Votes: 30 69.8%
  • No, I would still pick the supercharged V6

Votes: 13 30.2%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious how many people would have considered the 3.0 liter V6 turbo diesel instead of the supercharged V6 petrol if Jaguar decided to bring it to the states?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Me too.

MKenM I have a 2013 RX350 and had a 2002 Corvette Convertible and hoping for a future C7 Vette. Not sure if that comes into play in our feelings, but quite a similar profile. The 2017 F-pace S does not arrive until next spring.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
So I voted for the Diesel, but I wouldn't have chosen it until I had test driven both. I would have decided by looking at the speed and pickup of the Diesel. If it was somewhat close to the V6, I think I would have gone in that direction due to the mileage and range.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I have seen posts that say the *20d* gets better MPG then the V6 Petrol , but has anybody heard if the *30d* is better , or is it pretty much equivalent to the Petrol ? Just talking about MPG's here !

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have the FP R-Sport 2.0 diesel now, but if it had been available, the 3.0 diesel would have been our first choice.

Reactions: MTHM

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have seen posts that say the *20d* gets better MPG then the V6 Petrol , but has anybody heard if the *30d* is better , or is it pretty much equivalent to the Petrol ? Just talking about MPG's here !
According to Jaguar UK website, I converted l/100km to MPG and the 30d in mixed driving gets around 39mpg. Someone might want to double check me though haha.

Reactions: indydrt

·
Registered
129 Posts
I definitely would have gone for the 3.0d. I have a 3l Diesel in my bmw 335d and it is by far the best engine I have ever had. Smooth and very powerful, 425 lbft will really put you back in your seat. Plus I really appreciate efficiency and the range, in fact the range was probably my biggest concern with the FP.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I definitely would have gone for the 3.0d. I have a 3l Diesel in my bmw 335d and it is by far the best engine I have ever had. Smooth and very powerful, 425 lbft will really put you back in your seat. Plus I really appreciate efficiency and the range, in fact the range was probably my biggest concern with the FP.
Im curious as to why they chose to bring the smaller diesel to the states... I think the 3.0 liter diesel would have been a hot seller.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Im curious as to why they chose to bring the smaller diesel to the states... I think the 3.0 liter diesel would have been a hot seller.
Personally I think it is because, generally speaking, Europeans think Americans are stupid and we can't decide on anything of substance. They must fear that we would sit on the pot contemplating this decision so long that we would eventually choose a different vehicle altogether. One where the manufacturer decided for us.

Also, we are incredibly impatient and need to have our fun immediately. Apparently no one this side of the pond orders their cars to spec and they have to be on the lot in order for them to sell them properly. Three engines would be too many to stock in sufficient quantity. Incidentally, this is also why we have huge and inexplicably cobbled together packages instead of options like they have everywhere else.

So basically, they are calling us a nation of eight year-olds with reasonably large bank accounts.

Honestly though, the current low gas prices make it difficult for the masses to let go of their gasoline high revving engines. However, I am not sure why they haven't released the 2L gas engines like everyone else. Plus, I'll bet they think soccer moms don't like the smell of diesel on their hands.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Personally I think it is because, generally speaking, Europeans think Americans are stupid and we can't decide on anything of substance. They must fear that we would sit on the pot contemplating this decision so long that we would eventually choose a different vehicle altogether. One where the manufacturer decided for us.

Also, we are incredibly impatient and need to have our fun immediately. Apparently no one this side of the pond orders their cars to spec and they have to be on the lot in order for them to sell them properly. Three engines would be too many to stock in sufficient quantity. Incidentally, this is also why we have huge and inexplicably cobbled together packages instead of options like they have everywhere else.

So basically, they are calling us a nation of eight year-olds with reasonably large bank accounts.

Honestly though, the current low gas prices make it difficult for the masses to let go of their gasoline high revving engines. However, I am not sure why they haven't released the 2L gas engines like everyone else. Plus, I'll bet they think soccer moms don't like the smell of diesel on their hands.
Haha, beautifully put.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Because I don't think it's as much about selling these cars because there is demand as much as it is offering a fuel efficient vehicle to check a box with the EPA. Whereas in Europe there is actually demand for them...

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If that's what "they are calling us" , then I would say "they hit the nail right on the head" with that one !!!

According to what I am hearing on this Forum from MANY of the people ,
I would say they are VERY ACCURATE !!!

I am NOT included in that list ,
as someone has already stated that *I* am like at least a "14-year old" !!! >:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Because I don't think it's as much about selling these cars because there is demand as much as it is offering a fuel efficient vehicle to check a box with the EPA. Whereas in Europe there is actually demand for them...
I definitely agree that the demand for diesels here is low, artificially impacted right now by our friends over at VW. However, diesels in general are significantly more fuel efficient than their gasoline cousins.

What you typically get is 90%+ of the performance while being 20-30% more fuel efficient. By way of example my 335d will go 0-60 in about 5s and a 335i will do it in a couple tenths quicker, but the d is a bit faster 5-60. The i gets about 30mpg hwy and the d gets about 36. If you look at the Porsche Cayenne on the other hand they have a proper transmission map and the 3.0L D is faster than the 3.0L gas version (well, at least until they stopped selling them because they lied and cheated a lot more than everyone else and got caught).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I still feel it was a business decision. They were testing the waters, but to us it appears they chose the wrong diesel engine:(.
Is the 30d available in any other Jaguar models in the US?

On thinking about it, that was a dumb question. If they were available in other models, they would have been able to offer it in the FP I guess.

Reactions: ndabunka

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But then you could question why they brought the smaller diesel over, I'm just curious why they chose one over the other. Everyone loves more power and it seems that the 3.0 liter diesel would have been a hot seller.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I think it's a few things. 1) Few diesels are sold in the US, so it doesn't make sense to bring more than one. 2) they plan to come out with a new 3.0L inline 6 in the not-to-distant future. 3) they didn't want to have to go through the certification process for the other engine. There's a significant amount of money required to do this, and it's not smart financially for the relatively low volumes they might sell here. Like was suggested, soccer moms don't like diesels.

Kerry

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Diesel is a lot like soccer in America. People talk about it but it ain't going to catch on. Something like 80%+ of all diesel passenger vehicles in America are Volkswagon built or affliliated. VW fans like diesel. Almost no one else does which is exactly why you don't see buyers of Chevrolet, Ford, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. etc. etc. etcetera clamoring for diesel engined cars, SUVs, and minivans. Diesel being a "hot seller" is a fantasy. Diesel not being a hot seller is a reality.

It's like VHS and Betamax. I'm not saying diesel isn't good or isn't better. I'm saying it isn't popular--in America. And it's not going to become very popular. It's our culture. Gas powered passenger cars are like hotdogs, apple pie, and white bread in 'Merica. Think wheat fields and corn-fed midwestern farm girls. Diesel belongs in trucks in 'Merica not cars. It's culture.

·
Administrator
1,973 Posts
Two things, first it may very well be that the 30d would not pass US emissions 2nd at $2.20 a gallon why wouldn't you by the diesel?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts