Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed on the news releases that JLR decided to join us in 2017 and give the MY18s a 4G connection. If you have a 2017, would this be a possible upgrade? I'm not techy enough to know if they could just go back in a pop something into the ICTP system.
Anyone? I've cancelled my MY17 build and will now get the 18, but I'm curious......:nerd:

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
I doubt it's upgradeable unless they did indeed offer a replacement telematics unit, which is a separate component from ICTP system. Good catch though as this is the first mention I've seen of move to 4G which is overdue. That said, my basic testing of the 3G connection shows it's plenty fast enough for vehicle related communication though might be lagging for those who do use the hotspot for things like kid's iPads, etc.

Interesting enough question that I'm going to query dealer about this.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a three-year old, so streaming video in the vehicle is a big deal. Hence the 4G announcement was something that jumped out at me. I have 4G-LTE hotspot in my GMC which is a 2015, so I'm glad to see JLR is finally catching up.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
130 Posts
just get a verizon sim...the AT&T sim is only capable of 3g

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
Does anyone have any specs on which cellular module is used in the F-Pace. With that we can see what frequencies and speeds are supported.
This was covered somewhere long long ago and someone dug up the actual telematics unit used. It is clearly ONLY 3G. My few tests of 3G connection in Denver via my phone connected by wifi to car wifi yielded around 12mb fairly reliably. Speeds elsewhere could be higher because Denver is know to be slow due to cellular infrastructure lagging behind growth of city. To second the comment above Verizon does not offer a 3G SIM nor would it make a difference if they did, the 2017 is only 3G.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The good news is that, based on VZX's speed test, the 3G telematics module seems to support what the carriers called "4G" prior to LTE. HSPA should be adequate for most use cases. Need to do my own set of speed tests compared to my iPhone on the same AT&T network.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have found myself using wifi a lot more than I ever thought I would. Has anyone tried (or know if its reasonable) to upgrade the 3G in the 2017s to the 4G offered in the 2018?

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
I have found myself using wifi a lot more than I ever thought I would. Has anyone tried (or know if its reasonable) to upgrade the 3G in the 2017s to the 4G offered in the 2018?
1) unclear if it was ever confirmed that the telematics system in 2018 is different from the one in 2017, anyone ever confirm this?
2) I doubt that you can swap out 2017 unit for a 2018 one but if you want to find out ask your service department to check with Jaguar, bet it's a lot more than my cup holder swap but let us all know if you find out one way or the other and ask about #1 first

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Software and hardware need to be different. I'm sure it's possible if you hack it in some way since all the parts and software is there and available. The challenge will probably be getting the 18 telematics module to interface with the rest of the 17 modules that the telematics normally interfaces with. I'm guessing it could get sloppy since I'm sure API interfaces and other such things the software does to talk between modules could have changed.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it mean that mine 2018 is 4G? Is there a simple way to check this?
Supposedly. But none of the 18s show a 4G connection apparently.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My son has streamed his ipad on my 3G and it was fast enough. No issues on a long trip through the midwest.

I also used a Verizon 4G jetpack as the connection and then had the vehicle use it as its connection. No noticeable difference in applications.

Normally I would be pissed or feeling shorted in them switching the tech to 4G right after I get the 3G - but honestly, I think it is a non-issue. Nothing I will lose sleep over.

·
Registered
207 Posts
So I noticed on the news releases that JLR decided to join us in 2017 and give the MY18s a 4G connection. If you have a 2017, would this be a possible upgrade? I'm not techy enough to know if they could just go back in a pop something into the ICTP system.
Anyone? I've cancelled my MY17 build and will now get the 18, but I'm curious......:nerd:
Let's just say that The color and the 4G WFI were my main reasons to order MY18 and not just grab a MY17. when we took delivery of the vehicle that was one of the first things I asked the dealership. I was like wait a min, where is my 4G WIFI? why is it showing 3G on the screen? I was then told that I didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed the press release from JLR and the SG said this must in the UK only because they are not aware of the 4G for the MY18. Long story short, I didn't win that battle. in fact, they showed me my built sheet which it was listed clearly as 3G, not 4G. im not sure that will change in the future or if I swap SIM cards to a different provider but as of now it's showing 3G on MY18

whats more interesting, that nowhere on the Jauager F-pace web site 4G is mentioned! all that is listed that there is Wi-Fi Hotspot (screenshot attached) HOWEVER, if you go the E-Pace site it clearly listing the hotspot as 4G WIFI

I also attached a screenshot of my build sheet

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Let's just say that The color and the 4G WFI were my main reasons to order MY18 and not just grab a MY17. when we took delivery of the vehicle that was one of the first things I asked the dealership. I was like wait a min, where is my 4G WIFI? why is it showing 3G on the screen? I was then told that I didn't know what I was talking about, so I showed the press release from JLR and the SG said this must in the UK only because they are not aware of the 4G for the MY18. Long story short, I didn't win that battle. in fact, they showed me my built sheet which it was listed clearly as 3G, not 4G. im not sure that will change in the future or if I swap SIM cards to a different provider but as of now it's showing 3G on MY18

whats more interesting, that nowhere on the Jauager F-pace web site 4G is mentioned! all that is listed that there is Wi-Fi Hotspot (screenshot attached) HOWEVER, if you go the E-Pace site it clearly listing the hotspot as 4G WIFI

I also attached a screenshot of my build sheet
Sorry forgot to attach

Attachments

·
F Pace Expert
2,582 Posts
At risk of repeating what has been posted many times in other threads; your SIM card will make no difference in 3G or 4G, it's the telematics hardware that controls this. Also you cannot, as far as I've seen, obtain a "4G" SIM in US for F-Pace. That's the bad news. The good news is that unless you are planning on watching a bunch of video through your hotspot the speed of the 3G connection is pretty good and handles all vehicle needs.

Reactions: MTGRL

·
Registered
25 Posts
At risk of repeating what has been posted many times in other threads; your SIM card will make no difference in 3G or 4G, it's the telematics hardware that controls this. Also you cannot, as far as I've seen, obtain a "4G" SIM in US for F-Pace. That's the bad news. The good news is that unless you are planning on watching a bunch of video through your hotspot the speed of the 3G connection is pretty good and handles all vehicle needs.
This is completely correct. 3G and 4G use completely different technologies and can not change with just a SIM card change. The US AT&T 3G in the F-Pace uses GSM, but 4G it typically LTE.

Also I have a 2018 F-Pace and can confirm it is still only using 3G.

·
Registered
207 Posts
what i meant to say is swap the sim card to a different provider. I know other people here who have done it. they are using T-mobile and one guy is even using Freedompop on his F-pace.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts