, on the back-wall as Mashie described. The ports are lit up (even with the ignition off) when you raise the armrest and the slot is clearly marked SIM.

Otherwise, the questions are:- are you in the US, what specs/functions are in your car, ICT or ICTP, do you have a non-standard configuration, are you possibly confusing the SIM slot for an SD card slot?

·
F Pace Expert
2,555 Posts
Grrrrr.....all or most of this is covered in detail in MANY other threads but.....

Here are a couple of observations:

1) Two separate communications systems/SIMs in the vehicle. Don't TOUCH the one in the back part of the vehicle. That services REMOTE START, Emergency button, and Jaguar service button. It also does stuff like theft control and diagnostic data to Jaguar. The "user/owner" SIM is - as noted above - located in the armrest compartment. This is the one that comes ATT but you could swap out for T-Mobile which is so far the only 3G GSM SIM that people seem to have found in US. Not sure what the situation will be with 2018's on the swap/3G/4G/4G LTE situation. The owner SIM provides internet connectivity/data for real(er) time traffic, live weather/news, online search of points of interest, route planner app, InControl app data and some other stuff.

2) It continues to amaze me the lengths people buying $60,000-$75,000 vehicles will go to stress out about saving $90 a year. The ATT data plan for a year is like $150. Verizon monthly add on is like $5-10 for a car device. So using Verizon instead of ATT saves like $90 a year. If you are mostly using SIM/account for car data the ATT plan is way more than sufficient amount of data. If you're going to have kids surfing iPads and downloading video through WiFi hot spot then maybe getting to where you can tap your shared data plan is a good idea. Otherwise, keep life simple, just use the darn ATT SIM and pay $150 a year. Right now, for 2017, you CANNOT use Verizon unless you do it through your phone as a hotspot.

3) For the person whose SIM number got disconnected from their VIN# I've posted elsewhere the person to contact for help and it's worked well for others. See other threads.

4) RELAX! A lot of these questions seem to come from people who are already overthinking their vehicle as a way to pass the time until it arrives. I know I did same, much of it a waste of time and gained me nothing except illusion of control. Relax, read the online manual a few times, watch some Jaguar videos but don't try to pre-plan every single aspect of ownership in advance. Get the thing, figure things out.

5) Be sure to use the pre delivery letter and make sure all your communications (Remote, Route Planner, Jaguar call button, etc. etc.) and online access accounts (Jaguar InControl, Jaguar Route Planner, ATT) are set up and working BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP on day one.

Some of you may be interested in this thread:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/electronics/25857-unable-renew-wifi-hot-spot-t.html

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Grrrrr.....all or most of this is covered in detail in MANY other threads but.....

Here are a couple of observations:

1) Two separate communications systems/SIMs in the vehicle. Don't TOUCH the one in the back part of the vehicle. That services REMOTE START, Emergency button, and Jaguar service button. It also does stuff like theft control and diagnostic data to Jaguar. The "user/owner" SIM is - as noted above - located in the armrest compartment. This is the one that comes ATT but you could swap out for T-Mobile which is so far the only 3G GSM SIM that people seem to have found in US. Not sure what the situation will be with 2018's on the swap/3G/4G/4G LTE situation. The owner SIM provides internet connectivity/data for real(er) time traffic, live weather/news, online search of points of interest, route planner app, InControl app data and some other stuff.

2) It continues to amaze me the lengths people buying $60,000-$75,000 vehicles will go to stress out about saving $90 a year. The ATT data plan for a year is like $150. Verizon monthly add on is like $5-10 for a car device. So using Verizon instead of ATT saves like $90 a year. If you are mostly using SIM/account for car data the ATT plan is way more than sufficient amount of data. If you're going to have kids surfing iPads and downloading video through WiFi hot spot then maybe getting to where you can tap your shared data plan is a good idea. Otherwise, keep life simple, just use the darn ATT SIM and pay $150 a year. Right now, for 2017, you CANNOT use Verizon unless you do it through your phone as a hotspot.

3) For the person whose SIM number got disconnected from their VIN# I've posted elsewhere the person to contact for help and it's worked well for others. See other threads.

4) RELAX! A lot of these questions seem to come from people who are already overthinking their vehicle as a way to pass the time until it arrives. I know I did same, much of it a waste of time and gained me nothing except illusion of control. Relax, read the online manual a few times, watch some Jaguar videos but don't try to pre-plan every single aspect of ownership in advance. Get the thing, figure things out.

5) Be sure to use the pre delivery letter and make sure all your communications (Remote, Route Planner, Jaguar call button, etc. etc.) and online access accounts (Jaguar InControl, Jaguar Route Planner, ATT) are set up and working BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP on day one.

Some of you may be interested in this thread:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/electronics/25857-unable-renew-wifi-hot-spot-t.html

#1 I know that and I would never screw with the rear SIM card..That should be pretty obvious to most people....
#2 Its not the money! I DON'T want to F with another cell phone provider to mail me , email me, get me to sign up for Direct TV, Wait on hold for 45 min... ETC, if somehow easily I could start right out just adding to my current Verizon plan...
#3 N/A
#4 When I see a good question asked, I would like to get to the bottom of it, so when it gets here, I already KNOW what to do and I don't have to re ask it again.... and these usually are not RTFM questions....
#5 I DO plan on the pre delivery letter.. I can give it to the dealer and will... He might say, Good Idea and we will follow it..... and he might wipe his &^% with it and say here is your vehicle according to our normal PDI procedures. That all really remains to be seen...

But telling us to relax and go watch videos, kinda takes the point out of the give and take exchange of Ideas and information on here, and doesn't make this forum sound like a welcoming place for potential buyers, expecting F Pace parents, and owners alike...Especially from a Senior and very Knowledgeable member like you......

·
Registered
581 Posts

VZX-CO

I agree totally with what you are saying.

But, you may be overreacting a bit here. Previous posts have already pointed to earlier threads (your's particularly). Looks like the OP has taken in the advice:

but he is now having trouble locating the SIM card in the armrest cubby.

·
F Pace Expert
2,555 Posts
never mind....trying to answer too many questions in one post and referring back to other threads too. wasn't trying a back-handed RTFM just suggesting ways to pass the time prior to delivery.

fyi, I haven't received a single thing from ATT regarding additional marketing just an initial email telling me my freebie was running out. I think they are approaching car stuff differently than cell phone marketing but time will tell.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you happen to have current ATT unlimited plus plan, you may want to turn on the hotspot on your cell phone and use that.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Since my cell service is AT&T, when free trial ran out I added Jag to mobile plan. I share with my existing data for $10/month and they add 1GB data per month, which they call a bonus. Works great.

Reactions: Gorgon

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Since my cell service is AT&T, when free trial ran out I added Jag to mobile plan. I share with my existing data for $10/month and they add 1GB data per month, which they call a bonus. Works great.
I thought I had ready that there was an additional 1GB of data added to a share plan, thanks for confirming. This is my plan once it's time, I'll just move it to our AT&T plan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts