Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all

Firstly - please note this relates to the basic ITC model. Although I'm guessing to could apply to all.

I've got a few 32gb (FAT 32) USB pen drives - I've reformatted them and dragged and dropped about 25 gb of music from iTunes onto them.

Once inserted into the car - the unit recognises the USB as expected and I thought everything was good. But on closer inspection I noticed that some albums were missing and additionally in about 30% of the albums, once selected, not all the tracks were showing on the head unit? This is though I've confirmed they have copied onto the device on the PC

I've tried different USB devices of differing sizes and formatted at different allocation sizes and have had the same issues. The problem does appear to be completely random as copying the same files across to a different USB device will sometimes have different albums or different tracks missing.

I've discount the bit rate, as looking at the various bit rates of the copies - this doesn't correlate or have any relationship to the missing tracks or albums? Neither does whether the tracks are MP3 or M4A format

What is anyone else using regarding their USBs - What size pen drives? are they USB2 or 3? I'm guessing you should all be formatted at FAT 32, but what is the file allocation size on the device?

Anyone else had similar issues at all or have info that could assist in this annoying little issue!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why Fat32?
Trek: Is there another file format that works with these systems? I don't have experience with the ICT, but my Pro (now) works with FAT 32 USB drives. I had to wait until the 3.0 update before music files played without skipping, but music playback is acceptable now.

Everything I've read so far says that FAT 32 is the only option. Please educate me Sir.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did try NTFS and this works to a degree - But it will only recognize about 8 tracks per album. Anything after this doesn't show. Also the owners manual says the USB device should be formatted at FAT32 - so followed the instruction.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
DRM issues with some iTunes tracks?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update -

I've carried on with trying to fix this - tried an old USB hardrive as well as editing the MP3 metadata to see if thats an issue - still no fix. The latest thing I've noticed is the on the USB stick I've been trying there are 3550 tracks, but the head unit is not recognising this, its picking up approx 1900.

Then to cause me more frustration, I noticed that removing the USB device and plugging it back in that causes different tracks to with appear or disappear. For example - USB plugged in and recognises the new Ed Sheeran album. Open the album it shows only 3 tracks. Removed USB and immediately plugged back in - this time 5 tracks appear? But on other USB devices with the same tracks and precisely the same data it shows all the tracks from this album?

Can I ask what size USB people are using and amount of tracks etc on the drives. Wondering if there a issue with the amount of tracks its able to recognise?

Has anyone tried using a solid state USB drive at all?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 128G USB thumb (pinky really) drive that I have tried to use. It recognizes the music but navigation of the files is painfully slow.

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts
There has been at least one deep deep dive on this subject previously, search thoroughly on here and you might turn it up. I use a 16gb drive formatted with FAT32 and everything works fine, ICTP though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
USB / MP3 Issues - Missing tracks and albums - UPDATED with findings

OK - I'm gonna drop this now. Here's my findings!! (Please note this is the basic ITC)

All forms of USB memory device, when 32gb or more, when inserted do not recognise all the tracks on the device and have random tracks missing from albums and some albums missing completely. This amount of errors can change when the USB is removed and reinserted! In general when a device with 3500 tracks is inserted - it will usually recognise up to 1900 individual tracks.

I've tried 32, 64 & 128gb USB stick devices, USB 2 and 3 devices formatted at different allocation unit sizes, I've tried solid state hard drives, high performance micro SD card in a adapter Also tried amending metadata with the MP3 files.

I did find that a 8gb USB (hold 960 tracks) drive will recognise everything as should be the case, but as some others have mentioned, the performance and speed of this wasn't great at all. Haven't been able to try a 16gb USB as I only have 8,32,64 and 128 devices at hand.

I've now resorted back to using an attached Ipod. This does work as expected - all tracks are there and the response speed is considerably quicker than the USB device. Only downside to the iPod is that it doesn't work with the voice recognition, which the USB device will.

I have given up with the USB idea - iPod is the way forward for this F-Pace owner from now on...... I'm sick to death of running out to the car armed with numerous USB in my pocket to try now!!

Apart from this very minor issue as I now see it.... loving the car!! Tis a beauty!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry to regurge an old thread but I am using a 16gb USB and all songs play just fine. They index fine too.

The issue is the album art. It is all there. It is on the computer and it will show on the phone as well. Just it will not show album art for all the songs/albums on the ICTP. Is the format incorrect or what am I missing?

·
F Pace Expert
2,583 Posts

·
Administrator
1,975 Posts
As much as JLR would like to tout that they worked with Intel to produce the CPU and data for their head end I think it is slow at best (for music especially). It may very well be that there are just so may tunes it can recognize at a time. Depending on how it reads the USB may determine which songs it sees first.

I just don't see the point of album covers as opposed to just the name of the album. Do most people care what the album cover looks like? Not sure about the worth of Grace Notes.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have a 64G USB/3.0 micro-drive and I converted to MP3 and loaded about 150 different tracks from all my CD's...And at first it played them all perfectly and I was happy to have a back-up source of music..The other day I went to the USB source, Which I leave PLUGGED IN and the entire drive was wiped clean except for one song...Baffled:confused:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a 64G USB/3.0 micro-drive and I converted to MP3 and loaded about 150 different tracks from all my CD's...And at first it played them all perfectly and I was happy to have a back-up source of music..The other day I went to the USB source, Which I leave PLUGGED IN and the entire drive was wiped clean except for one song...Baffled:confused:

Was this the one song it left?

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Was this the one song it left?
Unfortunately I can't see the Video you posted on my work computer...so I don't know which one you're talking about...But I will tell you which one was left...Godsmack--Voodoo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts