Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a forum opinion on the thoughts of fellow FPace owners on how important mileage (miles driven) is on the salability of an FPace, if a buyer is looking to buy used. I know on some brands it's a way bigger deal than others. If you were looking to buy a used FPace, does it matter that it has 10k miles or 20k miles, or is price the whole thing after you've found the color and features you desire? Since we're all FPace owners here, this is the group to ask...

My wife's lovely FPace is now a lame duck 馃. It's been 3-1/2 years of sheer fun and proud ownership of a relatively problem free FPace-S (just a bad battery and early rear bushings like everyone had) but we've reached that milestone where I have to make my wife happy with a new car because for some stupid reason that's just what we do every 3 or 4 years like idiots, even though her car has less than 15k miles on it. For crap's sake we've never bought a set of new tires or did a brake job in 20 years! Never had a wife car that long :rolleyes:. Oh well, she's worth it 馃槡. And sometimes I even get to drive the new car...

Opinions welcome. Thanks

F Pace Expert
Knowing what I know now about F-Pace and pretending I don't know you have had few problems, I'd say if I were looking for a used F-Pace I'd want as much mileage/time on warranty as possible. However I don't think 10k-15k or even 20k miles that big a deal but definitely wouldn't be buying one with 35-40k miles on it. I think you are in a good position for selling.

Can't help but say, that's a lot of life equity going down the drain having to swap out cars every three years but happy wife...happy life and my mom grew up in Detroit and was same way with cars. I'm a ten year kinda car guy and would rather let my equity work in a balanced mutual fund than drive off showroom floor ;)

Registered
I would think a used 2017 F-pace with less than 20k on the odo would bring top dollar on a trade. Especially, if it would be traded in at a Jag dealership since it is a perfect option for a CPO vehicle. It also would be a top candidate for a direct buy seller to buyer with that low mileage.

Registered
In my "opinion" , since you asked:giggle: , I feel that a 2-3 Year Old car with very low mileage ,
means a car that has had very little time spent in it to actually KNOW what's WRONG with it !!!
You know when you are able to find out things aren't working properly on something ,
when you USE it . . . . . . . not when it's just sitting !!!

Also , if you were to find a vehicle that met your expectations , and was able to get it CPO'd ,
then you could come away with a 7-Year / 100K-Miles warranty !!!
So , if that vehicle was to have 40K-miles , then you still have 60K-miles left on the warranty ,
and that's the same you would get if you bought a New Vehicle !!!

Now , that being said , a vehicle with LOW mileage ,
will always have a Higher Resale Value !!!

I just went onto KBB , and a 2017 Loaded S with 41K-miles was valued at $43K (private sale) ,
however , the same vehicle with 10K-miles was valued at $47K (private sale) !!!

Registered
...as I just bought a CPO 2017 Fpace yesterday with 34K miles on it. Shoot- where鈥檚 the receipt to return ? Can I bring it to Kohl鈥檚 shipping Dept!??

Registered
For one, your wife should DEFINITELY be leasing. Secondly, it's all about the mileage - lower mileage will usually command a higher price. And if you're trading it in for a new ride, mileage is typically the biggest factor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Knowing what I know now about F-Pace and pretending I don't know you have had few problems, I'd say if I were looking for a used F-Pace I'd want as much mileage/time on warranty as possible.
Like I said, just the early first car rubber bushing problems and Auto S/S issues which took years for the dealer to throw in the towel and finally just put in a new battery and that's all it was. Those were the only "problems" we've had - problems defined as something you can't leave it for the afternoon and get it fixed. We replaced a headlight under warranty about 2 months ago, and that was a (warranty) "issue"- in/out/done. Not the same in my book... if you remember something else I don't remember, enlighten me! I would say our Jag has been reliable otherwise!
For one, your wife should DEFINITELY be leasing. Secondly, it's all about the mileage - lower mileage will usually command a higher price. And if you're trading it in for a new ride, mileage is typically the biggest factor.
I hear ya, we've leased about 1/3 of our cars. It is all my fault - my wife considered her FPace her "forever" car. She loves the look and the power. She only complains that the stereo isn't up to snuff, and I agree. Probably not an issue for most people but she blasts it, and it's not a good loud stereo. I researched what stereo sounds awesome STOCK in todays cars (especially with the brands upgraded one) and Lincoln was the first to come up. As mentioned on another post, She loved the sound of the Revel Ultima system. But, it was like pulling teeth to actually get her to test drive a Black Label Nautilus because she likes her Jag so much. But that's all it took - we ordered a 2020 Black Label Nautilus last week. The stereo, smooth drive and leather quality won out. And, it still is just as powerful. The only loser is me - I get to pay more once again, but I get even more technology than we had, really awesome leather and massaging seats plus another 3-1/2 years of warranty than what we currently have. Heck, I don't think I've bought tires for a wife's car in 30 years - always trying to please the wife!

Very curious what people think of 10k miles versus 20k miles, versus 40k miles in the FPace. I think a lot of people are about the miles, but for me in my last car I bought 6 months ago (my ELR) I was okay with sub 40k miles. As long as it looked good and the interior is excellent I was okay with the 37k miles it had on it, but it's primarily an electric car so that's different. Personally for me though, it was the fact that I got a CPO one, that was the "had to have" issue with me, over miles.

F Pace Expert
sorry, may not have been clear, understand you鈥檝e had pretty trouble free experience. i was just saying that i was trying to give you an opinion of relative value of. ilwage as if i didn鈥檛 know anything about history of your vehicle.

Registered
I would think a used 2017 F-pace with less than 20k on the odo would bring top dollar on a trade.
Not if it sat at a dealership for a fair amount of that time with problems..That's another way to get low mileage....
When things look out of the ordinary, high or low, miles, money, or whatever.... you better have both ears up !

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
I've had our car only on CarGurus now for 6 days. An interesting note is that there's been no saves. I priced it around $2000 less than any other S model anywhere near us (500 mile radius), but no saves. People know that anyone can arrange for shipping to another state easily by calling someone like DAS. So that might mean that all those FPaces out there are just sitting there for sale and not moving. Everyone is just pricing theirs as compared to the next guy. So we'll see. We' not in an hurry to sell as we won't see our Nautilus for at least 8 weeks maybe up to 12.

The one thing I learned about CarGurus is give it time. I advertised my i3 6 months ago and had only a jerk low-baller annoy me for a few weeks. And then at the 3 week mark the dam broke and had a flurry of interested parties even offering me full asking price. It's weird. Obviously color and wheels makes a big difference, so maybe our color/wheel choices puts us in a narrow market. Time will tell.

Registered
Mileage means a lot to me! I'm too familiar with the horror stories of how much it costs to fix these things (especially the diesel engine) so I'd like as much mileage left on the warranty as possible. In fact, i'm considering trading it in right before it gets off warranty for a new one. That way someone can get a CPO one and i'd be back to zero.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Have you gotten a quote from your Lincoln dealer, or CarMax, or Carvana?
I assume you mean selling the FPace through the aforementioned parties. I've learned by buying a ton of new cars in my life that generally the dealer will give you squat for your car unless they sell them. If your car is not "in their wheelhouse" they don't want to deal with it. The guys at Lincoln straight up said they'd low ball give me a price I wouldn't like - for crap sake at least they were honest about it... I wasn't even going to ask them anyway.

My experience with Carmax is that they offer you a REALLY insulting price and then email you a few times "are you sure?" And then charge more than anyone really wants to pay. I have no experience with Carvana but gut feeling it would be the same thing. They have to make money and they have to move it so someone needs to lose and they want it to be me of course 馃幉

Registered
Mileage means a lot to me! I'm too familiar with the horror stories of how much it costs to fix these things (especially the diesel engine) so I'd like as much mileage left on the warranty as possible. In fact, i'm considering trading it in right before it gets off warranty for a new one. That way someone can get a CPO one and i'd be back to zero.
Having a diesel, I can say that your biggest enemy is the emissions system, and that should (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..) be warranted for 8/80 on a federal emissions warranty. It doesn't cover everything, but it does cover the main expensive components. A diesel with 60-100K on it is really just breaking in at about 40-60K miles, so mileage means nothing per se to the engine.. Emissions crap is what does them in repair [email protected] about 75-100K with DPF filter or DEF injection issues.... Keep using good fuel, give them a regular 1-2 hour hot run every few weeks, * (Diesels love to work and run hot, nothing better for them...) Change your oil every 10K, and change your fuel filters every 20 k or so, and this engine should outlast the rest of the semi reliable systems on this vehicle.....

Registered
I've had our car only on CarGurus now for 6 days. An interesting note is that there's been no saves. I priced it around $2000 less than any other S model anywhere near us (500 mile radius), but no saves. People know that anyone can arrange for shipping to another state easily by calling someone like DAS. So that might mean that all those FPaces out there are just sitting there for sale and not moving. Everyone is just pricing theirs as compared to the next guy. So we'll see. We' not in an hurry to sell as we won't see our Nautilus for at least 8 weeks maybe up to 12.

The one thing I learned about CarGurus is give it time. I advertised my i3 6 months ago and had only a jerk low-baller annoy me for a few weeks. And then at the 3 week mark the dam broke and had a flurry of interested parties even offering me full asking price. It's weird. Obviously color and wheels makes a big difference, so maybe our color/wheel choices puts us in a narrow market. Time will tell.
I love the color combo of yours! :) My concern would be more paying that price but not getting the CPO warranty.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Yes actually the dealer gave us want we wanted (we were shocked) so we traded it in. One thing I learned about CarGurus is it's a great place to look for cars for the most part but people have this thing about private sellers. People want to buy from dealers. Maybe it's because they think that they will have to go a get the car in person, I dunno. I could have arranged for shipping anywhere it's easy. I've used D.A.S. a couple times and you can track your car with the GPS in the semi bringing your rig. But we didn't want to hold out and deal with idiots who kept offering us lowball offers and expecting us to accept them. I mean we had arrogant ^$$hole$ who would send us a text and say I'm bringing $35k so where can we meet to get the car?

Anyway car is at the dealer now and we have a new Lincoln Black Label Nautilus that's awesome and very Jag like in Sports mode! I was actually shocked at how Jag it feels when you hit the S button!

Registered
Interesting that we just went from a 2015 Lincoln MKc CPO to a 2019 F Pace Premium CPO. Both cars were fully loaded, but in my mind when a car hits about 55k it's time for a new one.

Registered
deafsoundguy...I saved your F pace listing when it was up for sale, and the new dealer listing just popped up on my screen. This technology stuff is something else!

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah weird ... must be VIN based. It's funny that the dealer told us originally up front that they wouldn't give us squat on a trade in because it's "not in their wheelhouse". It was understandable. As we came close to our new car getting delivered, we went back in and said "well just how much would you give us since we keep getting idiots offering us stupid money?". And they ended up offering us just about what we wanted so we said GREAT. I should say that one of the salesguys came out to look at the car, and within 2 minutes offered a respectable price! He walked around it, sat in it, took the VIN and did a glance around the inside and that was IT. Never even drove it... With less than 15k miles and dealing with us for 6 weeks I think they just trusted us...馃槆

1 - 20 of 20 Posts