Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Does everyone on here , really think that it is NOT NORMAL for two plastic pieces that are rubbing together , to get scuff marks on them ??? As far as I can tell , the moving plastic piece that is on the floor , is just a decorative cover surrounding the receiver hook in the floor , and also to keep objects from falling down in there !!! It probably doesn't even have to be on there !!! I don't think the scuff marks on plastic is a major issue , it's not like it is metal that could rust !!!
Just my opinion , of course !!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Does everyone on here , really think that it is NOT NORMAL for two plastic pieces that are rubbing together , to get scuff marks on them ??? As far as I can tell , the moving plastic piece that is on the floor , is just a decorative cover surrounding the receiver hook in the floor , and also to keep objects from falling down in there !!! It probably doesn't even have to be on there !!! I don't think the scuff marks on plastic is a major issue , it's not like it is metal that could rust !!!
Just my opinion , of course !!!
Mine is absolutely scuff free. I'm in and out of the back just about every time I drive it. Just turned 6,000 yesterday. Not a hint of a scrape. Guess I got lucky again, (except I didn't win the Powerball).

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Does everyone on here , really think that it is NOT NORMAL for two plastic pieces that are rubbing together
But that is the point, my good man, the two plastic (or metal or metal and plastic) should not rub together if the clearances are proper. Yes on the actual metal latch, on the metal catch, but as others have stated, theirs do not rub. Remember, several of us have this issue with the folding mirrors. As much as I love the F-Pace, there is some sloppy quality control going on. Puddle lights that are cut off, hood alignment, hatch alignment, wobbly seats, lose bolts, many creaks and groans. I think every owner has found one or more of these things. Does that mean that 99.9% (pick your figure) that is an engineering and styling marvel should be disparaged? No. But remember, just like everything in life, we can do better, JLR can do better.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Mine is absolutely scuff free. I'm in and out of the back just about every time I drive it. Just turned 6,000 yesterday. Not a hint of a scrape. Guess I got lucky again, (except I didn't win the Powerball).
Give it some time , Seminole Boy !!! You just took ownership not too long ago !!!;)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
But that is the point, my good man, the two plastic (or metal or metal and plastic) should not rub together if the clearances are proper.
theweeb , have you NOT watched the mechanism in action ??? The Plastic Cover around the Hook on the Hatch Door and the Plastic Cover around the Hook in the Floor , are *SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED* to *Come Into Contact (RUB)* each other !!! The one on the door PUSHES the one in the floor down , so that the two Hooks can lock together !!! Did you ever think , maybe that is WHY they made those pieces out of *PLASTIC* , instead of Metal ??? They are two pieces , that serve a purpose , and are NEVER seen , unless you open the hatch !!!

You are correct , it is the same situation as the Mirrors !!!
But there AGAIN , it is Two *Plastic* pieces RUBBING together !!! That are ONLY seen , if you look up under the bottom of your mirror !!!

I will not deny , that there are PLENTY of *Quality Control* Issues , that need to be addressed !!! But IMO , these pieces are working the way they were DESIGNED to !!!

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
Got an answer from the dealer. While my car is there for several issues ( look at other thread) I asked about the hatch slamming shut. I stopped by today for an update and asked about the "soft close". I was told there is not a "soft close" like on an XJ where the latch pulls the trunk lid shut once it touched the latch. What we do have is that it supposed to come to a stop then the struts go really slow for the latch. Each of the hatch struts are computer controlled. So each one can be control independently. I was told they will hook up the computer and recalibrate them. So when I pick it up we will see if it's fixed.

Thanks
DP

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Glanced at mine finally and noticed I too have the scuffing and the hatch just seems to slam itself closed. Alignment looks to be alright, I'll just add it to my list of things to eventually ask about at a future service appointment.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My '18 closes at a steady pace with no hesitation. So it falls into the clunker CATegory... It doesn't seem to be concerning and there are no scratches to the plastic surrounding the latch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Here?s a video from jaguar showing how the gesture tailgate works, but you?ll also notice that there is no ?soft close?, it?s just one fluid motion.

The F Pace has no true soft close latches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Knql8Py1_yU
That's exactly how mine works !!! So I gotz no complaints !!! I gotz understandable scuff marks on the plastic covers over the hooks , but still no complaints !!! In my opinion , everything is working as it should !!!>:)

Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ok, folks. I finally was able to record the issue, including videos showing what I mean by "soft" close present vs. no "soft" close present:

Soft Close. This is what is supposed to happen and what usually does (listen and observe carefully at the end):

No Soft Close Present. This is what sometimes happens and what I consider an issue. When it occurs, it occurs for multiple times in a row. Unable to cause it to happen on demand otherwise, though:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
Got the car back today front the dealer. They fixed the back hatch. It now closes at a constant speed then the last inch it slowly locks. What they did to fix it was adjust the latch on the door it looks to be moved about 1/4 inch. They also adjusted the latch bar that's on the floor. The last thing was to reset both electric arms. I have attached the picture of the adjustment

Thanks
DP

Attachments

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
Here is the W/O

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Here is the W/O
Stress Marks!

I feel validated, from @GRVR's comment about how those marks should be there, plastic and plastic and all of that. Thanks so much for running this down, you are a true watchmaker.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Here is the W/O
Thank you. I've got faint marks on the latch, which I considered normal; but perhaps they're not normal after all and suggest slight adjustment, if not the full 1/4 inch, could be in latch assembly's future. Thanks!

Reactions: TLockhart

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Stress Marks!

I feel validated, from @GRVR's comment about how those marks should be there, plastic and plastic and all of that. Thanks so much for running this down, you are a true watchmaker.
I'm sure that YOU will agree that , in order to jump on the *GR* was WRONG bandwagon , then the only way to CONFIRM he was wrong , is if the Service Department REPLACED the scuffed up pieces , and after more use , see if the NEW pieces get scuff marks !!! If they are not supposed to get scuff marks , then they should have been replaced !!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
since this thread was created, I started paying more attention to my hatch close and sure enough, I'm getting the same issue. Sometime's soft close, other times no soft close. I also have the tell tale marks on the latch. Looks like they will need to adjust it on my next visit.

·
Registered
589 Posts
... "soft" close present vs. no "soft" close present...
You already have this resolved, but just to be clear: that door is slamming way too hard in both cases.
I've got slight scuff marks on my latches and perhaps my door could be moving slightly slower when it engages the latch. Will ask at dealer. Thanks for posting details on your issue!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just went and rechecked mine again. Slow steady motion to the bottom, click and then final pull in.

No scratches anywhere on the top, bottom, left side or right side of the male piece on the truck and no scratching on the receiver either. I open and close it at least once every other day. @GRVR that's where I put the BBQ until I get it home, on the mat in the back.

I guess I got lucky on this one.

Reactions: MTGRL and DPinTX
21 - 40 of 42 Posts