Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 263 Posts

·
Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

We've been posting in the engine section for a while and have subsequently done quite a lot of ECU Tunes for forum members.

I have been asked by several people about developing an exhaust for the F-Pace, specifically with Quad Tip setup, and also to look at Sport Cat downpipes.

We're based in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, so what we really need is access to a vehicle that we can do some jigging & test-fitting of parts with. If there's anyone local to us who is interested please email me at [email protected] and we can discuss further. Whoever helps us out always gets a sweetheart deal on whatever stuff we end up producing + tunes and so on.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'd volunteer, but Georgia is about as far away from BC as you can get without getting your feet wet! Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Hopefully one of the Canadian members can help you. Id be interested to see how a quad tip setup would work, im guessing you would have to cut into the rear valance in order for it to work.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I think Stuart was speaking of CAT-BACK exhaust only.....

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Stuart, you have interest in the product on my side, but I can't help out due to being in the US and on the east coast.

·
Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've done some research on headers for these cars (well, the F-Type anyway) and it doesn't appear that the gains are sufficient enough to justify the expense. About 25WTQ in the mid-range, but since you'd have to pair to downpipes, it's a $3000 setup by the time it is done, which I think is not on the right scale to justify the cost/benefit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not exactly, long tube headers are usually going to be installed with high flows or test pipes and I'm pretty confident that is going to yield more than 25 in the mid range even before the tune. Those of us with S models don't get a free 40 HP in tuning and the options for gains are likely to remain few. Pullies, tune, headers, cats. Downstream from there is just sound and that is where most of the competition will be working.

F-Types will remain a rarity due to their cost and the existence of Corvettes and other strong competitors. The Pace on other hand is going to sell in much larger numbers, already is as I'm sure you know. It isn't hard to imagine Borla and the rest of the usual suspects having a go at it. Meanwhile the performance market will likely be left alone by the big names. I'm not trying to claim a business case one way or another but I would not consider the two markets similar. Significantly different volume, demographics, etc.

How long would you need the car?

·
Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not exactly, long tube headers are usually going to be installed with high flows or test pipes and I'm pretty confident that is going to yield more than 25 in the mid range even before the tune. Those of us with S models don't get a free 40 HP in tuning and the options for gains are likely to remain few. Pullies, tune, headers, cats. Downstream from there is just sound and that is where most of the competition will be working.

F-Types will remain a rarity due to their cost and the existence of Corvettes and other strong competitors. The Pace on other hand is going to sell in much larger numbers, already is as I'm sure you know. It isn't hard to imagine Borla and the rest of the usual suspects having a go at it. Meanwhile the performance market will likely be left alone by the big names. I'm not trying to claim a business case one way or another but I would not consider the two markets similar. Significantly different volume, demographics, etc.

How long would you need the car?
Perhaps I should be more specific. When I say we have done a bunch of research, what I mean is that we extensively dyno tested long tube headers on a V6 FType, and on a V8 FType. We tested multiple tube diameters, and this was paired up with a sport catalytic converter.

On the V6 Cars, the net result was 20-25 Wheel Torque, within a narrow range of around 3000-4500RPM. We can and may put the parts into production, but my concern is that the cost to do so and the retail price point we would need bring them to market would be too high (likely circa $3000) to support that level of gain, especially when a portion of it is possibly attributable to the high flow cats. Trust me, I'd like to get them out there, we have probably close to $15,000 of cost in the development process but we aren't the sort of company that is willing to fudge some numbers and pump the stuff out there if we aren't confident in it.

And it's not to say that we won't release something, I just need to know that the business case is there.

For development work - to do a sport cat and exhaust, we generally plan on having the car for a week or so, and prepare the owner for a little wiggle room as well. Just in case for example, we need to order in a different exhaust tip, or have a flange laser-cut to pattern or something, and also to make sure we have our jigs set up and that the jigs are producing parts that fit to the car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Perhaps I should be more specific. When I say we have done a bunch of research, what I mean is that we extensively dyno tested long tube headers on a V6 FType, and on a V8 FType. We tested multiple tube diameters, and this was paired up with a sport catalytic converter.

On the V6 Cars, the net result was 20-25 Wheel Torque, within a narrow range of around 3000-4500RPM. We can and may put the parts into production, but my concern is that the cost to do so and the retail price point we would need bring them to market would be too high (likely circa $3000) to support that level of gain, especially when a portion of it is possibly attributable to the high flow cats. Trust me, I'd like to get them out there, we have probably close to $15,000 of cost in the development process but we aren't the sort of company that is willing to fudge some numbers and pump the stuff out there if we aren't confident in it.

And it's not to say that we won't release something, I just need to know that the business case is there.

For development work - to do a sport cat and exhaust, we generally plan on having the car for a week or so, and prepare the owner for a little wiggle room as well. Just in case for example, we need to order in a different exhaust tip, or have a flange laser-cut to pattern or something, and also to make sure we have our jigs set up and that the jigs are producing parts that fit to the car.
Were you guys able to find a test car?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stuart told me on an email that they ordered a stock exhaust to work with. I'm going to hold on on buying the Quicksilver to see what they come up with.

·
Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
iOkay boys and girls, hope you are sitting comfortably. We're in the final phase of designing our prototype FPace exhaust. Took some time to figure out a couple of nifty things on this one. We were supplied an original equipment pattern by a customer who bought a Quicksilver unit but was unhappy with the drone. So we have looked at this one very carefully and created a design which features two significant resonance cancelling properties.

Firstly, the muffler: A double pass through design means that exhaust gases pass through the muffler twice. We have found on other vehicles that this setup has excellent resonance cancelling properties because you are bouncing sound waves against each other inside the muffler.

Secondly, the actual exhaust pipe you see, although it looks like it is straight through, is blanked off inside the pipe, between the inlet and outlet for the muffler, to direct gases into the muffler. However this also has a good accoustic effect. The exhaust gases will pressurize the muffler and travel through nicely, but sound waves will bounce off this blanking plate, and head back in the opposite direction to those travelling down the exhaust pipe.

These two features should enable a nice, sporty sound but we anticipate will produce significant frequency cancellation and the avoidance of drone, which V6 engines can suffer from. We hope to have finished in the next couple days, some final production photos and a good selection of sound clips for you.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yeah, but can you install one of these on a First Edition? The diffuser on an FE doesn't seem to allow for a trailer hitch much less a tail-pipe that is significantly larger in diameter than the stock one.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah, but can you install one of these on a First Edition? The diffuser on an FE doesn't seem to allow for a trailer hitch much less a tail-pipe that is significantly larger in diameter than the stock one.
@PA-FPace-F just installed a Trailer Hitch on his *FE* !!!

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
So confused on how this will work... can someone explain in uneducated car person terms :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
So confused on how this will work... can someone explain in uneducated car person terms :)
They are going back and forth in the can so that the sound waves can attenutate and/or cancel each other, it's a common muffler configuration. The specific configurationon a given can may have will vary but what you have is the flow going into the muffler, running all the way through, then turing around and going back into the muffler and exiting after one or more turns through. Usually this is a single pass, it goes into the muffler, turns at the opposite end and goes back into the muffler on the same end, then exits at the same end it originally entered after passing through. I've seen triple passes, not sure if more have been done. Based on the description this sounds like a single pass (up and down) which is the most common. I'm unable to see the pics because of my ad blocking extentions but that's the gist of it. This tech came over from the pleasure boat industry and was originally targeting drone.

·
Registered
245 Posts
They will not get any more power, they might advertise it but you can be sure the "gain" will be within typical dyno variance. The low hanging fruit has been gone for years. CAFE and the hp wars made sure of that. Lets hope they leave single tip options...

·
Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't see why it would be a problem. The entire system will be built within the silhouette of the OEM system. The tip we have selected is only 15mm larger in diameter than the OEM tip so it should fit everything I think?

1 - 20 of 263 Posts