Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just would like to remind you that those piggyback computer (tuning box) is very effective for turbo engine, but not much on a supercharged one. I'm have been using Racechip on audi Q5 2.0T and F-pace S 3.0L petrol.

And your results?

I know they work better on turbo engines, as the boost is more variable on those engines vs. the relatively fixed boost level of belt driven superchargers. But the same would apply to an ECU flash, wouldn't it? I want more power. Period. And I don't want to flash my ECU because I like my warranty ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
And your results?

I know they work better on turbo engines, as the boost is more variable on those engines vs. the relatively fixed boost level of belt driven superchargers. But the same would apply to an ECU flash, wouldn't it? I want more power. Period. And I don't want to flash my ECU because I like my warranty ;)
I have not put any of these cars on the dyno, so the followings are based on my own impression only.

I had the Racechip Ultimate on my Audi Q5 2.0T (this is an old product purchased 5 years ago)
Result: Very noticeable power increase (not as much as advertised) but acceleration is NOT smooth and NOT stable.

Racechip GTS Black on F-pace S 3.0 supercharged
Result: Little power increase (far less than advertised), still noticeable, acceleration is smooth and stable. (currently using this and i'm satisfied as I expected not much power increase on a supercharged vehicle.

VelocityAP Tune on F-pace S 3.0 supercharged
Result: Little power increase (a bit more than the Raceclip GTS Black), but acceleration is NOT smooth and not preferred. Also void my warranty (see my previous post in this thread). This may do a better job on the 340HP model but not worth on the 380HP model.

Edit: The tuning box only look and alternate one or two signals while a full flash tune is re-mapping a lot of variables, which should give a better result, if the tune is done properly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have not put any of these cars on the dyno, so the followings are based on my own impression only.

I had the Racechip Ultimate on my Audi Q5 2.0T (this is an old product purchased 5 years ago)
Result: Very noticeable power increase (not as much as advertised) but acceleration is NOT smooth and NOT stable.

Racechip GTS Black on F-pace S 3.0 supercharged
Result: Little power increase (far less than advertised), still noticeable, acceleration is smooth and stable. (currently using this and i'm satisfied as I expected not much power increase on a supercharged vehicle.

VelocityAP Tune on F-pace S 3.0 supercharged
Result: Little power increase (a bit more than the Raceclip GTS Black), but acceleration is NOT smooth and not preferred. Also void my warranty (see my previous post in this thread). This may do a better job on the 340HP model but not worth on the 380HP model.

Edit: The tuning box only look and alternate one or two signals while a full flash tune is re-mapping a lot of variables, which should give a better result, if the tune is done properly.

So to be clear, you did the VelocityAP Tune on the F-Pace S without the small supercharger pulley upgrade? If my memory serves me right, that takes it up over 450hp.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
So to be clear, you did the VelocityAP Tune on the F-Pace S without the small supercharger pulley upgrade? If my memory serves me right, that takes it up over 450hp.
I would want to see before and after dyno results. My guess is maybe this is good for 20-25 Rear Wheel hp. To get it 450 seems like a big stretch,

I feel you could get good results with better flowing exhaust coupled with a good cold air kit for the air intake that get rid of all the bends and silencers added in the plastic tubing. You would here the super charger more and some people like that.

If you really want to feel seat of the pants and get better 0-60 and you are driving a R-Sport then a rear end gear sawp to the 3.73 from the S

That was denfinly noticeable when I first picked up my S after driving my R-Sport to the dealer.

That what’s adding most of the extra 40HP the TQ is the same for both it’s that the HP is in the higher RPM and it gets there faster with the lower gear.

DP

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good info from all. I appreciate the breakdown, ckk. I do remember your thread on here, which is actually what steered me away from the ECU flash. You were the one that mentioned your dealer's computers sending the info directly to Jag HQ, right? Extra power is not worth voiding the warranty on this thing, hence my interest in chip-tune.

At $370 USD, this is a small investment for some potential gains, imo, so I'll give it a shot. I heard the mixed reviews on Racehip's stuff from other sources, so maybe it's not the best choice for this engine? Not that CPA Chiptuning would be better, as there are hardly any reviews out there for this product, at least not in English or on relevant style vehicles.

As for swapping the rear, not interested. I know how it improves acceleration, but that directly affects MPG and top end RPMs as well with highway cruising. It's not cost effective at this time and would likely void the warranty as well, too (even if Jag did it).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes I did the VAP tune without the pulley.

According to their data
STOCK 380BHP ----) TUNED 416BHP (+36BHP)
STOCK 340BHP ----) TUNED 416BHP (+76BHP)

So I said it may worth the money for a 340BHP model but not for a 380HP. More importantly I pay more attention on the drivability side than peak performance, and I think the Racechip has better and smoother acceleration. And due to that my f-pace is a Hong Kong DM, which may behave differently as those of you in the states.

Good info from all. I appreciate the breakdown, ckk. I do remember your thread on here, which is actually what steered me away from the ECU flash. You were the one that mentioned your dealer's computers sending the info directly to Jag HQ, right? Extra power is not worth voiding the warranty on this thing, hence my interest in chip-tune.

At $370 USD, this is a small investment for some potential gains, imo, so I'll give it a shot. I heard the mixed reviews on Racehip's stuff from other sources, so maybe it's not the best choice for this engine? Not that CPA Chiptuning would be better, as there are hardly any reviews out there for this product, at least not in English or on relevant style vehicles.

As for swapping the rear, not interested. I know how it improves acceleration, but that directly affects MPG and top end RPMs as well with highway cruising. It's not cost effective at this time and would likely void the warranty as well, too (even if Jag did it).
Yes I'm the one who have the warranty voided by the dealer because of the flashed tune.

And I think all chiptunings use similar theory and are restricted by limited signal input of the supercharger system.
The difference is how fast and how smooth they react. They can't even change the boost nor timing but just alternating the fuel supply.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A bit off topic but I'd recommend the Racechip XLR or other throttle controller like Sprint Booster.
I'm not going to explain what is it in details. It simply improve the throttle response but does NOT increase any power.
It will affect the MPG a lot but the car is so much fun to drive with it.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
A bit off topic but I'd recommend the Racechip XLR or other throttle controller like Sprint Booster.
I'm not going to explain what is it in details. It simply improve the throttle response but does NOT increase any power.
It will affect the MPG a lot but the car is so much fun to drive with it.
Is that the same as going in to the dynamic menu and adjusting the gas petal response? I have seen the install looks like a 3 min plug and thn adjust where you like.

DP

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that the same as going in to the dynamic menu and adjusting the gas petal response? I have seen the install looks like a 3 min plug and thn adjust where you like.

DP
It's similar thing, but the factory "dynamic" mode is still pretty conservative to maintain good MPG and comfort in acceleration. You may consider it as a "Super dynamic" mode.

It takes few mins to unplug and re-plug the cable near the pedal, find somewhere to place the unit and controller, that's it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I ordered the CPA Chiptuner and the Velocity-AP sport exhaust last night.

Excited for some upgrades. And I'll definitely let you guys/gals know how it works out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just to chime in... bought the base Racechip for my 35t 7-8 months ago.
It worked great, plugs in to MAP and turbo boost sensors and according to the engineers at Racechip controls more than just fuel. I can't speak to the 380hp but to my 35t that boast an increase of almost 70hp and 40lbs of torque, you can really notice immediately, didn't notice any fuel savings though. I hear the advanced Racechips are just gimmicks of reprogramming, longer warranties but little to no more gains to note. If you have a 340 variant than go for it, it was 299 euros.
Second, per velocity tune, if you have a 2018 then it's not like a 2017 where you get a handheld and can flash when you want! They don't have a tool for my18, you need to take to a shop that has the tool and everytime you want to reflash you need to go to that shop or borrow the tool from Velocity in BC (that's apparently in constant curculation) I learned the hard way.
That was 2 months ago that I last checked, maybe its changed since but was a disaster of an idea that I regret. I strongly suggest you go the tune kit from Racechip or whatever first.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Red_Rooster. The CPA Chiptune (pretty much the same as RaceChip) definitely added power. I noticed it a lot more as I put miles on the car and it "relearned" my driving style. Torque is way more pronounced. I also agree that the middle-level tuning box is the best value. Mine was $350 USD and claims to add 75 hp and 75 ft/lb torque (up to 412 and 407, respectively). The next level box from them only adds another 6 hp and 7 ft/lb, but costs $250 more. However, it comes with a gimmicky remote control thingy I wasn't interested in.

The important thing to realize is that it won't turn your 3.0L V6 into the SVR's V8, nor will it make it a super car. Acceleration to 60mph is improved somewhat, but the biggest difference in mine is between 20-70 mph. Highway cruising or back road blasts just feel more fun, and torque output is MUCH better.

It's easy enough to remove for service, but I will say getting to that rear plug can be a complete b****h, particularly if the engine is hot. So if you need to have the car towed and want to remove it first, it could get tricky. I keep a looooong flat blade screwdriver in my car and gloves just in case I need to remove it in an emergency. But that beats having to have the ECU reflashed and hoping it doesn't get picked up by the dealer's computer.

This is not to bash Velocity AP or their tune. They make a great product, but the risk of voiding my warranty and ease of use with the chip tuner steered me in that direction.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
It's easy enough to remove for service, but I will say getting to that rear plug can be a complete b****h, particularly if the engine is hot. So if you need to have the car towed and want to remove it first, it could get tricky. I keep a looooong flat blade screwdriver in my car and gloves just in case I need to remove it in an emergency. But that beats having to have the ECU reflashed and hoping it doesn't get picked up by the dealer's computer.
I don't have a dog in this fight (sorry, not PC these days) but I wonder if you could get a couple of connectors with 2-3 foot leads so the chip could be relocated to a place with better access? Sort of like an extension, if you understand what I mean. I am not sure how the dealer would perceive such a thing, but maybe something to consider.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I understand completely, theweeb. Unfortunately, those plugs are very specific to that particular sensor and finding them would be tricky. If I could find the male and female connectors for that harness somewhere, it would be easy enough to splice together a harness extension. Maybe I'll do some research!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I understand completely, theweeb. Unfortunately, those plugs are very specific to that particular sensor and finding them would be tricky. If I could find the male and female connectors for that harness somewhere, it would be easy enough to splice together a harness extension. Maybe I'll do some research!

Might be worth reaching out to the chip maker and see if they can help.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll email them about it, see if they can at least get me part numbers. I believe it's a Volvo sensor. Lot of leftover parts from the Ford-owned days. Funny tidbit, look at the top of the oil filter cover...it says "FoMoCo".

The only downside with making an extension is that the extension is not part of the OEM wiring harness. So even if you left it in place to facilitate easier remove of the chiptuner plug, Jag techs may still question why there is an extension for that particular wiring harness. So either way, we would still have to remove the extension plug from the factory sensor plug. Back to square one with needing baby hands and fireproof gloves to reach back there, lol

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
I'll email them about it, see if they can at least get me part numbers. I believe it's a Volvo sensor. Lot of leftover parts from the Ford-owned days. Funny tidbit, look at the top of the oil filter cover...it says "FoMoCo".

The only downside with making an extension is that the extension is not part of the OEM wiring harness. So even if you left it in place to facilitate easier remove of the chiptuner plug, Jag techs may still question why there is an extension for that particular wiring harness. So either way, we would still have to remove the extension plug from the factory sensor plug. Back to square one with needing baby hands and fireproof gloves to reach back there, lol
Unless there was a reason to look back there I doubt the tech would see the wire extension and depending on how well you integrated it , they might think it’s factory.

DP

Reactions: theweeb

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Unless there was a reason to look back there I doubt the tech would see the wire extension and depending on how well you integrated it , they might think it’s factory.

DP
Plus, an extension proves nothing.

·
Registered
2020 F-Pace S Cesium Blue
12 Posts
I have asked a few members here about how they like the ECU tune. My 2018 S model has about 4k miles on it, love the power, but I want more. Already have velocityap touring exhaust and the note is awesome ...convince me the ECU tune is worth the risk with the warranty. I don't feel comfortable doing the supercharger pulley right now...but if you have done both please let me know as it may change my mind ?
I have a 2020 S model and was thinking of this exhaust but concerned about drone sine I drive a lot of highways miles. Your experience with this set up? Thanks

21 - 40 of 41 Posts