Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Writing on behalf of my mother who just took ownership of her Ingot Fpace recently... She describes the following situation - When pulling into a parking space with a down hill slope, the motor did its auto turn off feature while she was shifting into Park. She admits that she was quick with the shift into Park since she was very angry about all the Christmas hubbub. The motor then races, car evidently DOESNT shift into park and plows right over a sign, a curb, and almost smack straight into the front of a burger store while she is standing on the brake.

Man I hate to bring up the spectre of 80's Audi, but she was so scared she now won't drive the car.

Any record of this with anybody else? Car goes nuts unless you gingerly wait for the auto turn-off feature to complete before you shift into Park? What the what?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Writing on behalf of my mother who just took ownership of her Ingot Fpace recently... She describes the following situation - When pulling into a parking space with a down hill slope, the motor did its auto turn off feature while she was shifting into Park. She admits that she was quick with the shift into Park since she was very angry about all the Christmas hubbub. The motor then races, car evidently DOESNT shift into park and plows right over a sign, a curb, and almost smack straight into the front of a burger store while she is standing on the brake.

Man I hate to bring up the spectre of 80's Audi, but she was so scared she now won't drive the car.

Any record of this with anybody else? Car goes nuts unless you gingerly wait for the auto turn-off feature to complete before you shift into Park? What the what?
I don't understand what you are describing. With your foot on the brake, you put the car into park, engine still on. The car goes nowhere. You shut off the engine with your finger and get out. What do you mean by "auto turn-off?" There is no such thing.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Love the randomness of your user name, Haha! Sorry to hear about the incident with your mom and the F-pace. So from what I gathered about the situation, your mom pulled into a parking spot that was on a downward slope, auto start/stop engaged and she placed it into park. This is where I get a little lost, when you say the motor raced do you mean the auto start/stop then switched off, turned out she wasn't in park and the car went forward (surprising her obviously) and she ran over a few things? Then, she panics and stomps on the brake?

My auto start/stop works like this when parking. I pull into a spot, once I stop, even just for an instance it will engage. Unless I myself shift it into park or open the door it is still in drive, so if you come off of the brake the car will start up and will move forward, just as it would if you were driving on a road. My recommendation would be to turn off auto start/stop every time you get in the car.
@Trek I think she is referring to the auto start/stop

Reactions: ndabunka

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Jman, your description is consistent with what I saw with Auto Start Stop before I permanently disengaged it. 7100 miles and I never saw this behavior. I've driven about 2000 of the miles with Auto Start/Stop engaged before I permanently disengaged it.

I need to see pics, if this really did happen I'm sorry as well, but I think it's akin to jumping out of the car with the car still in park. The sequence your mom went through must have not gotten the car to park before she took her foot off the brake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just replicated the situation in the parking lot of the local elementary. Seatbelt has to be fastened for it to do it. With seatbelt not fastened the car bahaves just like any normal car. Drive slow to a stop, foot on brake - motor does its economy whatever bs auto start stop - if knob is being turned through the "R" position toward "P" at the same time the car tries to lunge forward as the motor restarts. Headed to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Just replicated the situation in the parking lot of the local elementary. Seatbelt has to be fastened for it to do it. With seatbelt not fastened the car bahaves just like any normal car. Drive slow to a stop, foot on brake - motor does its economy whatever bs auto start stop - if knob is being turned through the "R" position toward "P" at the same time the car tries to lunge forward as the motor restarts. Headed to the dealer asap.
Ive never experienced this, and I still use auto start/stop on a daily basis. Have had the car since August and never once had this happen. I think whats happening is very hard to explain because I am not getting what you are trying to say, its not really making sense? Maybe take a video if ya can?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the car moves after you have stopped and your foot is on the brake, regardless of what you do with the shifter, there is something wrong. I've never had a problem with the auto start and it's a very unobtrusive system, I think.

Reactions: Trek

·
Registered
198 Posts
Could she have assumed the car had shut off since the engine shut down because of the " auto start and stop " and not put it in park and since she didn't put it in park and she took her foot off the brake the car moved forward ? Where you in the car to experience the incident ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Most "unintended acceration" arises from people hitting accelerators when they think they hit the brake. Color me skeptical. I have had zero problems with the auto off.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Could she have assumed the car had shut off since the engine shut down because of the " auto start and stop " and not put it in park and since she didn't put it in park and she took her foot off the brake the car moved forward ? Where you in the car to experience the incident ?
Bingo

·
Registered
129 Posts
I believe that the interesting part of the description provided by the OP was that she attempted to shift very quickly after coming to a stop. Before the ASS shut down the engine and then thought that the engine was in fact shutting down while the gear selector was turning. ASS works annoyingly well in my FP, doing what it was designed to do but I can honestly say that I never tried shifting that quickly after coming to a stop so I cannot offer an opinion here... Has anyone else tried this? The thought that the OP reproduced the racing engine under these conditions is a bit concerning, at least to me.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
This makes me even more determined to permanently disengage-auto-stop-start :|
From what I have read here, the only owners that benefit from this feature, are those that spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yup, yup, yup. That's the problem. It's not the car. The person did not understand how to properly use the auto start/stop. I never take my foot off the brake until the car is in 'park.' Auto start/stop engaged or not. NEVER. And once the car is in park, it's not going anywhere. This appears to be an unfortunate example of driver error.

I won't permanently disengage mine since I'm the only one who drives it (other than my dealer's terrible driving service guys). But if my wife wants to start driving it, I'll have to disengage it permanently. She might also not fully understand how the system works. Whatever you do, people, never take your foot off the brake unless the car is already in Park.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most "unintended acceration" arises from people hitting accelerators when they think they hit the brake. Color me skeptical. I have had zero problems with the auto off.
I believe that the interesting part of the description provided by the OP was that she attempted to shift very quickly after coming to a stop. Before the ASS shut down the engine and then thought that the engine was in fact shutting down while the gear selector was turning. ASS works annoyingly well in my FP, doing what it was designed to do but I can honestly say that I never tried shifting that quickly after coming to a stop so I cannot offer an opinion here... Has anyone else tried this? The thought that the OP reproduced the racing engine under these conditions is a bit concerning, at least to me.
Yup, yup, yup. That's the problem. It's not the car. The person did not understand how to properly use the auto start/stop. I never take my foot off the brake until the car is in 'park.' Auto start/stop engaged or not. NEVER. And once the car is in park, it's not going anywhere. This appears to be an unfortunate example of driver error.
Did you guys read that OP was able to reproduce the problem in a parking lot? See post #5.
OP, please keep us updated if you find something new.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i seriously do not see this as a problem. shifting too fast can pose unexpected problems. it's basically the system still staying in Drive while you shift through the gears to Park. of all issues i see this as attributed to overall system lag.....(on a side note, if u've been driving the pace long enough, you'll notice there's noticeable lag or "reaction" time w/ the entire system for many different functions. and u just adopt to jag's system, just like any other car.)

i seriously doubt this is something jlr is going to fix........until maybe reported accidents related to fast shifting warrants them to issue a recall w/ nhtsa....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was not able to replicate the problem at all on my car. I tried about 10 times, while varying my rapidness slightly each time. The car behaved very reliably and predictably.

Reactions: VZX-CO

·
Registered
118 Posts
My first day with my FP, I noticed that my foot on the brake was also over on the accelerator, and it was revving up a bit. I had to alter the way I set my foot, and still notice at times I have my foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time. I think the accelerator peddle is a bit higher than the brake peddle and if your foot is not over far enough your pushing down on both.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My first day with my FP, I noticed that my foot on the brake was also over on the accelerator, and it was revving up a bit. I had to alter the way I set my foot, and still notice at times I have my foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time. I think the accelerator peddle is a bit higher than the brake peddle and if your foot is not over far enough your pushing down on both.
I think its very possible she did not switch it to park (the puck is hard to get used to for people who are used to normal shifters). The auto start/stop engaged, thought she was in park so she lifted her foot off of brake and car went forward and its very possible that because she was panicked she may have hit the brake and gas at the same time causing the engine to rev. Just a hypothesis that I'm working on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was not able to replicate the problem at all on my car. I tried about 10 times, while varying my rapidness slightly each time. The car behaved very reliably and predictably.
She admits that she was quick with the shift into Park since she was very angry about all the Christmas hubbub.
try bringing urself into full on hulk mode.

·
F Pace Expert
2,546 Posts
I think its very possible she did not switch it to park (the puck is hard to get used to for people who are used to normal shifters). The auto start/stop engaged, thought she was in park so she lifted her foot off of brake and car went forward and its very possible that because she was panicked she may have hit the brake and gas at the same time causing the engine to rev. Just a hypothesis that I'm working on.
Reminder, there is a Topix item regarding gap between brake and accelerator pedals. In some instances needs to be widened slightly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts