Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does anyone know of a member who is using Android Auto with a Samsung 8?
Just had it installed yesterday; Android Auto - Works great! You have to use charging cable connected for the system to work. You also need to set up Android settings on your phone to allow ICTP to work together.

I'm still working with the system to learn all the capabilities. So far, it is working as I expected. I noticed that the system works great with Amazon Music. I also like how Waze and Google Maps operate as well. :)

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got my FPace back today with the smartphone pack. I'm an Android user (Pixel 3xl).

My first impression of AA was the same as many of you...it looks absolutely terrible on the screen, like non-HD channels on HD tv. To make better use of the screen, the resolution needs to be changed and doing that requires you to access the developer options in Android Auto on your phone (when not connected to the car). Here is the Google Expert response from Android Auto help. My phone gave me 720p and 1080p as options, I went with 1080p and that is what can be seen in my screenshot.

AA outputs the video at 800x480 standard resolution, it also has the option to output at 1280x720 it's up to the headunit to display it.

If the headunit has different aspect ratio, stretching it to full screen, will make the icon's look bad, circles will become ovals and so on.

You can try to force the 720p output but it might result in the device not connecting if that is the case simply revert back to the original output.

To enable to 720p from Android Auto please do the following, without connecting the phone to the car:
1) Open AA
2) Hamburger menu -> About
3) Tap the "Android Auto" header 10 times till you see a toast message saying you are now a developer
4) From the 3 dotted menu in the right top corner select developer options
5) Scroll to the bottom
6) Check the 720p output option.
7) Press the back button

Now connect the phone to the car, if it doesn't connect (due to resolutions not matching) simply disable the 720p option.
I changed my setting to 1080p today and it works great! :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Trigger Navigation from Contacts & Location

Can Android Auto supply a Navigation Destination directly from a Contact address or a Calendar Location?

IC apps can not (as yet), as discussed in two other threads. However, in that discussion @skyking wrote about AppleCarPlay:

Apple calendar allows you to attach a location to an event. As far as what calendar In Control Apps uses with Android and if you can add a location, I don’t know.
Just checked your previous post. Apple CarPlay does exactly what you’re looking for. From contacts, address is displayed and linked to the map app. I like the built in Jaguar nav, with the HUD turn info and the turn info that is displayed on multiple screens, but CarPlay is much more user friendly. Voice control is almost 100%. Throw in Siri and it’s hard to find a reason to use the native system.

So I fiddled with AndroidAuto and found:-

1. …. The AA screen does bring up calendar entries for "today"

2. …. If that entry includes a Location, either a POI or an address, touching the location will invoke the AA navigation module and suggested routes

3. .… Contacts in the AA phone listing only show phone numbers, HOWEVER

4. …. An AA voice command "go to <contact name>" will similarly trigger navigation

These features, coupled with "OK Google" (similar to @skyking 's comment about Siri) have put a whole new light on AndroidAuto for me.

FWIW

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
…………………………

………………………………...
1. …. The AA screen does bring up calendar entries for "today"

FWIW
To be precise, that first point (1.) in the last post should emphasize:

1. …. The AA screen does bring up calendar entries for "today", IF the event has a Location specified

i.e. without a Location entry, Calendar events don't appear on AA; a key distinction from the IC Calendar app

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
A few more Android Auto Observations

Pardon redundancy with other threads. After a bit more use, a few observations:-

1. …. Generally still prefer the ICTP (18C) UI, particularly the map display; so on most trips, I only invoke AA when I want to take advantage of its better features.

2. …. for "go to <address>" ICTP is near perfect, but most notably the AA search query with Google maps for POI's - in the vicinity - is far superior to the native ICTP nav module; even "go to <Harry's Farm Market>" an (admittedly large) road-side produce vendor invoked the correct route; now specs for ICTP 19A mentioned the better functioning of POI's, but as yet no 19A user has responded as to what that really means.

3. …. "call <contact>" is about the same for AA & ICTP, but AA also responds to "go to <contact>", whereas ICTP does not; I still believe this was intended to be built into the ICTP Contacts app (the address shows in Contacts with a nav icon, but that's not active), but so far, no joy.

4. …. most of the time (see next point) a long press on the steering wheel voice button accesses Google Assistant functions e.g. "when is the next Bayern Munich game?", "how many miles is 29km", "what's on my calendar today" etc..

5. …. AA allows me to stream Amazon Music; but oddly, with music streaming Google Assistant seems to be "muted"; it looks like it responds (icon animated), but no audio; in contrast, even with music streaming, "go to <destination>" brings up nav and an appropriate route ----- any comments or experience about this would be much appreciated.

6. …. still rate the audible & visual notification of incoming texts better in ICTP; this is somewhat off-set by the free-form voice generated text reply function in AA, but I've found the templates (both supplied and user generated) in ICTP more that adequate for this function.

Certainly not an expert view, but FWIW for the very few that seem to be interested in using AA. Please add your own insights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question to Android Car

I got a 2017 Fpace with ICPT but i dont have a Sim-Card Slot (worst salesman ever...).
Anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade to get the Android Car connection?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
I got a 2017 Fpace with ICPT but i dont have a Sim-Card Slot (worst salesman ever...).
Anyone knows if it is possible to upgrade to get the Android Car connection?
Don't mean to question your inquiry, but having a hard time responding with anything useful ….. as far as I know (from the Jaguar "Build" website and monitoring this forum since 2016), all US spec MY 2017 configurations that have the "Technology Package" (i.e. ICTP) were fitted with the sim card SLOT. Yet, your question seems to be about a hardware "upgrade".

1. Are you in the US? Discussions on the UK forum suggest that there have been various card/port/usb/hdml etc. configurations in non-US countries that limit certain features and connections. Can't comment on those.

2. Is it possible you are really asking about the Sim CARD rather than the SLOT?

3. You probably know that you can have all the ICTP features without a Sim CARD by using the Hot-Spot feature on your phone. We have used that method for all ICTP functions since 2016 and for Android Auto since Oct. 2018 when the "SmartPhone" option in ICTP was activated.

4. Without a sim card SLOT (as you say), how do you currently use features like ICapps, traffic feedback in navigation or LIVE services?

5. Is it possible you are really asking about a "software" upgrade?

6. Finally, are you sure you have ICTP and not ICT (sorry if this is so obvious).

Don't know how else to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't mean to question your inquiry, but having a hard time responding with anything useful ….. as far as I know (from the Jaguar "Build" website and monitoring this forum since 2016), all US spec MY 2017 configurations that have the "Technology Package" (i.e. ICTP) were fitted with the sim card SLOT. Yet, your question seems to be about a hardware "upgrade".

1. Are you in the US? Discussions on the UK forum suggest that there have been various card/port/usb/hdml etc. configurations in non-US countries that limit certain features and connections. Can't comment on those.
I am from europe/austria. I have just usb ports in my car.

2. Is it possible you are really asking about the Sim CARD rather than the SLOT?
Im really asking about the slot. There is no way i can input a Sim Card and the vendor said he cant do anything about this.

3. You probably know that you can have all the ICTP features without a Sim CARD by using the Hot-Spot feature on your phone. We have used that method for all ICTP functions since 2016 and for Android Auto since Oct. 2018 when the "SmartPhone" option in ICTP was activated.
My car can make a Hot-Spot (which is kind of useless). My car has no option to connect to any wifi... no "SmartPhone" option. I can just connect to bluetooth for phone and music.

4. Without a sim card SLOT (as you say), how do you currently use features like ICapps, traffic feedback in navigation or LIVE services?
I cant use any of these features because i cant connect to anything...

5. Is it possible you are really asking about a "software" upgrade?
Yes that may be a bether definition. I would need to know if an upgrade makes it possible to connect Android Auto via usb to my phone.

6. Finally, are you sure you have ICTP and not ICT (sorry if this is so obvious).
Im sure i have ICTP

Don't know how else to help.
Sorry for the lack of Information in my first post, i now know that there are many options how to order the fpace media system.
i cant make OTA Updates for my car because of the reasons above, so my last software update was in late 2018. Thanks so far.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
…….

…………………………………..

I am from europe/austria. I have just usb ports in my car.

………

Sorry for the lack of Information in my first post, i now know that there are many options how to order the fpace media system.
i cant make OTA Updates for my car because of the reasons above, so my last software update was in late 2018. Thanks so far.
Given your first answer, i.e. you are in Austria, you will find it more instructive to seek answers on the UK forum, where folks are also wrestling with questions about different hardware/connectivity configurations:-

https://www.fpaceforums.co.uk/search.php?search_id=active_topics

Seem to recall some similar/related issues there recently, including some from non-UK and non-US countries.

BTW, as yet there are no OTA updates in the US, and judging by the UK forum, no definite success there either.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers

·
Registered
459 Posts
What did you do with your Samsung 8?

Does anyone know of a member who is using Android Auto with a Samsung 8?
Just had it installed yesterday; Android Auto - Works great! You have to use charging cable connected for the system to work. You also need to set up Android settings on your phone to allow ICTP to work together.

I'm still working with the system to learn all the capabilities. So far, it is working as I expected. I noticed that the system works great with Amazon Music. I also like how Waze and Google Maps operate as well. /forum/images/FPaceForum/smilies/tango_face_smile.png

Cheers

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)

although my apple CarPlay works well it's too bad my Android Auto still refuses to work...on any android device.
That's indeed too bad.

As noted here and in the thread about the new UI, we've had AA working great since the Smartphone feature was activated last fall and have appreciated the full screen display since it was introduced last month.

FWIW

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've done some reading beyond this forum into the Ipace and a few others Jaguars. Although my issue is uncommon, there are others with the same issue (no Android devices work, but work perfectly on other vehicles/Fpaces etc. with AA)
The dealership has never known the issue and I haven't really cared, until now.
This update, which no one has, is a very aesthetic and functional evolution from the current AA display.
I'm reluctant to try 19A as I have no issues with my ICTP. Take a chance I guess.

although my apple CarPlay works well it's too bad my Android Auto still refuses to work...on any android device.
That's indeed too bad.

As noted here and in the thread about the new UI, we've had AA working great since the Smartphone feature was activated last fall and have appreciated the full screen display since it was introduced last month.

FWIW

·
Registered
459 Posts
Help

Because of the recent article about the AA update I started up the failed investigation again and used my father's cell phone- a Samsung 8+ (same as mine). Needless to say I plugged it in to my car and the Android Auto worked, no issue!!!!
This will be the 6th android phone I have tried, with 5 consecutive failures but this worked perfect, no issue at all.
I checked before my father left, the phone has the exact same version and last update. I am using the same OEM hardware and center console port.
What am I missing?
I have gone through the AA menu on the phone, but nothing changes. I can't go in the ICTP AA menu as my phone isn't accepted. The other Samsung 8+ worked perfect, I just can't figure it out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

What am I missing?
I have gone through the AA menu on the phone, but nothing changes. I can't go in the ICTP AA menu as my phone isn't accepted. The other Samsung 8+ worked perfect, I just can't figure it out.
You know all this already .... and you've tried all this already, but based on your troubleshooting, logic says:-

.... it's NOT "in the ICTP AA menu", and,

.... it's NOT "the AA menu on the phone"

If that logic holds, the answer would seem to be in the actual connectivity settings in the one Samsung 8+ that doesn't work.

FWIW we use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and our ICTP is 18C ..... never a problem.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, you're right. I am solely working on the phone, but after exhausting every option , including a factory reset and trying to tweak the options in the settings menu, I haven't gotten any change in phone connectivity.

What am I missing?
You know all this already .... and you've tried all this already, but based on your troubleshooting, logic says:-

.... it's NOT "in the ICTP AA menu", and,

.... it's NOT "the AA menu on the phone"

If that logic holds, the answer would seem to be in the actual connectivity settings in the one Samsung 8+ that doesn't work.

FWIW we use a Samsung Galaxy S4 and our ICTP is 18C ..... never a problem.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Don't seem to be any Android Auto users/enthusiasts out there. Well, anyway, here is another question:-

The Contacts listing in AA (Phone window/Hamburger menu/Contacts) appears in alphabetical order, BUT sorted by first name. You can speed up your scrolling for a contact, by selecting a letter (e.g. "G" results in the listing starting at the Garys & Georges etc. ), but the listing is still in First Name order.

Has anyone found a way to search or show the listing in Last Name order, where all the Smiths (for example) would then be listed in sequence?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Don't seem to be any Android Auto users/enthusiasts out there. Well, anyway, here is another question:-
The Contacts listing in AA (Phone window/Hamburger menu/Contacts) appears in alphabetical order, BUT sorted by first name. You can speed up your scrolling for a contact, by selecting a letter (e.g. "G" results in the listing starting at the Garys & Georges etc. ), but the listing is still in First Name order.
Has anyone found a way to search or show the listing in Last Name order, where all the Smiths (for example) would then be listed in sequence? Thanks
May not be the answer you're looking for , but it works for me !

On my cell phone , I have put everyone's LAST name FIRST ,
that way ALL the names are in alphabetical order , by LAST name !!! ;) :cool:

That way it organizes all the families all together on my Contacts List !
Jones David
Jones Molly
Jones Stuart
Smith Darrell
Smith Mary
Smith Tom

As you can see by this list , it even organizes the First Names alphabetically as well !:giggle:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts

Has anyone found a way to search or show the listing in Last Name order, where all the Smiths (for example) would then be listed in sequence?

Thanks
There should be a setting on your phone for sort by, on the iPhone it’s under settings and you can select either first name or last name, this will carry over to the car.

DP

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
…………………………….
…………………………….. this will carry over to the car.

DP
Much appreciate you taking the trouble to respond, but NO, for my Galaxy, this does NOT "carry over to the car". Android phones actually allow you to control both the sort and the display (firstname/lastname lastname/firstname) independently of each other through settings. However, irrespective of how the contacts are sorted or displayed on the android phone, Android Auto presents the contacts in alphabetical order by First Name. May well be different for Carplay and I-Phones, I wouldn't know.

FWIW, AA has no trouble using voice control to call contacts, just like the native Jaguar ICTP. The main inconvenience this post refers to, is when you scroll through the contacts in AA. Thus, it's one more reason for some reluctance to totally switch to AA.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts