Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked a few members here about how they like the ECU tune. My 2018 S model has about 4k miles on it, love the power, but I want more. Already have velocityap touring exhaust and the note is awesome ...convince me the ECU tune is worth the risk with the warranty. I don't feel comfortable doing the supercharger pulley right now...but if you have done both please let me know as it may change my mind ?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you decide to get the TUNE..the only faster F-PACE will be SVR coming out this fall with the 550hp V8...As you already know, I have it and had it since the beginning. Awesome power..I've whoop many Mustang 5.0s without a problem...and as a 35T Prestige with over 415 HP..it's even more of a sleeper..Dealer don't go deliberately looing for some odd codes..only if you tell them to...I got to know the service guys and so they know what I've got and inform me beforehand if I need a software up-date so I can put back the original Tune...work it baby!;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have asked a few members here about how they like the ECU tune. My 2018 S model has about 4k miles on it, love the power, but I want more. Already have velocityap touring exhaust and the note is awesome ...convince me the ECU tune is worth the risk with the warranty. I don't feel comfortable doing the supercharger pulley right now...but if you have done both please let me know as it may change my mind ?

I have a 380HP f-pace S and I got the VelocityAP tune at the end of 2017 . I could tell the upgrade is not worth on a 380HP S version as there's only 36BHP gain as claimed and the actual gain maybe even less. The difference is noticeable but disappointed. Overall smoothness is OK but not as perfect as stock. I prefer to drive on the Stock map instead.

The worst part is I have flashed back the original map before going back to the dealer for service last month but the service manager asked me if I have flashed the ECU. I was so surprised as I was told that it should not be discovered for a normal service check. And the service manager told me they didn't actually do any detailed check but just connected my car to their computer and their computer found the issue immediately and it was reported to server of Jaguar main office on its own and they can't stop it. Dealer told me that Jaguar may ask them to terminate the warranty on my car later and they can't help.

Please note my car is in Hong Kong market, so situation and policy may be different. But if you are going to get the tune you have to understand the potential risk as someone on the forum may told you a different story. By the way I haven't heard anyone on the forum having the same problem as mine in the US yet.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
The worst part is I have flashed back the original map before going back to the dealer for service last month but the service manager asked me if I have flashed the ECU. I was so surprised as I was told that it should not be discovered for a normal service check. And the service manager told me they didn't actually do any detailed check but just connected my car to their computer and their computer found the issue immediately and it was reported to server of Jaguar main office on its own and they can't stop it. Dealer told me that Jaguar may ask them to terminate the warranty on my car later and they can't help.

Yes this is true. There is a flash code and it shows a zero or a one if the sysem see that it’s been flashed. The SDD system reads the computer when plugged in and sends the data to JLR this is how it build its files to lead to each car. I don’t agree with the practice because if you buy your car you should able to do what you want to it.

DP

Reactions: ckkcmx5

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes this is true. There is a flash code and it shows a zero or a one if the sysem see that it’s been flashed. The SDD system reads the computer when plugged in and sends the data to JLR this is how it build its files to lead to each car. I don’t agree with the practice because if you buy your car you should able to do what you want to it.

DP

You can still do what you want with your car . . . it just appears that JLR is protecting the integrity of their warranty.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
You can still do what you want with your car . . . it just appears that JLR is protecting the integrity of their warranty.

I meant that the system is locked down and very hard to tweak. Even after the warranty period you can’t get in to the system to adjust the settitmgs the way you want. Even thought the settings are there and with the right access you can change pretty much anything.

DP

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
While this is mostly off topic, but my opinion is that cars are not like computers or phones. If you modify a computer or phone, it’s less likely to cause harm to someone. If you modify a car, especially the way most people want to modify them (turn off seat belt chimes, disable traction control fully, etc), you compromise the precise engineering and safety features of a moving weapon. It can and will kill you and others.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
While this is mostly off topic, but my opinion is that cars are not like computers or phones. If you modify a computer or phone, it’s less likely to cause harm to someone. If you modify a car, especially the way most people want to modify them (turn off seat belt chimes, disable traction control fully, etc), you compromise the precise engineering and safety features of a moving weapon. It can and will kill you and others.

Would love to see this - and engage you - as a topic in the Off Topic section of the forum. Indeed . . .

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
Would love to see this - and engage you - as a topic in the Off Topic section of the forum. Indeed . . .

Start the conversation

DP

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just ordered the https://www.cpachiptuning.us/powerbox-nitro/
for my 35t

This type of install is a bit more technical because you are tapping directly into sensors but it is the cleanest because it won't be detected in your ECU. Even the VelocityAP one if it is reverted back to stock will show a code if read that the ECU has been touched.

I should have the unit from https://www.cpachiptuning.us/ in a week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
the Powerbox Nitro is installed :)
So the install went ok.

1. The sensor at the back is a real pain to get to. I used a long standard screw driver to give a bit of pressure on the locking clip since the plug angles down it clipped off with just a bit of pressure. Getting the new harness connected was not easy since it is in an awkward position with a bunch of other hoses and such in the way.
2. Sensor at the front was easy.
3. Ground was easy.
4. The Power feed I have it temporarily connected but would like feedback from others on what a easy access 12v power feed would be to tap into in the engine bay.

You sure can notice the gains. Mostly in the lower 2-3k range.
I placed a call for some support was asking about the remote and why the light doesn't stay on when you turn on the Tune. They were quite helpful and good to deal with. Also talked about doing other modifications in the future and they said they could walk me thru the changes if I got the Pulley or other Modifications that could benefit from a more aggressive tune.

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,419 Posts
How long did the install take to do? Can you past a few pictures.

Thanks
DP

·
Registered
247 Posts
Their website is interesting. They just take rated horsepower and add on 20, 23 and 25% for each of their boxes whether it's legit or not. I'm sorry but I don't believe this information off their site on the "S" Jag models - Once again our engineers developed a specific software which increased the power with the PowerBox Nitro from 380 HP and 450 NM up to 475 HP and 561 NM.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yea, Dyno it to prove it. Otherwise, I need a ton of forum members (that have more than a few posted messages) to chime in indicating a "feeling" that it provides "significant" power; plus a few 0-60 times that show a few tenths shaved off the 5.1 we're supposed to get.

And any tune that claims to increase gas mileage I find EXTREMELY dubious. With auto manufacturers so under pressure to up their MPG for environmental regulations (sans Trump) if the could find a way to get extra MPG; they would. Not like they are sitting in their glass houses saying "mwahahah... we could do better in MPG; but we choose to undertune that part of our car so that next year we can show improvement".

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Careful...I called all this out a long time ago and pissed a whole lot of people off.

·
Registered
575 Posts
While I'm not as skeptical on power increases, it would be nice to have set numbers. These things are pretty high-tech nowadays and it shouldn't be guesswork on what the gains were.

However, I do agree that any tune that claims to increase both HP AND MPG is suspect to me. By the very nature of the beast, you are going to be thrashing this thing more with the tune, so with that information alone, MPG will go down. And that's okay with me.

EDIT: Upon further reading, it looks like you have to "request" the Eco tune for the box. So you either get more power or better mpg...don't believe it's both together.

·
Registered
575 Posts
So any verdict on this after driving it for a few weeks? I'm tempted to try this to get a bit more power and avoid flashing my ECU.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll answer my own question here: my brother has a similar tune in his Infinite Q50, and it makes a HUGE difference in the performance. I was shocked at the before and after acceleration and how clean the install was.

I'm going to order one of these for the F-Pace this week, probably the mid-level that "only" gives you 412 hp and 407 ft/lb of torque. It's only $369, and I can't see spending another $250 on the max power box when it only gives you another 5 hp and 7 ft/lb more. Those additions are only felt over 5k RPM anyway.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll answer my own question here: my brother has a similar tune in his Infinite Q50, and it makes a HUGE difference in the performance. I was shocked at the before and after acceleration and how clean the install was.

I'm going to order one of these for the F-Pace this week, probably the mid-level that "only" gives you 412 hp and 407 ft/lb of torque. It's only $369, and I can't see spending another $250 on the max power box when it only gives you another 5 hp and 7 ft/lb more. Those additions are only felt over 5k RPM anyway.

Please let us know how it feels after, I had a sleeper Subaru WRX beat me the other day and I am looking for redemption :)

·
Registered
203 Posts

Just would like to remind you that those piggyback computer (tuning box) is very effective for turbo engine, but not much on a supercharged one. I'm have been using Racechip on audi Q5 2.0T and F-pace S 3.0L petrol.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts