Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed some water spots over some of the windows and exterior painting. Any suggested items to use to remove those? And was there anything else applied after removal to keep paint in prime condition?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would first try giving it a good wash and using a clay bar to see if that eliminates the water spots and any other stubborn debris. If you still see the spots after that you may need to polish or have polished the car. Once you have the results you want then a food coat of wax will help to protect it. You can also look into having a nano coating applied to your vehicle and in the process they would wash, polish etc before applying the coating.
Good Luck and welcome to the club

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
There are some things to consider some of which @Cat Lady has mentioned. A good coat of wax is essential, whatever your favorite might be. What I learned early on with my Corvette as small as it is when you wash it if you don't get to dry it fast enough some of the water evaporates and leaves spots especially if a) you have hard water b) if you use a hose with a spray nozzle. If you have a good coat of wax you will notice that water beads up. What you want to do is use a hose with a nozzle that just supplies a steady stream of water not a spray also do not open the water connection too much as you want low pressure. Go through your washing process one section at a time and use the hose to supply a steady stream of water as just mentioned. You will see that the water come off in sheets rather than the results you get with a spray. Then you should always wash the car in the shade if possible either early or late in the day. Using this method leaves not a lot to dry off using micro-fiber towels. This has been my experience hope it helps you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Is there any chance that your car is getting hit by sprinklers? I think reclaimed water makes spots worse than tap water.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
#1 water spotter, Hard well or city water... #1 fix, rinsing with DI water... While not necessarily easy to conquer, it can be done.
Otherwise wash and especially dry in the shade, and get on it quickly with microfiber towels. A big helper to me is I have a hose in my garage hooked up to hot soft house water.
Best cheapest way to finish the wash if you can't do DI water....

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with what every one else has mentioned. To prevent them I use deionized water via this along with a good wax job:

To remove them you can try clay or polishing. Both remove wax so be sure to wax after them.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any chance that your car is getting hit by sprinklers? I think reclaimed water makes spots worse than tap water.
No sprinkler system near the vehicle. I noticed the water spots after I washed it for the first time.

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with what every one else has mentioned. To prevent them I use deionized water via this along with a good wax job:

To remove them you can try clay or polishing. Both remove wax so be sure to wax after them.
Have you used the CR Spotless before?

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
#1 water spotter, Hard well or city water... #1 fix, rinsing with DI water... While not necessarily easy to conquer, it can be done.
Otherwise wash and especially dry in the shade, and get on it quickly with microfiber towels. A big helper to me is I have a hose in my garage hooked up to hot soft house water.
Best cheapest way to finish the wash if you can't do DI water....
I usually wash it at my friends apartment complex since they have a car station set up there. Might have to reconsider. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would first try giving it a good wash and using a clay bar to see if that eliminates the water spots and any other stubborn debris. If you still see the spots after that you may need to polish or have polished the car. Once you have the results you want then a food coat of wax will help to protect it. You can also look into having a nano coating applied to your vehicle and in the process they would wash, polish etc before applying the coating.
Good Luck and welcome to the club
Thanks for the welcoming! I’ll have to look into the nano coating. I’ve never heard of that before. I’m thinking and hoping the clay bar will do the trick. Do you think compounding will be necessary or could I get away with just a polish and wax?

·
Registered
2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are some things to consider some of which @Cat Lady has mentioned. A good coat of wax is essential, whatever your favorite might be. What I learned early on with my Corvette as small as it is when you wash it if you don't get to dry it fast enough some of the water evaporates and leaves spots especially if a) you have hard water b) if you use a hose with a spray nozzle. If you have a good coat of wax you will notice that water beads up. What you want to do is use a hose with a nozzle that just supplies a steady stream of water not a spray also do not open the water connection too much as you want low pressure. Go through your washing process one section at a time and use the hose to supply a steady stream of water as just mentioned. You will see that the water come off in sheets rather than the results you get with a spray. Then you should always wash the car in the shade if possible either early or late in the day. Using this method leaves not a lot to dry off using micro-fiber towels. This has been my experience hope it helps you.
Thank you for the advice. I’ll look into doing that soon!

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Watch this video and play close attention to what he does at the 1:40 mark. That is the most important. Water sheets off the car and leaves very little to dry. Been doing this for a long time and it works great.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you used the CR Spotless before?
That's actually the system I have. I use regular water through my pressure washer for the pre-rinse and foam cannon, and another hose through the CR Spotless for the two bucket hand wash and rinse. Once I go to the regular hose the only water hitting the car is deionized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts