Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just at 2o'clock from the steering column there is a hole in the dashboard about the size of a dime, small "grates" protect it and it looks like a wire(s) inside.
What is this?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Maybe the microphone for Voice Activation ???

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I understand it is the NSA monitoring port for both audio and video. Look at the data/telemetrics data packets, they have piggy-backed the monitoring data which is then stripped off and sent to NSA HQ.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
DAMMIT theweeb ! You couldn't let me be the smartest guy in the room for *5* seconds ! Oh' well , microphone is as far as I go , all the rest of that jibba-jabba from theweeb is ABOVE my Pay-Grade ! :(

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
You guys are correct. It's the microphone.
Are you sure its the microphone..? Microphones are usually overhead, presumably integrated into the overhead console by the pano roof buttons.

That seems like thats a small speaker so while in dynamic, or flooring it, you get engine noise fed throughout the cabin. I know my previous Lexus had a speaker in the same exact place and it was a speaker to artificially beef up engine noise in the cabin.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yup, mics are up top, I think that is the temperature sensor for the interior temperature

·
Super Moderator
1,876 Posts
That seems like thats a small speaker so while in dynamic, or flooring it, you get engine noise fed throughout the cabin. I know my previous Lexus had a speaker in the same exact place and it was a speaker to artificially beef up engine noise in the cabin.
Many manufacturers add a speaker to "pipe in" an exhaust sound but that is not the case for the F Pace.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
DAMMIT theweeb ! You couldn't let me be the smartest guy in the room for *5* seconds ! Oh' well , microphone is as far as I go , all the rest of that jibba-jabba from theweeb is ABOVE my Pay-Grade ! :(
20 years Air Force Intelligence Service, um.... .. . I have so many stories.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Many manufacturers add a speaker to "pipe in" an exhaust sound but that is not the case for the F Pace.
Hm, thats interesting. I wonder why they chose such a strange place for the microphone.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
20 years Air Force Intelligence Service, um.... .. . I have so many stories.
Thank You for your Service , Sir ! And please Rest Assured , that *I* will NEVER "Kneel" during the National Anthem ! I don't care WHY people are doing that , but IMO There Is No RIGHT Reason , to do a WRONG Act ! It's a disgrace , and I apologize to you , and the thousands of Men and Women like you , who Serve to Protect Our "Freedoms" , the same "Freedoms" to which some choose to ABUSE ! Standing For and Singing the National Anthem is supposed to be ALL "Americans" way of Honoring the Military Personnel and Our Country ! Thanks for sharing your Opinions and Words of Wisdom on this Forum !

Reactions: TAZ

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thank You for your Service , Sir ! And please Rest Assured , that *I* will NEVER "Kneel" during the National Anthem ! I don't care WHY people are doing that , but IMO There Is No RIGHT Reason , to do a WRONG Act ! It's a disgrace , and I apologize to you , and the thousands of Men and Women like you , who Serve to Protect Our "Freedoms" , the same "Freedoms" to which some choose to ABUSE ! Standing For and Singing the National Anthem is supposed to be ALL "Americans" way of Honoring the Military Personnel and Our Country ! Thanks for sharing your Opinions and Words of Wisdom on this Forum !
Not to go off on a political tangent, but I am a veteran and I don't have a problem with people protesting in a way they feel will get their point across, as long as it doesn't harm someone else. I served to protect the very right we all have to demonstrate. To not allow someone to demonstrate is contrary to what our country stands for. Anyway, I just wanted to point this out. As a side note, I am now leaning towards Odyssey Red instead of British Racing Green. I may have to pull the trigger earlier than expected if ICT Pro gets patched this month like was rumored.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Not to go off on a political tangent, but I am a veteran and I don't have a problem with people protesting in a way they feel will get their point across, as long as it doesn't harm someone else. I served to protect the very right we all have to demonstrate. To not allow someone to demonstrate is contrary to what our country stands for. Anyway, I just wanted to point this out. As a side note, I am now leaning towards Odyssey Red instead of British Racing Green. I may have to pull the trigger earlier than expected if ICT Pro gets patched this month like was rumored.
While I don't quite understand it , I guess I can sort of appreciate your Tolerance for this type of behavior ! I would not classify what any of these people are doing as "demonstrating" , but more appropriately "protesting a situation in America , in a Disrespectful Way" ! I never said that I felt these people should not be allowed to "demonstrate" , as you put it , I just feel that there is a Right Place and a Right Time for it , and when & where they have been doing so , is Neither ! Now , if I may comment on your side note , ODYSSEY RED is GORGEOUS ! I feel it is more of a LUXURY , CLASSY looking Red , whereas the IRR is more of an In Your Face Sporty Red ! IMO , of course !

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I have said this before, if you can't stick to the OP's subject then don't post. I hate repeating myself.:mad:
Speaking of the OP's Subject , I have not really seen confirmation as to what the little thingamajig actually is ! Microphone? Speaker for Exhaust? Temperature Thermostat? or the NSA jibba-jabba thingy that theweeb was talking about? As the title of this thread says "WHAT IS IT?" Please Enlighten Us !

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
What would have made aesthetic sense to me, is if they had placed a similar opening on the left side, to give that part of the dash balance, much like the gauges above. Now, since this post calling attention to it anyway, I cannot get in the thing and not look at how lopsided it is....

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,416 Posts
Just at 2o'clock from the steering column there is a hole in the dashboard about the size of a dime, small "grates" protect it and it looks like a wire(s) inside.
What is this?
This is the cabin temperature sensor per Jaguar.

DP

Reactions: Jagger11

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand it is the NSA monitoring port for both audio and video. Look at the data/telemetrics data packets, they have piggy-backed the monitoring data which is then stripped off and sent to NSA HQ.
Ha! With only a 3G connection, it is going to take a long time to transfer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts