Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am thinking of getting. 3.0 Premium and the included maintenance sounds pretty nice to me. My questions are...

1. What is covered exactly? Are we talking just oil changes and air filters? Or does this include everything else such as anything the manual may recommend within that 5 years/mileage (Differential, tranny, spark plugs etc...)

2. What's the interval on oil changes? I usually change my oil twice a year and that's it. If it's included I guess I can't pass it up. Be what if I did? Do they void the agreement or anything along those lines?

3. How long are these maintenance visits? Usually I like to wait until my vehicle is done. The closest dealer I would bring it to is about 30 minutes away.

Unrelated questions..feel free to chime in!

1. CarPlay is coming to the 2017's at some point correct? It's not a matter of if but when right?

2. Is it just me or is there really nowhere to put your stuff where the drive selection is? Seems like a huge waste of space. Could have been open storage?! I guess In the end it will prevent me from allowing stuff to pile up in there unlike my current Durango :)

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Hi, I am thinking of getting. 3.0 Premium and the included maintenance sounds pretty nice to me. My questions are...

1. What is covered exactly? Are we talking just oil changes and air filters? Or does this include everything else such as anything the manual may recommend within that 5 years/mileage (Differential, tranny, spark plugs etc...)

2. What's the interval on oil changes? I usually change my oil twice a year and that's it. If it's included I guess I can't pass it up. Be what if I did? Do they void the agreement or anything along those lines?

3. How long are these maintenance visits? Usually I like to wait until my vehicle is done. The closest dealer I would bring it to is about 30 minutes away.

Unrelated questions..feel free to chime in!

1. CarPlay is coming to the 2017's at some point correct? It's not a matter of if but when right?

2. Is it just me or is there really nowhere to put your stuff where the drive selection is? Seems like a huge waste of space. Could have been open storage?! I guess In the end it will prevent me from allowing stuff to pile up in there unlike my current Durango :)

1. Everything is covered under the warranty but nothing is changed except oil an filters.
2. The interval is 1 year or 16K miles
3. Should be no more than a couple of hours at best. The question is will the dealer take your car right into the shop when you arrive. Sort of doubt that.

1. Car Play is not coming to the 2017 model year to my knowledge.
2. You are correct. The console offers little to no storage space just the infamous cup holders.

·
Registered
129 Posts
1. Everything is covered under the warranty but nothing is changed except oil an filters.
Not sure I follow you here. I read that all scheduled maintenance is covered, and I have not seen a manufacturer not schedule brake fluid, plugs etc If everything is covered how can they only change oil and filters?

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
Because plugs are 80 to 100K miles for change so not covered under warranty from the standpoint of scheduled to be changed. If a plug were found to be defective it would be covered. Otherwise not necessary to change while under warranty.

Differential. It does not call for a change in fluid during the warranty period. If it were to leak or go bad it would be covered. Getting the idea. JLR is not stiupid when it comes to the warranty. They know if they have a solid drive train and suspension there should be no issues. Don't you think KIA knows what they are doing. 10 years 100,000 mile warranty. They have drivers fooled into thinking that all the wear and tear parts will be covered. Your tires. brake pads rotors etc. are not covered under warranty unless there is premature failure. THat is considered normal wear and tear.

The differential seals have failed already on some FP's and has been covered under warranty. I think you should you concern yourself with the features and functions you are interested in. The warranty is a bonus that you hope you never have to use other than getting free oil changes and fluid checks.

If you put a lot of miles on your vehicles you will run out of warranty long before your years are up. Hope you get the vehicle. It's wicked fast and handles more like a sports car than a big SUV. Enjoy the forum, Hope you make a good choice.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Guess I have to read that part, haven't got to it yet. On the BMWs they cover the wipers and other things although most service does fall after the warranty period as here.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
You are all mixing apples and oranges. The car has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty. Although warranty and maintenance may sound alike the only similarity is that JLR is obligated to fix anything that is broken according to their warranty brochure. It does not include normal wear and tear items such as tires (which have their own warranty) brake pads, rotors, wiper blades etc. If you had a rotor warp in lets say 10K miles or pads wear out in 5K miles you might have an issue there.

Otherwise JLR will replace the oil and filter at one year intervals or 16K miles which ever comes first. They will also check all the other fluid levels, your brakes, check for thrown codes or anything else you have a problem with. They will not change plugs, differential, transmission or other fluids as they are not required to be changed under the maintenance agreement portion of the car.

If you read the maintenance and warranty documentation that came with the vehicle it will be crystal clear.

BTW don't believe everything you hear after all they are car salesmen. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I got to thinking about this, and actually pulled the "Passport to Service" manual out of the car..yeah, RTFM... there are other items that will be replaced during the 5 year/60,000 mile EliteCare Program. As stated in the manual, "The program covers scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for five years.... ." So then you go to the maintenance schedule, and see that there are a lot of annual checks for levels and operation and such, but there are also more replacement items than just oil and filter for the period. For the F-Pace 3.0L Gas: Annually, oil and oil filter, replace pollen filter, top off underhood fluids. At three years, replace engine air filter, replace brake fluid. Plugs come in at the five year mark, which might be interesting because it states "for five years" so I assume the five year point would be the last provided service. The point is, it does include more than oil and filter.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Wonder how much the annual service is outside the service window.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got to thinking about this, and actually pulled the "Passport to Service" manual out of the car..yeah, RTFM... there are other items that will be replaced during the 5 year/60,000 mile EliteCare Program. As stated in the manual, "The program covers scheduled maintenance as detailed in the Passport to Service for five years.... ." So then you go to the maintenance schedule, and see that there are a lot of annual checks for levels and operation and such, but there are also more replacement items than just oil and filter for the period. For the F-Pace 3.0L Gas: Annually, oil and oil filter, replace pollen filter, top off underhood fluids. At three years, replace engine air filter, replace brake fluid. Plugs come in at the five year mark, which might be interesting because it states "for five years" so I assume the five year point would be the last provided service. The point is, it does include more than oil and filter.
After your previous post, I went out to my car to get the "passport to service" because I could have sworn that I remembered there was more, plus I knew that plugs were in there... Well, you beat me to it. I am also curious about that 5 yrs..... Is Jag trying to pull a BMW on us here? Replace after 5 yrs, but the coverage is only 5 yrs??? Gonna have to ask my dealer about that one...

One other thing, 16k mi for oil is ridiculous! Synthetic oils are good, and last a long time, but no way they make 16k (unless you drive in a bubble) plus the filters won't last that long. Even BMW reduced their OCI from 15k mi to 10 or 12k presumably after they were flooded with oil analysis reports from their customers. I think we should do the same. That 16k number was set to minimize cost on their maintenance plan, not because they came up with oil that doesn't break down and filters that, you know, filter crap after that much use.

·
F Pace Expert
2,555 Posts
After your previous post, I went out to my car to get the "passport to service" because I could have sworn that I remembered there was more, plus I knew that plugs were in there... Well, you beat me to it. I am also curious about that 5 yrs..... Is Jag trying to pull a BMW on us here? Replace after 5 yrs, but the coverage is only 5 yrs??? Gonna have to ask my dealer about that one...

One other thing, 16k mi for oil is ridiculous! Synthetic oils are good, and last a long time, but no way they make 16k (unless you drive in a bubble) plus the filters won't last that long. Even BMW reduced their OCI from 15k mi to 10 or 12k presumably after they were flooded with oil analysis reports from their customers. I think we should do the same. That 16k number was set to minimize cost on their maintenance plan, not because they came up with oil that doesn't break down and filters that, you know, filter crap after that much use.
The oil interval is debated ad naseum about every three months. Numerous threads on that one.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The oil interval is debated ad naseum about every three months. Numerous threads on that one.
. . . and I would also ask for the empirical data surrounding the claim that "the oil will not last 16K" - - It would be interesting to take samples at 5, 10, and 16K and have them analysed. As with other claims I read on this forum, I doubt JLR would risk more serious warranty work and further damage to their reputation by creating a maintenance schedule that is actually harmful to the vehicle just to save on the cost of an oil change or two, that old saying about being penny wise and pound foolish.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That 16k number was set to minimize cost on their maintenance plan, not because they came up with oil that doesn't break down and filters that, you know, filter crap after that much use.
Land Rovers have the same schedule and do not pay for maintenance. I bugged my dealer on mine about bringing it early and he kept saying to save my money and just see me back at 16k. He could have easily made money on me if he wanted to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Found a cutout on the drivers side of the center console toward the dash that gives a little additional storage. Well hidden.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Found a cutout on the drivers side of the center console toward the dash that gives a little additional storage. Well hidden.
There is one on the driver and passenger side.

·
Registered
129 Posts
. . . and I would also ask for the empirical data surrounding the claim that "the oil will not last 16K" - - It would be interesting to take samples at 5, 10, and 16K and have them analysed. As with other claims I read on this forum, I doubt JLR would risk more serious warranty work and further damage to their reputation by creating a maintenance schedule that is actually harmful to the vehicle just to save on the cost of an oil change or two, that old saying about being penny wise and pound foolish.
Sorry, I missed this back when you posted...

There is no way to get real world empirical data on this. Ask a guy that lives near the Sahara or delivers pizzas within a 1 mile radius and you get something tiny, as the oil manufacturers they will tell you it will last 100k miles. Oil condition is dependent on a myriad of factors and the same guy in the same car can get a good Blackstone report after 15k miles at one oil change and poor report after 10k miles at the next. This is pretty well documented so look for yourself, and it is why OCIs will be debated until long after I drive my last mile.

The reason I posted what I did is because BMW had a 15kmi OCI one year and then changed it to 10k or 12kmi on the same engine the next. BMW makes great cars, I love them and I have one. However, IMO as a company they changed in recent years to much more of what I feel to be an accountant run company. The nickel and dime'ing I have seen is infuriating. For them to make that type of change means something to me, and they did this before they changed their free maintenance period from 5 yrs to 3. I don't know any other performance vehicle besides those built by JLR that have a 16k mi OCI. Maybe there are, I just don't know about em.

In addition, am also fairly certain that the industry standard for brake fluid replacement is 2 years not 3. It is standard because how brake fluid absorbs water over time - not miles and loses its effectiveness. I don't know why Jag chose 3 yrs but it also seems odd to me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Missing a service does not void the entire plan, but you have a limited time to use each scheduled service. From what I recall, you have 30 days from the time the service light comes on or 1000 miles from the scheduled mileage. After that the cost is on you until the next service in the schedule. If you create a TOPIX account for your F Pace, it lists 5 Elite Care service campaigns for your VIN and one Elite Care break fluid service campaign.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts