Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that, sometimes, the rear hatch (to the trunk/cargo area/boot) will simply close and not "soft" close. Haven't figured out a pattern, if the issue is predictable. Sometimes it'll do it once, sometimes multiple times in a row. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to what it could be? I've checked for items that might be in the way and there's never been anything in the way, if that would cause it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Explain the difference between soft close and other close. I do not understand.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I've noticed that, sometimes, the rear hatch (to the trunk/cargo area/boot) will simply close and not "soft" close. Haven't figured out a pattern, if the issue is predictable. Sometimes it'll do it once, sometimes multiple times in a row. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to what it could be? I've checked for items that might be in the way and there's never been anything in the way, if that would cause it.
Do you mean the last little bit , where once it closes , it then goes a little further , as if to seal itself completely ???

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Explain the difference between soft close and other close. I do not understand.
Do you mean the last little bit , where once it closes , it then goes a little further , as if to seal itself completely ???
Yes. The manual, as I recall, referred to this additional "sealing" or "latching" after the initial close a "soft" close.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I haven't noticed any difference, my hatch closes the same way every time!!!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have noticed that mine seems to basically slam down and latch... there is really no hesitation or "final" inch or so where it soft closes, etc. Seems kinda harsh to me, but I'll assume this is normal. My JGC goes rapidly to with in the last 3 " or so and then slows to a controlled slow rate till the latch grabs it and pulls it tight. That's what I think would make more sense for the FP too.....

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Speaking of this, does anyone else have scratches on the plastic hatch latch cover? Looks like it is rubbing when it latches. Surprised by this.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
I have noticed that mine seems to basically slam down and latch... there is really no hesitation or "final" inch or so where it soft closes, etc. Seems kinda harsh to me, but I'll assume this is normal. My JGC goes rapidly to with in the last 3 " or so and then slows to a controlled slow rate till the latch grabs it and pulls it tight. That's what I think would make more sense for the FP too.....
Ours closes as at a *controlled slow rate* as soon as you hit the close button , when it is wide open all the way till it latches closed !!!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
speaking of this, does anyone else have scratches on the plastic hatch latch cover? Looks like it is rubbing when it latches. Surprised by this.
Hey theweeb , *NO PICS , DIDN'T HAPPEN* !!!>:)

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Back in the day, a man and his word were all that was needed.
Apparently NOT around here !!! Around here , it's ALL about the PICS !!!;)

*Back in the Day* , a Mans WORD , was spoken from his mouth !!!

Now it is just typed on a keyboard , and off into the WORLD WIDE WEB !!!

We don't even know if it is really YOU , that is actually typing the words !!!>:)

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
I have noticed that mine seems to basically slam down and latch... there is really no hesitation or "final" inch or so where it soft closes, etc. Seems kinda harsh to me, but I'll assume this is normal. .
Mine does the same it sounds like a firm slam :eek:

DP

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I paid particular attention to this today and with my running to the beach and such we opened the hatch a bunch of times. I never really noticed the soft close before, but my hatch did it every time. Interestingly enough the amount of space the hatch moves on the soft close part, is much less than my wife's BMW 428 Convertible's trunk. Her truck is not only visible but audible with the motor when it soft closes. The jag hatch doesn't make anywhere near the motor noice and only moves about half the distance in soft close. Maybe that is why it's not always noticeable.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Here you go, hero.

To the OP's question, mine seems to slam shut pretty violently. Nothing "soft" about it.
See !!! That didn't hurt so bad , did it !!!;)

In all seriousness , if I may , the PIC tells me EXACTLY what & where you are talking about !
I will check ours out tomorrow , to see if there are any Rub Marks !

Hmmm ???
I wonder if being in *ECO-MODE* or *DYNAMIC MODE* makes a difference in the speed of the Hatch ???>:)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Florida guy

·
Registered
378 Posts
Back in the day, a man and his word were all that was needed.

Touché, I still try to do business and seal it with a handshake. I then have to remind them a handshake is a personal bond. It's not always honored, but it will never happen again with them.

I just opened and closed mine. No sign of contact on either surface. As for as the closing, steady decent down, when initial contact is made, final inch is pulled in and minor motor noise is heard.

By the way, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express several times so this is a qualified opinion!

If I were a gambler (which I am), I would say you have a minor alignment problem on the hatch and one of the hinges needs to be loosened and ever so slightly adjusted for a clean straight landing. This may also make the closure smoother.

Reactions: MTGRL and theweeb

·
Registered
50 Posts
mine is currently in the shop - has been since monday but thats another story - for a similar issue. the hatch soft closes ok, but it rattles when I'm driving over bumps like its not 100% closed (but it is not open enough to trigger a sensor).

·
Registered
Wealth of Knowledge
2,391 Posts
I just looked at mine and it's all scratched up, plus the hatch doesn't seem to line up with the rest of car. It's off by about 1/4" is that and acceptable amount. As you can see one is low and one is high. I have added my latch pics as I see a few don't think things happen unless there's a pic :)

DP

Attachments

Reactions: theweeb

·
Registered
41 Posts
Always get a soft close on mine with a slow 'pull' for the last half inch to fully latch. Had the self same scratches on the male and female parts of the latch mech (dealer replaced them but they came back). I put this down to the hatch being mis-aligned as in the post above with the light cluster in the hatch being lower than the rear quarter light cluster when the hatch was closed. Dealer said it was normal based upon other F-Pace models on the forecourt, JLR NA sided with me and said it should / could be corrected and a week later it returned from the body shop with the light clusters perfectly aligned (as they should be).
To be clear - normal operation is for a controlled slow descent and a noticeable whirring to pull the hatch to the fully closed and latched position. Scratching of the component parts is not acceptable nor is mis-alignment of the hatch itself.

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Ours isn’t fast but it isn’t slow. Have some scratches. Worst issue is that the rear hatch randomly think it isn’t closed. Not sure if it is or isn’t, but I’ve had to pull over a number of times to open and close it because the car thought it was open.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts