Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Why all the black wheels?

14K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Deltasierra 
#1 ·
I'm shopping for wheels right now and have noticed that what seems like the large majority of F-Paces have black wheels. I've never seen anything like it.

What's the big deal with the black wheels? Is there something I'm missing that is specific to the F-Pace that causes people to prefer the darker wheels?

#3 ·
One reason is that the popular black (instead of chrome) trim option packages include black wheels.

Reactions: danke
#4 ·
I remember reading "Black is the new chrome" somewhere and that stuck with me. Guy at Les Schwab told me he's seen way more interest in black wheels than ever before and it seems to be mostly just minorities buying chrome wheels. I guess painted wheels are in the neutral zone. When we saw the FPace with the black pack and black wheels the wife said that's the one. She's now nutty about black - and car we get is going to have to have black so I had to go out and immediately get her Lincoln wheels powder coated when we got it a few months ago. When I got my ELR that was the first thing I did was get black wheels. Everyone who saw my car before and after says it looks way better with the black wheels. But I understand they're not for everyone. My opinion they just look way sportier

#5 ·
The biggest mistake of my adult life thus far has been painting my F-pace wheels silver and not keeping them black. Chrome to me is a thing of the past, now automakers are doing Piano black or a darker colored chrome and at least a diamond-turned combo of silver/black.

#6 ·
I live on a small southern resort style island and would be the only all blacked out ride around. I don't want to stand out that much so I'm looking to go with a brush silver...

Here are some mock ups I photoshopped last night.

22x9 VARRO® - VD08 Matte Silver:

22x9 ASANTI® - ABL-12 Brushed Silver:

#7 · (Edited)
I dont think it’s possible to “out design“ professional car designers, i.e., make the car better looking than what the Jag designers offer

Aftermarket wheels draw too much attention to the wheels and take away from the aesthetics of the car design.

I think the only case for aftermarket wheels is if they are substantially lighter then OEM wheels-and then primarily for the track.

#9 ·
Yeah black packages from the factory and current styles seem to offer a lot of black, although Im still a bronze fan on some colours too

#13 ·
Danke, I think the black wheels are simply the "trend" now. However, I do think that the F-Pace, especially one with the Black pack, looks much better with Black or at least dark wheels. My 2017 F-pace S First Edition didn't have fully black wheels, but it was a mixture of gloss black and what I'd call gun metal. I think if you are hesitant going all the way to full black wheels, perhaps find a set of First Edition Double Helix's or have a set powder coated to your liking.
I think bigger wheels look better in darker colors and maybe that is why there is a trend to dark colors on wheels due to the manufacturers pushing bigger diameters. I'm not a fan of the F-Pace with big chrome or silver wheels. I think the bigger wheels look better when they aren't so bright.

Reactions: Dai Uy Ted
#14 ·
I believe the black out package including the black wheels gives any vehicle a sportier, sexier more aggressive look. It doesn't draw your attention away from the form lines and flow of the vehicle. And that's saying a lot since the F Pace is the sexiest SUV out there. That's what made my decision to buy an F Pace so easy.

#16 ·
Black all the way for me - sportier, more aggressive, and a nice contrast to non-black exterior paint. But I remember in high school in the 90s, it was all about chrome wheels. Times have changed, but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

As a side note, I really like how JLR offers a wide range of black wheel options. I wish other manufacturers did the same.

#18 ·
Okay! If youi're going to do the "black" thing, please, PUUHLEEZ, clean them once in a while. Too often I've seen the "black package" and I seriously believe that some people opt for black and believe they never have to wash the wheels again! After all, black is black and dirt is dirt -- just saved a car wash! Ugh!

#19 ·
CCFirst, great looking F-Pace First Edition. Wheels look good too, and match that silver trim on the First Edition well. I think that is the key, if you are doing 20 plus inch bright wheels on the F-Pace it would be great to have some silver trim to offset them. The Caseium Blue also helps not make the wheels be the only bright thing on the car.

KingFala, Agree... my black SVR Wheels (which are gloss) are a lot harder to keep clean than a nice set of machined silver wheels. Even my satin Ace Alloys, while black as well, look clean longer than the SVR wheels due to the satin finish. Black is tough to keep up with on keeping them clean.

#20 ·
... my black SVR Wheels (which are gloss) are a lot harder to keep clean than a nice set of machined silver wheels. Even my satin Ace Alloys, while black as well, look clean longer than the SVR wheels due to the satin finish. Black is tough to keep up with on keeping them clean.
My ceramic coating included the wheels (gloss black), and they're just as easy to keep clean with the California Duster as the rest of the car. But I'm not much of a mudder.

#21 ·
So my Ace Alloys were Opticoated, but not the stock Jag wheels. Maybe I should go get them done. The ACEs are satin finished and even with the Opticoat on them, they do get a little dirty. Not as bad as the stock Jag SVR Wheels though. Maybe an Opticoat appointment is called for. The SVR itself stays much cleaner than the wheels because it is fully opticoated.