Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would rather use the LTE Hotspot on my iPhone with unlimited data to connect the ICTP system to the internet instead of using a 3G sim card. When it is connected it is great, but getting it to connect by itself seems impossible. It seems like I have to go into the wifi settings on ICTP and turn it off and on and turn the personal hotspot off and on on my iPhone to get it connected every time. Anyone have any tricks to get this to automatically connect each time?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would rather use the LTE Hotspot on my iPhone with unlimited data to connect the ICTP system to the internet instead of using a 3G sim card. When it is connected it is great, but getting it to connect by itself seems impossible. It seems like I have to go into the wifi settings on ICTP and turn it off and on and turn the personal hotspot off and on on my iPhone to get it connected every time. Anyone have any tricks to get this to automatically connect each time?
Not entirely answering your question, since I use an Android, but, for the same purpose.

The most reliable method I have found, is to turn the phone hot-spot on well before I even get in the car. Doing it this way, works (almost) all of the time. The connection comes up automatically, before I leave my (somewhat long) driveway.

Hope this helps.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
You also have to have patience. It's not like a home network where it attaches quickly. If you have everything set up right then next time you get in vehicle just make sure phone hotspot is on. Then start vehicle and leave everything alone. I found it can take 3-5 minutes to get connected. I messed with it a lot at first then realized I just had to wait. Full ICTP boot is 90+ seconds then it's a couple of minutes to get to connecting.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The same for the internal 3G service. I noticed when I start my car ICTP is up and running and then it's a couple minutes for the 3G service to connect. Might just be inherent lag in the telematics module as the system starts up.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
The same for the internal 3G service. I noticed when I start my car ICTP is up and running and then it's a couple minutes for the 3G service to connect. Might just be inherent lag in the telematics module as the system starts up.
Good point and you are probably correct as both 3G and the wifi connection are handled by tm unit

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today I sat in my car until I got my hotspot connected. All a manual process which doesn't make sense. I turned the hotspot on my iPhone off and on and then I turned the car on and tried to get it to connect to the phone by going into settings and adding a wi-fi network. At first it said it was not ready but I tried 5 seconds later and it and it let me manually connect to my iPhone. So as long as I take a minute to manually connect it each time I get in the car it should work, but it still doesn't make sense that it won't connect automatically. Also, I tried turning hotspot off and back on and then waiting 10-15 minutes while driving for the car to automatically connect to the hotspot and it never did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally gave up and just ordered a freedom pop sim card. Works much better than trying to use hotspot on my phone.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
181 Posts
So today I sat in my car until I got my hotspot connected. All a manual process which doesn't make sense. I turned the hotspot on my iPhone off and on and then I turned the car on and tried to get it to connect to the phone by going into settings and adding a wi-fi network. At first it said it was not ready but I tried 5 seconds later and it and it let me manually connect to my iPhone. So as long as I take a minute to manually connect it each time I get in the car it should work, but it still doesn't make sense that it won't connect automatically. Also, I tried turning hotspot off and back on and then waiting 10-15 minutes while driving for the car to automatically connect to the hotspot and it never did.
Once the car is in motion, yes I agree it never connects. But i notice one thing. The unit connects to home wifi without any difficulty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts