Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What make & model of rooftop boxes/ski carriers is everyone using?

I'm loath to buy the Jaguar version as it's probably a rebranded Thule at 2x the price

Specifically, my concern is that the box mounts far enough forward to avoid contact with the rear hatch.

It will need to hold 210cm skis

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
What make & model of rooftop boxes/ski carriers is everyone using?

I'm loath to buy the Jaguar version as it's probably a rebranded Thule at 2x the price

Specifically, my concern is that the box mounts far enough forward to avoid contact with the rear hatch.

It will need to hold 210cm skis

Thanks
Yes, the OEM boxes are Thule. I bought a Thule Flow. It holds 210's (210,s .... Who are you: Glen Plake?"), but it is very limited in the vertical direction: it's thin such that a helmet will not fit on top of the skis.

Here' a previous post that covers most of your issues:
http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/276314-post25.html

Here's afew photos:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hey NVD ! Do you just lower the box onto the F-Pace with the Pulley System , for EASY Install ???
That is pretty Ingenious , my friend !!! ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey NVD ! Do you just lower the box onto the F-Pace with the Pulley System , for EASY Install ???
That is pretty Ingenious , my friend !!! ;)
Yeah. I spin the hoist with a cordless drill and a long rod. The gizmo works such that loading/unloading is a one-man operation.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Is that a 4-car garage?! ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@NVDesertrat -- love your setup!

While I'm not on 210s at the moment, there's a chance I could be back on them in the next year or two, plus allowing for cross-country skis.

Is the Flow box tall enough to accommodate a snowboard with the bindings folded down?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting...I went to the Thule site to "fit my car" with a roof box. They came back with no recommended products available...

·
Registered
158 Posts
@NVDesertrat -- love your setup!

While I'm not on 210s at the moment, there's a chance I could be back on them in the next year or two, plus allowing for cross-country skis.

Is the Flow box tall enough to accommodate a snowboard with the bindings folded down?
Thanks for the compliment YYZ! Yes: while the Flow is "thin", it'll handle snowboard bindings even if they are up. My XXL sized helmet fits in the rear edges, ski boots along the outside edges or on top of skis, skis and poles strapped down in the center. Hopefully you will return from the "Dark Side" to skis again!>:)

I use a ski-rack for day trips, cargo box for road trips. Check out this recent post:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum/jaguar-f-pace-photos-videos/26954-f-pace-ski-road-trip.html

·
F Pace Expert
2,553 Posts
Whoa on the Dark Side comments two sticker, "Can't we all just get along?" :)

I think most or all Thule boxes can be fit to F Pace since that is who makes their stuff for car top.

Reactions: NVDesertrat

·
Registered
158 Posts
Interesting...I went to the Thule site to "fit my car" with a roof box. They came back with no recommended products available...
Do Swede's even know Jag makes an SUV? Maybe Jag/Thule agreed to not actively undermine dealer sales of the Jag branded boxes. Anyway, I'm proof that at least the Thule Flow works. More importantly, I recommend it!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No dark side here -- but one of my kids has decided that she wants to take up snowboarding next season.

So with that, her ski racing, my Masters racing etc. the gear count is growing significantly

I do like the low profile look of the Flow box -- even the regular ski racks seem awfully high when mounted

·
F Pace Expert
2,553 Posts
No dark side here -- but one of my kids has decided that she wants to take up snowboarding next season.

So with that, her ski racing, my Masters racing etc. the gear count is growing significantly

I do like the low profile look of the Flow box -- even the regular ski racks seem awfully high when mounted
The regular ski rack has a nifty feature that once opened you can slide the ski bars towards you so skis/etc easily accessible. Mine sticks a bit but when it works makes life easier. Of course, you can also add deployable side steps for even easier access as NV and I have both done.

Reactions: NVDesertrat

·
Registered
132 Posts

You might want to look into the Yakima Skybox LoPro model. It is nearly the same length as the Thule Flow mentioned by the OP but it is a bit wider. Me and my 13 year old are also racers (Club 20-ish HDCP which isn't bad for an out-of-shape 54 year curmudgeon) and I have no problem getting 6 pairs into mine. It has adjustable clamps so it should be able to adapt to the cross bars on the F-Pace. I still have my '12 BMW X5 that I currently use it on and I plan on transferring it to the F-Pace, Velar, Stelvio, Levante or whatever I do finally end up buying. The LoPro opens from either side and I found it to be significantly more substantial/rigid than the Thule when I compared them side-by-side at my local REI. It's been a GREAT box for us for the past two years and it is under that magic 7-foot tall barrier even when mounted on my X5 using the Thule AerobladeEdge cross bars

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thule Cargo Box Measurements

I've been struggling with the cargo box decision. Thule doesn't have any specific recommendations on their website when the F-Pace is selected. I am very interested in the new Thule Motion XT. There is a handy dandy link on their website to assist with the decision on which Thule cargo boxes will fit your vehicle.

I installed the OEM crossbars on my F-Pace and took the front clearance measurement as recommended. According to my measurement the front clearance ins 54.5". I was considering the Tule Motion XT L but according to the specs, the Thule Motion XT XL will fit as well. Maybe I'll get the larger box.

Thule_Hatch_Clearance_US

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, the OEM boxes are Thule. I bought a Thule Flow. It holds 210's (210,s .... Who are you: Glen Plake?"), but it is very limited in the vertical direction: it's thin such that a helmet will not fit on top of the skis.

Here' a previous post that covers most of your issues:
Roof Cross Bars - Thule compatible?

Here's afew photos:

This looks awesome. How tall does the F-Pace get with this cargo box on top? We're replacing our garage door and was wondering how tall it needs to be to drive through it with this box on top.

·
Super Moderator
1,912 Posts
Should have asked before. what is the height of the ceiling inside the garage? Until you decide the make and model of the roof carrier I would allow 24" above your carrier bars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike, our garage is 10 ft tall, so plenty of space above. The current door opening is only 7 ft. tall, so I am considering making it 8 ft but I wonder if that's enough

1 - 20 of 24 Posts