Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of looking at some different vehicles. Acura RDX, Lexus NX 200t just to name a few. Problem is trying to sell my wife on what car I choose. She doesn't have a problem with the RDX or 200t because those models, in her eyes, do not say "Look at my I have money." But the Jaguar name she feels will give off an air of "money".

I never really thought of this, I don't think someone who has premium named car as having money, they just are prioritizing where they want to spend it.

Curious if anyone else faced this, or is my wife just out there?

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am in the process of looking at some different vehicles. Acura RDX, Lexus NX 200t just to name a few. Problem is trying to sell my wife on what car I choose. She doesn't have a problem with the RDX or 200t because those models, in her eyes, do not say "Look at my I have money." But the Jaguar name she feels will give off an air of "money".

I never really thought of this, I don't think someone who has premium named car as having money, they just are prioritizing where they want to spend it.

I bet your situation is not uncommon. While my wife is not like that, she has other "issues." I think a Corvette, though a Chevy, is much more in your face....so to speak. When my then girlfriend (later my wife) saw me drive up for the first time in my 1997 Corvette, she rolled her eyes and told me I was going through a very early mid-life crisis. She HATED it when people would drive by and give a thumbs up. I personally think Lexus has become synonymous with quality and prestige much moreso than Jaguar or other similar brands.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did some price comparisons with more "mainstream" vehicles when I was configuring my F-Pace S, and I discovered that a Chevy Tahoe can cost as much as a fully loaded S when similarly equipped. Try it out for yourself; go to Chevy's web site and configure a Tahoe just like the Jaguar you want, and compare the prices. I think you'll be surprised at how close the pricing is.

Reactions: OneTwo

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Strange because just a few years ago, having a Jaguar usually meant you were spending a large portion of the time at the service department. To me, anything with a Bentley nameplate screams "I HAVE MONEY", as well as Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. I have never associated BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes or Land Rover as "I HAVE MONEY" vehicles let alone a Jaguar. Im not sure where she picked that up at.

Someone who has a Jaguar could be leasing it and could barely be paying there electric bill on time. If someone did not have money I think it would be very difficult to have a Ferrari, but its pretty easy with vehicles that are in the 50/60 thousand dollar range to lease or to finance.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Not with my wife, but I have a co-worker who really wanted the F-Pace but ended up buying a Cadillac SUV instead because he "didn't want to draw attention to himself." I found this interesting since I've always considered Cadillac to be high on the list of brand names intended to garner attention. As some of the other comments show, it's all largely perception.

If you can manage to get your wife on a test drive of the F-Pace, you might be able to change her perception though - it is just too fun to say no to! ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Strange because just a few years ago, having a Jaguar usually meant you were spending a large portion of the time at the service department. To me, anything with a Bentley nameplate screams "I HAVE MONEY", as well as Lamborghini, Ferrari etc. I have never associated BMW, Lexus, Audi, Mercedes or Land Rover as "I HAVE MONEY" vehicles let alone a Jaguar. Im not sure where she picked that up at.

Someone who has a Jaguar could be leasing it and could barely be paying there electric bill on time. If someone did not have money I think it would be very difficult to have a Ferrari, but its pretty easy with vehicles that are in the 50/60 thousand dollar range to lease or to finance.
And then some that have Jaguars and lease them have a successful business and take advantage of the tax write off so I think whether you lease or buy is irrelevant to your financial situation.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Two comments on this. First, I have an ex, who loved riding around with me in the Jaguar convertible, I asked her why, and she said "because it says you made it" so I think there is a money stigma to the brand. I likewise have been driving it and heard comments like "look at fancy pants in the Jaguar" - - so yes, in my opinion, there is a success stigma attached, even if not warranted. Second, I know I get treated completely different by some when I drive either of the Jaguars vs. driving my ******* Jeep. I do not get bothered by such things, as there are so many other stereotypes out there - I have even heard people in this forum talk about "Prius people" - and what do you think of when you see a middle-aged man driving a Miata, or that Camaro person, or, frankly, BMWs or Porsches. Whatever others think, or attach to what you drive, or what you wear, or where you vacation, or where you shop, well, $crew all of them. Enjoy it, no matter what "it" is.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
And then some that have Jaguars and lease them have a successful business and take advantage of the tax write off so I think whether you lease or buy is irrelevant to your financial situation.
I was not saying everyone who buys Jaguar leases... I was using an example to say someone who is driving a Jag could be leasing but on the other hand could barely be paying there bills. BUT someone in a Ferrari or Bentley would have to be pretty well off no matter if they leased, financed, bought.

Did you not understand the comparison I was making, did you think I was just putting out there that people who drive Jags lease and are unsuccessful?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife didn't want to appear ostentatious when we bought our first Jag xkr. She worried about what the neighbors would think. I was more along the lines of "who cares?" It was just fun to drive and made driving enjoyable vs simply having transportation. And I really didn't care about what other people thought. Nor do I judge anybody else on what they drive. To get to the point, after she drove it to work a few times it became her car. The truck became mine. She kind of felt the same way for a short time with the F-pace. Didn't want people to see her in a nice, brand new Jag. I think everybody who reads this knows how this story ends.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Frankly, I've had thoughts about the money factor myself...after growing up in affluent LA, I've always been aware of the 'car makes the man' mentality. Fortunately, I escaped.

That said...this next statement is why I will have a F-Pace at the end of the month. I told my wife, "If Trump wins, we are buying a Jag and getting f'd up every night, cos the end is near".

and here we are....

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Frankly, I've had thoughts about the money factor myself...after growing up in affluent LA, I've always been aware of the 'car makes the man' mentality. Fortunately, I escaped.

That said...this next statement is why I will have a F-Pace at the end of the month. I told my wife, "If Trump wins, we are buying a Jag and getting f'd up every night, cos the end is near".

and here we are....
With that mentality you should have gotten an F-type SVR!! ;)

Reactions: ndabunka

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
True...as you can see from my current vehicles, I have lived modestly through my car choices-until now!
Imagine the shock from everyone you knew if you pulled up in an SVR ;)!!! But the F-pace is the next best thing >:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Imagine the shock from everyone you knew if you pulled up in an SVR ;)!!! But the F-pace is the next best thing >:)
Non-Jag people often "do not have a clue" what an SVR is. Back in the early 2000's it was the same with my AMG. Only Benz enthusiast had ANY idea that the engine was hand built by a separate division of Mercedes. The new "Starboy" song by "THE Weekend/Daft Punk" may be bringing light to a few though ..."Pull off in that Roadster SV, ah"
Bought momma a crib and a brand new wagon means a G-Wagon Merc $100K SUV

My wife works in the lab at a Hospital and you have to have a 4-year degree plus a couple of additional year of medical training. Seems most are making less than $60K/year and often her co-workers are the solo bread winner so most drive Hondas, VWs, etc. One bought a used Highlander once and it was a big deal so she has always been conservative on what she drives. She drove a Highlander Hybrid for 8 years and I think at least part of the reason was so that she did not stand out. When we sold the HyHi she picked out a New Lexus ES300h because she likes the idea of getting 36-38MPG, the comfort and reliability they provide. I got her one with EVERY SINGLE option you could get on it and got about a 8% discount so we bought it right but I think it was over a year before her co-worker learned she drove a Lexus so yes, many women tie exclusivity and success to certain vehicles. To some that is a draw but others prefer to be less "out there".

If you wife is uncomfortable driving the Jag, buy her whatever she DOES feel comfortable in. It's not YOUR car so don't let your emotions get in the way of giving her what SHE wants. As you get older you will learn that you need to make her happy before you try to make yourself happy. 0:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife's comment when I told her I was strongly considering a FP regarded the issue of reliability. She said you have been driving 4Runners for the last 30 years and are you sure you want to deal with a Jaguar? I must admit I mulled over that issue for quite awhile, but I also didn't want to call to much attention to myself. In the end I decided I am going to order what I want and if somebody is going to make smart ass comments, so be it. When I was younger I worried a lot more what people thought or said. There are always going to be people who like to do that for whatever reason and I try to just let it slide off. The FP is flat out gorgeous and I have no regrets or buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My wife's comment when I told her I was strongly considering a FP regarded the issue of reliability. She said you have been driving 4Runners for the last 30 years and are you sure you want to deal with a Jaguar? I must admit I mulled over that issue for quite awhile, but I also didn't want to call to much attention to myself. In the end I decided I am going to order what I want and if somebody is going to make smart ass comments, so be it. When I was younger I worried a lot more what people thought or said. There are always going to be people who like to do that for whatever reason and I try to just let it slide off. The FP is flat out gorgeous and I have no regrets or buyers remorse.
I live in a modest middle-class development. It's a mix of blue collar workers and some white collar, including teachers, people who work for state utility companies or state government, with only a few corporate executive types like me. There have been layoffs and some foreclosures in my development. Despite the problems around us, we stayed. The cars on my street are all common Fords, used Jeeps, Camrys, various Hyundai models, a couple of pick-up trucks and Subarus. In the eleven years that we've lived here (we moved to PA from Minnesota) only two neighbors have purchased new cars. Most neighbors purchase used American brand vehicles.

I picked this neighborhood because it had some diversity, although it is primarily white. Most of all, it is not expensive. I had two daughters starting high school when we arrived. I knew I would need about 300K in cash to put them both through college, so buying below my means seemed like a smart idea. My neighborhood is middle class but not upper-middle-class, has good public schools, and zero crime. It is seven minutes from a ski resort and has a healthy mix of Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals. It was all brand new construction when we moved here from Minnesota, with a few homes still being built. I've "guesstimated" that most of my neighbors make a lot less money than I do. My wife is tied into the neighborhood gossip in which people talk about jobs they hope to get and how much those jobs pay. Most neighbors wives work outside the home to help pay their mortgages. My wife has never had to work outside the home. With one exception, my neighbors don't know that my job sends me all over the world, flying exclusively first or business class, staying in four and five-star hotels in places like mainland China, Australia, Brazil, South Africa, Dubai in the Middle East, Japan, and a dozen other countries. Most of our neighbors have never left the US, and those that have are mostly immigrants from other countries. So, when I came home with a brand new Lexus GS sport sedan, in a very exotic color, eyebrows went up. Three years later, I bring home my loaded Jag with its flashy color and arrogant 22-inch gunmetal gray Double Helix wheels. I got a lot of stares. One day last summer, one of my neighbors stopped staring and crossed the street. He looked at my F-Pace and said, "Jaguar, huh." He turned around and went right back across the street. Sometimes I do wonder if it was a neighbor that vandalized my car instead of a stranger. I hate to think about that, but I suppose it is possible.

I like my neighborhood. I don't want to "move up" to Bucks County or someplace similar. But neighbors can be resentful when you drive around in a Jaguar. Resentment bothers me. I've never been resentful that my colleagues at work live in much fancier neighborhoods than I do. I've never resented people driving around in sports cars that cost as much as my house is worth. People need to get over it. Life isn't fair. Resenting what someone else has is a waste of time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Back in May, dealers did not have any inventory and Jaguar had a few cars they sent to dealers for a few days for test drives, etc. I drove one and liked it and came back the next day to show my wife. We went alone on a lengthy test drive and when we were pulling back into the dealer lot she asked me if I was going to buy one. I told her I hadn't decided. My wife (who drives a BMW), told me that if I wasn't going to buy one, she was. That was the kick start I needed. So no, I don't have this problem with my wife.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My wife told me:

"If you want to get the Jag, do it now, because it's the last car you're going to buy before you retire."

Kerry

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I live in a modest middle-class development. It's a mix of blue collar workers and some white collar, including teachers, people who work for state utility companies or state government, with only a few corporate executive types like me. There have been layoffs and some foreclosures in my development. Despite the problems around us, we stayed. The cars on my street are all common Fords, used Jeeps, Camrys, various Hyundai models, a couple of pick-up trucks and Subarus. In the eleven years that we've lived here (we moved to PA from Minnesota) only two neighbors have purchased new cars. Most neighbors purchase used American brand vehicles.

I picked this neighborhood because it had some diversity, although it is primarily white. Most of all, it is not expensive. I had two daughters starting high school when we arrived. I knew I would need about 300K in cash to put them both through college, so buying below my means seemed like a smart idea. My neighborhood is middle class but not upper-middle-class, has good public schools, and zero crime. It is seven minutes from a ski resort and has a healthy mix of Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals. It was all brand new construction when we moved here from Minnesota, with a few homes still being built. I've "guesstimated" that most of my neighbors make a lot less money than I do. My wife is tied into the neighborhood gossip in which people talk about jobs they hope to get and how much those jobs pay. Most neighbors wives work outside the home to help pay their mortgages. My wife has never had to work outside the home. With one exception, my neighbors don't know that my job sends me all over the world, flying exclusively first or business class, staying in four and five-star hotels in places like mainland China, Australia, Brazil, South Africa, Dubai in the Middle East, Japan, and a dozen other countries. Most of our neighbors have never left the US, and those that have are mostly immigrants from other countries. So, when I came home with a brand new Lexus GS sport sedan, in a very exotic color, eyebrows went up. Three years later, I bring home my loaded Jag with its flashy color and arrogant 22-inch gunmetal gray Double Helix wheels. I got a lot of stares. One day last summer, one of my neighbors stopped staring and crossed the street. He looked at my F-Pace and said, "Jaguar, huh." He turned around and went right back across the street. Sometimes I do wonder if it was a neighbor that vandalized my car instead of a stranger. I hate to think about that, but I suppose it is possible.

I like my neighborhood. I don't want to "move up" to Bucks County or someplace similar. But neighbors can be resentful when you drive around in a Jaguar. Resentment bothers me. I've never been resentful that my colleagues at work live in much fancier neighborhoods than I do. I've never resented people driving around in sports cars that cost as much as my house is worth. People need to get over it. Life isn't fair. Resenting what someone else has is a waste of time.
Wow, I wouldn't put it past a resentful neighbor after hearing that. Moving on down to Chester County might be a nice change. We don't have many resentful people here, actually quite the opposite. For the most part its like a big family where I live, we all look out for each other. If someone is on vacation we will get their mail for them and watch their apartment and car and make sure nothing happens. I couldn't stand living in an environment like that.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts