Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Much appreciate you taking the trouble to respond, but NO, for my Galaxy, this does NOT "carry over to the car". Android phones actually allow you to control both the sort and the display (firstname/lastname lastname/firstname) independently of each other through settings. However, irrespective of how the contacts are sorted or displayed on the android phone, Android Auto presents the contacts in alphabetical order by First Name. May well be different for Carplay and I-Phones, I wouldn't know.

FWIW, AA has no trouble using voice control to call contacts, just like the native Jaguar ICTP. The main inconvenience this post refers to, is when you scroll through the contacts in AA. Thus, it's one more reason for some reluctance to totally switch to AA.
Your probably right, just trying to help, I have an older now S8 Plus so maybe it’s phone dependent or maybe it’s the way it was setup. I use an iPhone as my primary, it seems more manufacturers like Apple due to the standard software platform and not a bunch of branches from the android OS last count (few months ago) here is the break down

• iOS 12: 78 percent
  • iOS 11: 17 percent
  • Earlier: 5 percent
  • Android 8.1 Oreo: 7.5 percent
  • Android 8.0 Oreo: 14 percent
  • Android 7.1 Nougat: 10.1 percent
  • Android 7.0 Nougat: 18.1 percent
  • Android 6.0 Marshmallow: 21.3 percent
  • Android 5.1 Lollipop: 14.4 percent
  • Android 5.0 Lollipop: 3.5 percent
  • Android 4.4 KitKat: 7.6 percent
  • Older: 3.5 percent
If you were a company writing code which one based on that list would you want to setup your features for.

DP

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Your probably right, just trying to help, I have an older now S8 Plus so maybe it’s phone dependent or maybe it’s the way it was setup. I use an iPhone as my primary, it seems more manufacturers like Apple due to the standard software platform and not a bunch of branches from the android OS last count (few months ago) here is the break down

• iOS 12: 78 percent
  • [etc.]
  • Android 8.1 Oreo: 7.5 percent
  • [etc.]
  • Older: 3.5 percent
If you were a company writing code which one based on that list would you want to setup your features for.

DP
Interesting numbers. However, confusing the subject. The remarks about Contact sequencing pinpoint a characteristic of the Android app itself, NOT its interface with the F Pace. Thus it has nothing to do with "writing code" to "setup" for I-phones vs. Androids or interfacing with their OSs. Put most simply, AA itself, on my Samsung, behaves exactly as described, whether I am walking down the street, or whether it is displayed in the F Pace through ICTP.

A further point about AA may be worth noting here. AA can display and interact in the F Pace (currently) only through a USB connection. The native ICTP phone module displays Contacts through Bluetooth. Additionally, text messages are read-out audibly, and, you can respond with pre-set texts (both supplied and personalized), all this using just a Bluetooth connection. Phone music is accessed through Bluetooth. Similarly, InControl apps show Calendar events with just a Bluetooth connection - the phone in your pocket - no need for a wired connection. I know ICTP apps are considered second-rate and rubbished by many, but ……

If this sounds like I'm still lukewarm on AA, …. I am. Perhaps the next AA iteration late this summer ………. And, yes, I still have a wish-list for upgraded features in ICTP.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
ExOz said:
......Similarly, InControl apps show Calendar events with just a Bluetooth connection - the phone in your pocket - no need for a wired connection. I know ICTP apps are considered second-rate and rubbished by many, but ……

And, yes, I still have a wish-list for upgraded features in ICTP.
CORRECTION ... Calendar ( because it uses IC apps) requires a USB connection as do all the IC app functions. My mistake. Contacts, texts and phone music do however connect without "a wire", as stated. Sorry to lead anyone astray.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
An UPDATE - (this has also been noted in another thread):-

After playing with it for a week or so, IMHO the much ballyhooed "new & improved" version of AA now being rolled out shows some usability but no real functional improvements ... in fact one major retrograde step:-

Calendar events, with a LOCATION entry, no longer show on the screen on the day of the event. In the previous version this could invoke a link to MAPS and a suggested route with just one touch. Not anymore.

The attempt to look/feel like ACP seems more like two steps forward & three steps back.

Just an opinion FWIW.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
An UPDATE - (this has also been noted in another thread):-

After playing with it for a week or so, IMHO the much ballyhooed "new & improved" version of AA now being rolled out shows some usability but no real functional improvements ... in fact one major retrograde step:-

Calendar events, with a LOCATION entry, no longer show on the screen on the day of the event. In the previous version this could invoke a link to MAPS and a suggested route with just one touch. Not anymore.

The attempt to look/feel like ACP seems more like two steps forward & three steps back.

Just an opinion FWIW.
Which is odd given that Android essentially pioneered this feature years ago.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Which is odd given that Android essentially pioneered this feature years ago.
Certainly agree with that. To make sure this is not just "operator error", a search I did on the net pulled up lots of complaints about exactly this point. If only JLR updated ICapps to facilitate that same link from the Calendar app and also gave us "go to <contact>" directly from ICTP (or even from the Contact app), I'd forego AA totally. Sadly, there has not been a singular real enhancement to ICTP in 2019, just bug-fixes and much angst about OTA. We can but hope - after all I waited for over a year for Nav. voice control and text messaging.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts