Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waiting on my MY2018 FP, and have been trying to do some research on the wifi deal. I have US Cellular service here in Wisconsin (AT&T's coverage is TERRIBLE). Are there others out there who are using their cell as a hotspot, rather than subscribing with AT&T for their "Wi-Fi InControl" product after the free trial is over? Have you been able to use a SIM from another carrier?

I have a 5GB/month plan with US Cellular, and I rarely go over 1GB. I fly solo, so no real need to consistently have wifi available for passenger use.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Waiting on my MY2018 FP, and have been trying to do some research on the wifi deal. I have US Cellular service here in Wisconsin (AT&T's coverage is TERRIBLE). Are there others out there who are using their cell as a hotspot, rather than subscribing with AT&T for their "Wi-Fi InControl" product after the free trial is over? Have you been able to use a SIM from another carrier?

I have a 5GB/month plan with US Cellular, and I rarely go over 1GB. I fly solo, so no real need to consistently have wifi available for passenger use.
Many people have been using their phones at hotpsots and it works well. Others have used T-Mobil SIMS and report those work too. Verizon does not have a 3G SIM so that isn't an option. If your cellular carrier has a 3G SIM option that might work too.

The car user infotainment/navigation/traffic info itself isn't too data intensive so you might go with the freebie ATT at first and see if that works ok for you even with not so great coverage. It might work fine and then the annual fee isn't very much if you choose to continue with ATT. This is the least hassle option. If that doesn't work then you can fall back to other options above. Be sure to use the pre-delivery letter posted elsewhere on here to insure your dealer, and you, get everything set up correctly for various accounts including ATT freebie plan when you get your vehicle.

Just as a reminder this is all for the user cell connection. There is also an embedded separate cell connection which the vehicle uses for Remote, ECall and BCall services and that will use ATT network and is not changeable.

Reactions: L-PACE

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Since I don't understand this too well yet.. What does the freebie/paid 3G enable that you may want or need? does it have to do with the Incontrol app?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
Since I don't understand this too well yet.. What does the freebie/paid 3G enable that you may want or need? does it have to do with the Incontrol app?
The user 3G SIM/account supperts some of the following; real time searching function for destinations, satellite overlay maps in navigation if you want them, photos of your destination, real time traffic info, synchronization of your destinations/routes with InControl Route Planner app and website (i.e. you can put a route into phone and it's synched into your vehicle, destinations entered in vehicle synched to the cloud and your phone app, etc.), provides data connection for in car hotspot so devices like kid's ipad can use the car data connection. I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff and a lot of this assumes ICTP. There is a SIM for this connection that lives in a socket in the center console. Your vehicle will come with a three month trial from ATT which you can then choose to renew for about $150 a year. Of the above, real time traffic and route planner functionality is what I've found most useful. An alternate to this is using your phone's hotspot capability and then linking the car to that.

There is a separate, built in, not accessible for changeable, cellular communications channels that rund the car telematics including emergency calling and jaguar assistance buttons. It also is what supports the Remote Start/info app communication and theft prevention/tracking.

·
Registered
341 Posts
So from the ICT side of the house, I don't think the WiFi has anything to do with Nav. I use my Nav all the time, including traffic, but while I had my WiFi trial, it said I had used 0 data. Now that it's expired, I still get the traffic info.

Since I'm the only one in my car most of the time, I didn't pay the $150 since no one is using the hotspot.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Many people have been using their phones at hotpsots and it works well. Others have used T-Mobil SIMS and report those work too. Verizon does not have a 3G SIM so that isn't an option. If your cellular carrier has a 3G SIM option that might work too.

I thought it was reported somewhere that the 18's will support 4G SIMs - did that get debunked?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I thought it was reported somewhere that the 18's will support 4G SIMs - did that get debunked?
Good point but I don't think it was ever confirmed.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Good point but I don't think it was ever confirmed.
those with 18s can only hope and that the tech will work across all carriers not just GSM, but all LTE. Could be challenging but if they can do it in mobile phones, why not a new Telematics module in our beloved F-Pace. Or maybe I'm asking too much. Either way, I'm stuck with 3G for at least a few more years on AT&T. Working great now though! So I"m happy.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
OK went and pulled the Jaguar official F Pace 2018 press kit and sure enough does say this:

"• Connect up to eight devices on the 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot, transforming the vehicle into a mobile office or entertainment centre"

·
Registered
578 Posts
The response from VZX-CO above is about as good as you will get, in answer to your direct question. You can also gleam the "full" list by looking up "Connected Navigation" in the manual on pages 212-on, and then 222 & 223.

There's been very little however, even on this forum, on exactly how much of a benefit each of these features is ...... and it will vary from one owner to the next e.g. if you don't do a lot of city driving, the real time traffic flow may not be of much use to you, since even with the "freebie" connection, I do get "some" traffic data (even after four months, I have not been able to evaluate the exact difference on this one). Similarly, POI's (restaurants, gas stations etc.) are said to be more up to date (live) in comparison to the POI data that is part of the map data already included in your ICTP ..... just how much more up to date? I don't know.

Similarly, does the hot-spot feature (you can connect multiple devices to the net using the 3G in your car as the hotspot) mean much to you, when almost everyone can use their own phone as a hotspot in the car?

If these "extra" features/ refinements/conveniences are not of everyday use to you, you should also be aware, that you can get exactly the same functionality (perhaps to use on an "as needed" basis), by using your phone as a hotspot and connecting the car that way.

Just a thought to round out the picture some more.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
OK went and pulled the Jaguar official F Pace 2018 press kit and sure enough does say this:

"• Connect up to eight devices on the 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot, transforming the vehicle into a mobile office or entertainment centre"
Aha! I was the one that originally brought that rumor up, but then couldn't find my source info when I went to confirm it again. Glad to know I wasn't going crazy! :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
The response from VZX-CO above is about as good as you will get, in answer to your direct question. You can also gleam the "full" list by looking up "Connected Navigation" in the manual on pages 212-on, and then 222 & 223.

There's been very little however, even on this forum, on exactly how much of a benefit each of these features is ...... and it will vary from one owner to the next e.g. if you don't do a lot of city driving, the real time traffic flow may not be of much use to you, since even with the "freebie" connection, I do get "some" traffic data (even after four months, I have not been able to evaluate the exact difference on this one). Similarly, POI's (restaurants, gas stations etc.) are said to be more up to date (live) in comparison to the POI data that is part of the map data already included in your ICTP ..... just how much more up to date? I don't know.

Similarly, does the hot-spot feature (you can connect multiple devices to the net using the 3G in your car as the hotspot) mean much to you, when almost everyone can use their own phone as a hotspot in the car?

If these "extra" features/ refinements/conveniences are not of everyday use to you, you should also be aware, that you can get exactly the same functionality (perhaps to use on an "as needed" basis), by using your phone as a hotspot and connecting the car that way.

Just a thought to round out the picture some more.

Well from what I know on a limited basis so far the things that would be most important to us would be the remote start function and climate control and they ability to plan routes on my home device and have them preloaded when I get in the vehicle.. I'd like to do these things for free, But if I had to pay 150.00 a year, I potentially would if they worked flawlessly.. Thank you for all your help ExOz and VZX-CO.

·
Registered
578 Posts
No worries, glad to help. After all, I see this sort of exchange as the main function of this forum.

Interestingly, your response has focused on one of the key distinctions between the "freebie" connection and the 3G (subscription):-

Remote Start and climate control is handled through the built-in (freebie) network; i.e. you don't need to keep up the Sim card subscription or even use your phone wifi (hotspot) in order to use Remote Start. It works the same way as the Assistance and Emergency buttons.

On the other hand, using Route Planner, requires your car to be connected to the internet, through either the subscription Sim or a WiFi network (your phone as a hotspot) in order for the destinations, favorites etc. that you plan on your phone or laptop to properly sync with the F Pace Nav system. FWIW, I find the Route Planner to be most useful with relatively sensible "ease of use" ( it does have one or two foibles/deficiencies).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Can I connect the car to my in home wifi network and then download destinations while it is sitting in the garage? I under stand how the mobile wifi hotspot would work, but my wife would like to send it places she wants to go for the day out of town the night before and then just recall them on the road.. does that make sense?

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
You might be slightly misunderstanding. Here's how it works for me.
- I plan my route, destinations on the Route Planner app on phone, rearrange things, etc.
- then when I get in car the routes, destinations are there, automatically transferred from the cloud into vehicle
- the above happens over the 3G connection but can as easily happen over a wifi connection

You don't really have to do any downloading or sending of data in traditional sense, it just happens.

Reactions: stbentoak

·
Registered
578 Posts
So you can see from VZX-CO’s post, that the “download” is actually a sync operation between your phone (and/or laptop), and your car, using the cloud that is associated with your Jaguar on-line account. And of course, while the sync is “going on” (virtually instantaneous) your car must be connected to the internet, either through 3G or a WiFi network. Once the sync is done, there is no longer a need for the network connection as the destinations are now stored in the car.

Given that this stuff with myriad options is getting as complex as running a computer, see a couple more comments below. Hopefully useful.

Can I connect the car to my in home wifi network and then download destinations while it is sitting in the garage?

Yes, your home WiFi can serve as the internet connection, as long as your car connects successfully to the home WiFi network (presumably while in the garage) and you don’t drive off before the sync is complete.

[/COLOR]I under stand how the mobile wifi hotspot would work, but my wife would like to send it places she wants to go for the day out of town the night before and then just recall them on the road.. does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense and yes she can do that as outlined above. In fact, we’ve used this method to enter a whole batch of destinations in one sitting.

There is only one other wrinkle we have found. When entering a destination in the car (as opposed to with the Route Planner), you can designate it as a Favorite and give it a label e.g. Uncle Tom’s Place. We have not found a way for Route Planner to attach a label to an address. It will just appear as an address in the car, once synced. You can subsequently assign a label, using the Nav system in the car, but until you do, it will just appear as an address.

Hope this is helpful rather than confusing.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No.. I absolutely get it... For reoccurring places that we would want to keep, we would permanently program and save those as favorites and name accordingly. But if we were going to multiple attractions in a neighboring city over a weekend, we'd like to load those at home and poke them as we advance thru them without entering them in stressful traffic situations. Can you have the Jag app on multiple devices like an Ipad, IPhone and android phone? Can any one of them control it at any point as long as both are connected? or do you have to stick with pretty much one device and the connected car?
And finally.. do you have to have the paid 3G connection to get better Nav then the normal Nav? Better traffic info vs None? Rerouting? We are not really impressed with SXM Nav/traffic we have in a current vehicle now....

THANK YOU! This site has been a big help as we are placing our order....

·
Registered
578 Posts
No.. I absolutely get it... For reoccurring places that we would want to keep, we would permanently program and save those as favorites and name accordingly. But if we were going to multiple attractions in a neighboring city over a weekend, we'd like to load those at home and poke them as we advance thru them without entering them in stressful traffic situations. So you can enter these (as discussed above) with any device before the weekend trip and then delete them when you get back home unless you want to designate any of them as Favorites.

Can you have the Jag app on multiple devices like an Ipad, IPhone and android phone? Yes, I use the Route Planner app on my android phone and/or the Jaguar Route Planner website accessed from my laptop interchangeably. I know VZX-CO uses the I phone app.
Can any one of them control it at any point as long as both are connected? Any and all of them interact and sync using the cloud associated with your Incontrol account.
or do you have to stick with pretty much one device and the connected car? No, any and all of them interact and sync using the cloud associated with your Incontrol account.

And finally.. do you have to have the paid 3G connection to get better Nav then the normal Nav? Better traffic info vs None? Rerouting? I can’t give you a judgemental assessment of how superior “better Nav”, “Rerouting” or “better traffic info” would be. Don’t have a comparison. We are not really impressed with SXM Nav/traffic we have in a current vehicle now....

THANK YOU! This site has been a big help as we are placing our order....
Finally, remember, you can connect your car to the mobile hotspot generated by your cell-phone (as long as you have the phone in the car) and can get exactly the same functionality as a subscribed 3G connection. That way you use your existing cell-phone data plan. A great option for occasional use

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks ExOz for the other responses..
what I find when I do Hotspot with my phone.. I have to go throught the full setup every time I get in the car.. I cant seem to get it to auto connect to my iphone ..

have you noticed the same ?

thanks

Matt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts