Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So had a fun visit to the service department today. Called to get my 20D in for the 40K service since I’m in the window and was worried they might stop appointments any day now. Easy peasy drop off, get the call to pick up a couple hours later (after telling me they’ll have to order a new seat track for my drivers seat since it started to “rock” upon acceleration from a stop) and notice that one tire is about 10 psi too high. Asked the service guy to run it to the back and have it adjusted, no worries. He brings it back around, waves me over, and asks “do you hear that?!” Honestly I couldn’t hear anything weird, but he keeps revving it a little and says it’s “humming” and then throws out “that’s your turbocharger, and there is something seriously wrong if it’s making that noise”. Welp. So I got a nice little E-Pace loaner and I’ll get a follow up call on Monday. Super glad I had him fix the tire pressure cuz who knows if I would have caught it before something truly terrible happened on the road.
I’ll try to update as soon as I know more next week.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Nice that he found it before you had a major issue with it. Also with the fact that it should be covered under warrantee!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
Heard from the service dept today and I am indeed getting a brand new turbocharger. He didn’t elaborate on what was wrong with the original but I’ll try to get that info after the repair is done. It’s under warranty thankfully and they have the parts in stock (hooray!) so hopefully it will be done this week.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Would be good to hear what they say the problem was, usually turbo's go because of insufficient lubrication. But failures are rare, and most turbo's are built by companies that really know the parameters and the environment they are in. Glad to see it was covered....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lost the turbo while driving in the 20d about a year ago. Got a trip to the dealer‘s via rollback on a rainy Saturday afternoon. When they took it apart, they found the intake tube and intercooler full of oil, and internal failure (propeller damage) to the turbo unit. It may be rare, but it happens.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So got it back finally today! I'm going to copy the paperwork vebatum and then tell you all how I interpreted it (my service guy was gone by the time I got to pick up this evening so all I got was paperwork and car). Please chime in if anyone thinks something different.
So first off, they updated my ICTP to 19C without prompting under "RECALL H251" so that was a plus. Now for the engine noise:

"A whining noise was evident while accelerating up to 2000 rpms, the engine oil level was inspected and was found to be low by one quart, the oil level was filled up but the noise was still present. The turbo charger inlet hose was removed and it was found to have excessive oil on it, the turbo charger shaft was checked and it was found that it had excessive play on the bearing. It was suspected of a turbo charger failure, after the repair the noise was still present, the oil pressure was checked and it was found to be within specifications. The noise was then isolated with a stethoscope to be coming from the engine block on both sides, technical assistance was requested at this point. TA advised to replace both balance shafts, the engine was removed to access the shafts, it was necessary to remove the DPF as per topix then remove the engine. After the repair the vehicle was road tested and was found to be working as expected."

First off, I find it really interesting the engine oil was a quart low when the whole reason it was in for service to begin with was the 40K mile service, including oil change. And they didn't find the whining noise until that service had been completed, so oil should have been at tip top levels. But anyway, it kind of sounds like the turbocharger was fine and didn't really need to be replaced but they had already done that by the time they figured it out.......am I reading that right?

While it was in the shop, I also had to have the front driver seat frame replaced (it was moving a little upon acceleration from a stop) and they found out the motor in the right LED headlight had failed and so it was also replaced.

Everything covered under warranty, hooray!! Super glad to have my FP back though I did enjoy the EPace loaner on the drive to and from the dealer (following stay at home orders since I'm essential but unemployed still).

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I think the real question is "did they put enough oil in the engine initially, before they road tested it". My Jag dealer has gotten things screwed up on filling crankcase oil due to different oil levels for the variety of their engines. If they didn't, and ran it for a while trying to figure out the whining noise and there wasn't enough oil in the engine to lubricate the turbo it wouldn't take long for the turbo to fail. After the turbo failed, they then put more oil in the engine and that is when because of the failed turbo oil ended up getting in the turbo inlet due to the bearing and seal failures in the turbo. After they fixed all that and got the right level of oil in the engine the balance shafts were still making the noise.

I don't know much about balance shafts but I assume they move opposite the pistons to balance the overall engine. I'm thinking they could also have been damage due to the lack of oil on the initial change. I'm thinking if they filled it up completely on the initial oil change, none of these issues would have happened. That is just a guess, but if you engine wasn't making this noise when you initially took it in and it wasn't smoking which the failed turbo seals should have caused. I think this all could have been caused by a lack of enough oil in the crankcase after the oil change.

·
Registered
592 Posts
... I think this all could have been caused by a lack of enough oil in the crankcase after the oil change.
Would you expect a problem with just "a quart low"?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I'm guessing it was probably lower than a quart and that is all they told Mtgrl.

How many quarts of oil does the Diesel take?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It holds 7 quarts roughly, 1 quart low isn't great, but wouldn't be a death sentence to components. 2 quarts ,yes, but prob not one. But we will never really know that.
It is reasonably logical that the oil jockey at the dealership did not give it the proper fill at previous change. Mine doesn't use a drop between changes.... I've watched these guys and the oil change guy is usually the least experienced one in the svc dept. They suck it out with a vac, change the filter, then fill the vehicle from a big tote of oil with a spout can. Usually they measure the amount in the spout can and never pull the dipstick to check. ( If you even have one...) They could easily use the wrong oil or think its the same volume as a gasser (Which it isn't)... I always check the paperwork for proper part # and the level before I leave the dealership... Or of course, I change my own on the odd years they don't....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts