Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on using waterless wash on the FP.
What about "wash wipes"?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have never used the wash wipes, so I cannot speak to their effectiveness. That said, the idea of pushing a wet wipe over a dirty surface implies that the dirt may cause light scratching, so I doubt if I would ever try them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking for opinions on using waterless wash on the FP.
What about "wash wipes"?
I am a complete convert. Had the car ceramic coated and a clear bra put on the front. I have been using Optimum no rinse and wax (https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NRWW2012Q-Rinse-Wash-Wax/dp/B00GG9FB8U) at least two dozen times with great results. No scratching at all. However, I think if the car was very dirty, I would resort to the old hose and wash bucket method. Have never used the wash wipes.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Have been using hose and two bucket method... its becoming way to sunny and hot to do hand washed here in PA resulting in annoying dried on water spots so I have turned to a touches car wash by me. I would recommend touches car washed 100%. Works wonders. But I would not use a wipe to clean the car, anything you wipe up will be dragged across the surface of the car.

Reactions: Gorgon and MTHM

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
335 Posts
Have been using hose and two bucket method... its becoming way to sunny and hot to do hand washed here in PA resulting in annoying dried on water spots so I have turned to a touches car wash by me. I would recommend touches car washed 100%. Works wonders. But I would not use a wipe to clean the car, anything you wipe up will be dragged across the surface of the car.
Do you mean touch-less car wash?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am a purist, and am completely opposed to any "car wash wipes", despite whatever proof is out there. Call me old school...but it's car washing detergent, a microfiber "sponge", and clean, cold water for me. Find a shady spot to do it if it's too sunny out.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I am a purist, and am completely opposed to any "car wash wipes", despite whatever proof is out there. Call me old school...but it's car washing detergent, a microfiber "sponge", and clean, cold water for me. Find a shady spot to do it if it's too sunny out.
You really shouldn't use a sponge. If you mean microfiber mitt then that's good.

I generally don't have the patience for waterless wash. When my car gets dirty, it's dirty enough to need the bath.

JMan, you just need to get up earlier (before the sun is out completely). Assuming you park in a garage. I get up at sunrise, pull the car out of the garage, spend a couple hours washing and cleaning, then pull right back into the garage and take the other car that day.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation, I ordered some today :)
I think if you've had one of the various ceramic coating option done, this would be perfectly fine. I've used it for most of 6 months with my F-Pace without the ceramic coatings and I've found in that use, while it cleans the car perfectly fine, I've managed to get some swirl marks over that time. I'm going to have the car detailed in the coming month and then have OptiCoat Pro applied and then go back to the "waterless" approach. With the Opticoat product, it's not so much waterless, but rather you don't have to rinse or wet the car down with a hose. Just a sponge and a special bucket with the OptiCoat wash/wax product in the bucket with a couple gallons of water. You can use the solution several times before having to change it. My new approach will be using two buckets. One bucket with just plain water to rinse the sponge after washing a section of the car, so as to keep the dirty stuff in the sponge from getting into the opticoat solution bucket. The other bucket is obviously, the OptiCoat Wash/Wax solution which I'm hoping to only have to change after about 3 or 4 washings.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Yes I did. I swear I typed that but the computer puts something else there haha.
Oh' sure , go ahead and blame it on the "computer" !!! >:)
And to think , I was being nice enough to refrain from commenting on your error . . . THIS TIME !!! ;)

Reactions: Jman97

·
Registered
575 Posts
You really shouldn't use a sponge. If you mean microfiber mitt then that's good.

I generally don't have the patience for waterless wash. When my car gets dirty, it's dirty enough to need the bath.

JMan, you just need to get up earlier (before the sun is out completely). Assuming you park in a garage. I get up at sunrise, pull the car out of the garage, spend a couple hours washing and cleaning, then pull right back into the garage and take the other car that day.
'preciate the concern, but it's a microfiber covered sponge thing. Same as a mitt but with something inside of it. I've used one on all of my cars, have extensive detailing experience, and a plethora of paint-safe equipment at my disposal to clean my cars. :D

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I leave very early in the morning for work so I don't think that would be possible... but I have washed it at night while the sun is going down and I have found that to work out well so I may do that. The touches car wash is good if you have minor dirt/dust but it is terrible for everything else.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The touches car wash is good if you have minor dirt/dust but it is terrible for everything else.
OK, I need you to translate, I 'm not getting the picture here :)

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
I leave very early in the morning for work so I don't think that would be possible... but I have washed it at night while the sun is going down and I have found that to work out well so I may do that. The touches car wash is good if you have minor dirt/dust but it is terrible for everything else.
Do it on your day off?

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts

'preciate the concern, but it's a microfiber covered sponge thing. Same as a mitt but with something inside of it. I've used one on all of my cars, have extensive detailing experience, and a plethora of paint-safe equipment at my disposal to clean my cars.
Eh you'd be surprised at the number of people that use an actual sponge material that just traps dirt and spreads it across the car, glad to know you aren't one of them.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Do it on your day off?
Rarely have days off :nerd:, and when I do I still usually have things to do in the morning, and if I dont have things to do that early id rather sleep haha :D. But the night concept is kind of the same as the early morning concept, not as hot and little sun .

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I use a BRUSHLESS car wash at least once a week..It finishes with a SPOT FREE rinse and a good blow job...So, What the h3ll is this TOUCHLESS kind?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I use a BRUSHLESS car wash at least once a week..It finishes with a SPOT FREE rinse and a good blow job...So, What the h3ll is this TOUCHLESS kind?
I think touchless means that only jets of water with and without soap, rinse, etc. touches your car.
Does the brushless wash you use have those swaying curtains of felt rags? I believe that they are almost as bad as a brush type wash.
I'm not going anywhere near the rest of the comments:D

Reactions: DPK

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to lose a week and about $1k just fall into the rabbit hole that is the Autogeek forums. I started reading to learn how to take better care of my paint and ended up with a cabinet full of products, buckets, microfiber, and a couple DA Orbitals.

ONR is great stuff, I'm also trying out Carpro ECH20 which is a spray on/wipe off product for managing CO dust that my detailer suggested.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts