Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow F-Pacers --

I travel frequently, and I end up in a lot of different rental cars. Lately, I've been choosing the new Chevy models because they all have CarPlay. Which is awesome when you are traveling because you don't have to hook up bluetooth and sync your phone. You can just plug in and off you go!

However, for those that are clamoring for CarPlay in your FPACE have you ever actually used it? It's rubbish with only one redeeming quality.

1. Spotify - The spotify App on the F-PACE is 1000x better than the spotify App on CarPlay. The CarPlay app doesn't allow you to search, and looks like it's designed for a 3 year old with very limited motor skills. Yes, i realize it was designed for safety to be able to be used while driving etc.. still, designed for a 3 year old. Side by side comparison the InControl Spotify App is so much better than CarPlay

2. Crapple Maps - uhm, I mean Apple Maps. You can't use Waze with CarPlay. And who in their right mind uses AppleMaps? Plus, with ITCP we have a much more beautiful Nav system. yes, maybe there are some complaints on routes, etc. But with the ability to get extra data like traffic, or put the map in the dash, or use heads up turn directions, there is no need to use Apple Maps. I will admit, sometimes I do run Waze as well, but mostly to verify a route and also keep track of the local cops.

3. Siri - Yes, voice control of Text messages would be great. However, with "hey siri" after the latest update I think most of this is taken care of.

4. Other carplay apps? MLB At bat, audible, podcast, etc. Anyone use them? If so, good for you.

So what is the one redeeming quality? Apple allows you to use Carplay in the background. Meaning, that you can plug your phone in, leave it locked and it will work. Apple restricts this functionality from the ITCP Apps. Meaning your phone has to be unlocked and the screen on for this to work. That's my one big complaint. If i could leave my phone locked, I wouldn't have a complaint at all.

Guys, I'm an apple fanboy. I love it, got it all, iPhones, macs, iPads, apple watch, you name it.. but CarPlay, not that exciting to me.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are those of you who feel differently!

Dave

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I expect Car Play to evolve over time and get better with each successive iOS release. Not sure we can say the same thing about ICTP but I hope that I'm wrong.

I do agree that I'd prefer to use Waze or even Google Maps on my iOS device before I'd want to use Apple Maps but AM is much better than it was when it launched.

While Car Play was a feature I was looking for in a new car it didn't stop me from moving forward with the F-Pace. Can't wait to get it into my garage.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
Have CarPlay aftermarket in another vehicle and
1) I use both audible and podcasts extensively on road trips, ICTP makes a hash of these but I generally just manage through the phone rather than ICTP but play through ICTP so not that big a deal.
2) integration of text messaging, CarPlay makes it really easy to handle and respond to text messages. I can get somewhat similar using Siri through ICTP after the late 2016 update but CarPlay is much better at it.
3) quickly getting voice navigation. yes I know Apple Maps can suck but there are many times I need to find something quickly and can just call out to CarPlay to find it and guide me there.

I don't find it rubbish, as with ICTP, using it a lot and learning it's ins and outs it is a pretty useful system. I'm not as disappointed as I was that it isn't available in F-Pace but sure would be nice.

Reactions: Okie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't find it rubbish, as with ICTP, using it a lot and learning it's ins and outs it is a pretty useful system. I'm not as disappointed as I was that it isn't available in F-Pace but sure would be nice.
OK :) Rubbish might be a stretch to far, but even with all the quirks, i'm fairly happy with my ITCP system and in comparison to CarPlay I think, at least how I use the system, it beats CarPlay. But again, that's just for me. With the Spotify App being the big winner.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Why wouldn't you want it when $15k cars come with it standard these days?

Not the biggest Apple Maps fan(I use waze) but it is still better than the system navi for its intelligence and as mentioned the voice features

Text messages is another huge one.

Also, Apple enabled wireless CarPlay back in iOS 9 but no car manufacturer that I know of has actually implemented it--shows you how slow their development cycle is(due to a number of factors including the obscene regulatory environment).

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well... a 15K car has it so a company can save money on development costs of their own infotainment systems. Now... I think we can all agree that ITCP has had it's bumps and bruises. It's definitely better than what I had on my Grand Cherokee before this.

I just found the actual CarPlay interface to be very lacking. Works great if I'm renting a car because it's quick and easy. However, if I owned the car, I like something more robust and am really increadibly pleased with the ITCP system.

What other system gives us the versatility that ITCP does? We can change the configuration of our home screen, multiple different map views with different information (traffic, weather, a 360 Street view upon arrival, Satellite, 3D, etc). Not to mention the ability to display that in our dash. Carplay can't do that.

The point of my original post was, if you have spent time with CarPlay, you might actually realize that the system we have is superior. But again.. that's just this guys opinion.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'll reserve judgement for when I pick up my F-Pace and use ICTP. But I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of voice input. I've heard there may be a software update that adds this functionality. Also, from my brief time on the forum the In Control apps seem to leave much to be desired. If ICTP is a platform that JLR will invest in and improve over time then I'm a little more excited. If I have to go to the dealer for each of these improvements it makes the process less ideal. Would prefer that I could just update the system OTA like any other piece of electronics in my house.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well... a 15K car has it so a company can save money on development costs of their own infotainment systems. Now... I think we can all agree that ITCP has had it's bumps and bruises. It's definitely better than what I had on my Grand Cherokee before this.

I just found the actual CarPlay interface to be very lacking. Works great if I'm renting a car because it's quick and easy. However, if I owned the car, I like something more robust and am really increadibly pleased with the ITCP system.

What other system gives us the versatility that ITCP does? We can change the configuration of our home screen, multiple different map views with different information (traffic, weather, a 360 Street view upon arrival, Satellite, 3D, etc). Not to mention the ability to display that in our dash. Carplay can't do that.

The point of my original post was, if you have spent time with CarPlay, you might actually realize that the system we have is superior. But again.. that's just this guys opinion.
Why on earth do you have the mistaken impression it's one or the other? They could implement it and allow the user to decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All of this really comes down to two things: integration and control.

Integration: CarPlay is a foundation for developing applications that work in the car. There is a set of rules that govern how you can do things, a lot of which are related to the safety of doing app things in a multi-ton projectile. I could be wrong about this, but everything so far seems to be a layer of relatively lightweight apps on top of the car's existing infotainment system. Deeper integration would be possible if the manufacturers would commit to using CarPlay *as* the infotainment system instead of *on top of it*. This is a tough hurdle to overcome though. One reason is that not everyone is lucky enough to have an iPhone. The other is:

Control: Right now, the car companies have complete control over the infotainment systems they provide, which means they can control what information gets through to the CarPlay layer. The infotainment system can act as a firewall (in the IT sense, not the car sense), only allowing a bare minimum of information to flow between CarPlay and the car. It's not that they're necessarily hiding anything, but they can tightly control the data as much as they want/need to.

By the way, there are ways to code apps so that they're allowed to run in the background without being front-and-center, so that's on the developer to solve.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Why on earth do you have the mistaken impression it's one or the other? They could implement it and allow the user to decide.
Which is the typical implementation. Car Play runs alongside the existing OEM Nav system and the user has a choice of which to use.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
All of this really comes down to two things: integration and control.

Integration: CarPlay is a foundation for developing applications that work in the car. There is a set of rules that govern how you can do things, a lot of which are related to the safety of doing app things in a multi-ton projectile. I could be wrong about this, but everything so far seems to be a layer of relatively lightweight apps on top of the car's existing infotainment system. Deeper integration would be possible if the manufacturers would commit to using CarPlay *as* the infotainment system instead of *on top of it*. This is a tough hurdle to overcome though. One reason is that not everyone is lucky enough to have an iPhone. The other is:

Control: Right now, the car companies have complete control over the infotainment systems they provide, which means they can control what information gets through to the CarPlay layer. The infotainment system can act as a firewall (in the IT sense, not the car sense), only allowing a bare minimum of information to flow between CarPlay and the car. It's not that they're necessarily hiding anything, but they can tightly control the data as much as they want/need to.

By the way, there are ways to code apps so that they're allowed to run in the background without being front-and-center, so that's on the developer to solve.
This is a really good summary of the situation to which I'd add everyone wants the data on usage, location, etc. and a way to monetize it eventually. That seems to be the basic tension between Google/Apple and the car manufacturers.

My wish is that they'd offer the owner choice. Give me a $400 option to add CarPlay into my ICTP system and have it run alongside if needed.

I would agree that ICTP, now that it is generally working to spec, is far snazzier, customizable and does a lot more than CarPlay, mostly. However some of those things that are important to me; good management of podcasts and audiobooks are done much better in CarPlay than ICTP. However I also agree with posters who say it isn't either/or, give me the option of ICTP or ICTP with CarPlay on top. Oh, and Jaguar, if you aren't ever going to do it get your name off the Apple CarPlay alliance web page. Not having used it, I'd assume the situation with Android/Google is similar.

Other than Spotify the Jaguar/Bosch apps thing continues to be an embarrassing joke but that isn't really ICTP per se. While I see it can improved haven't seen but halting progress in doing so and not a large enough user base for major apps vendors to move apps into that environment without a lot of subsidy from Jaguar or Bosch.

PS: I still want an app that shows BRGs violating territorial boundaries and ability for local rulers to issue temporary transit permits :)
An app that alerts to other F-Pace's in vicinity and shows them on the navigation would be super fun. Any geeks out there wanna work that one?:cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
An app that alerts to other F-Pace's in vicinity and shows them on the navigation would be super fun. Any geeks out there wanna work that one?:cool:
I don't think that would be *too* hard to develop, and I could probably do it given some time. With the relatively small number of F-Paces out there though, I might have to list it on the App Store for $500.00 or more. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
PS: I still want an app that shows BRGs violating territorial boundaries and ability for local rulers to issue temporary transit permits :)
Should raise some Angel funds. Wanna do a Kickstarter?

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's hard to get excited about navigation. I hop in any car, say "OK Google", take me to wherever on my S7. Boom. Traffic is displayed and software is always up to date. Just not a fan of all the finger poking and submenus and screens in cars. This is why the fighter jets I flew had most of the buttons on the stick and throttle that you didn't even need to look at. I mean they go to all the trouble to project your speed in the windshield so your eyes don't have to look down, then they make a touchscreen full of submenus and distractions? Or maybe it's intended for the passenger to play with...What happened to steering wheel buttons?

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
It's hard to get excited about navigation. I hop in any car, say "OK Google", take me to wherever on my S7. Boom. Traffic is displayed and software is always up to date. Just not a fan of all the finger poking and submenus and screens in cars. This is why the fighter jets I flew had most of the buttons on the stick and throttle that you didn't even need to look at. I mean they go to all the trouble to project your speed in the windshield so your eyes don't have to look down, then they make a touchscreen full of submenus and distractions? Or maybe it's intended for the passenger to play with...What happened to steering wheel buttons?
Somewhat addressed in ICTP by ability to customize screens putting frequently used functions in one place at a primary level screen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't know about Apple Car, but I would violate my long-held preference regarding the sex of intimate counterparts to get Android Auto. Google provided best in class mapping before they bought Waze, and it has only gotten better since then. I still frequently use my phone, propped precariously behind the puck, instead of ICTP's navigation.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't know about Apple Car, but I would violate my long-held preference regarding the sex of intimate counterparts to get Android Auto. Google provided best in class mapping before they bought Waze, and it has only gotten better since then. I still frequently use my phone, propped precariously behind the puck, instead of ICTP's navigation.
That's the beauty of Car Play/Android Auto, they are both available on the units. I use Waze for navigation and will continue to run it next to ICTP until/if I get comfortable with the nav implementation. I would love to see Waze be a supported In-Control app, that would be amazing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also travel for work quite a bit - I have an employer-provided Ford Edge for local travel and Platinum status with Enterprise for when I'm further afield, so I've been in virtually every rental car imaginable over the past 4 years.

Almost every one of these cars from a base model Chevy Cruze to the Ford Edge to any number of Japanese cars has the ability to notify the driver of text messages, display them on the screen, or read them to me.

But not with ICTP.

It is amazing that such a modern infotainment system as ICTP seems not to know that text messaging even exists.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
I also travel for work quite a bit - I have an employer-provided Ford Edge for local travel and Platinum status with Enterprise for when I'm further afield, so I've been in virtually every rental car imaginable over the past 4 years.

Almost every one of these cars from a base model Chevy Cruze to the Ford Edge to any number of Japanese cars has the ability to notify the driver of text messages, display them on the screen, or read them to me.

But not with ICTP.

It is amazing that such a modern infotainment system as ICTP seems not to know that text messaging even exists.
What even weirder is that in navigation, with a route active, you can have the system text message people with updates on your itinerary so clearly some SMS messaging capability is buried somewhere.

Reactions: Okie
1 - 20 of 24 Posts