Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at first I was pleased that I was getting better than expected mileage - 22+\- per the trip computer. Then started recording miles between fill ups and gallons put in. Every time, I'm finding the computer overstates MPG by 1 to 2 MPG. So I'm really between 20 and 21.

Anyone else notice?

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
I've never owned a car where it didn't overstate MPG. Haven't looked specifically on the F Pace, but assumed it was the same.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So at first I was pleased that I was getting better than expected mileage - 22+\- per the trip computer. Then started recording miles between fill ups and gallons put in. Every time, I'm finding the computer overstates MPG by 1 to 2 MPG. So I'm really between 20 and 21.

Anyone else notice?
Yes, all the time on all cars. Precision of fuel measuring equipment in cars is usually terrible. Luckily gas stations have very precise calibrated pumps/meters and those numbers can be used to calculate real MPG. Of course it would be nice to have an app in ITCP to record pump numbers but JLR will not shoot itself to the foot.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for flagging that. I too have been pleased with the results (about 23 mpg in mixed driving), but have not been back-checking. I will do that now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have found the "auto" trip stats (i.e. showing just current trip) to be overstated but the trip consumption since new (I haven't reset the "A" trip since new) is pretty much in line with my own measurements between fill ups. Current trip always says about 23 mpg or more, but actual is about 19 over 1400 miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just completed a 5,800 mile road trip in the RSport. Trip computer indicated 25.6 mpg. Actual by my calculations was 24.5 mpg. close enough for me. reasonable MPG given that most of my driving was 75 - 85 mph.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Just completed a 5,800 mile road trip in the RSport. Trip computer indicated 25.6 mpg. Actual by my calculations was 24.5 mpg. close enough for me. reasonable MPG given that most of my driving was 75 - 85 mph.
Your poor car, 5,800 miles already :(:eek: haha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone really look at instantaneous mileage? Just wondering...seems kinda gimmicky or maybe I'm missing something

·
Registered
223 Posts
It has been a common observation across many brands that the computer's calculated mileage runs a bit higher than what you get out of the pump. In part, there's a delta because of evaporation loss.

To klho001's point, instantaneous mileage is mainly there to motivate drivers to drive smoothly/accelerate slowly. People that watch it do tend to moderate their behavior. I'm pretty sure we get over 10 mpg; past that, I couldn't say. In our F-Pace, the selection stays on distance to empty.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
WOWWW !!! "One Road Trip" was "5800-miles" ??? I am VERY ENVIOUS !!!
Was your road trip for Leisure or Business ? How long was the Road Trip ?
I can't wait to go on a Road Trip !!! :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Meh, who cares? It's not like I'm going to stop driving it because the mpg is too low!

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Reactions: Roadsterguy

·
Registered
132 Posts

Anyone else notice?
This is not restricted to Jaguars. It is extremely common in all vehicles. This disparity is why many post that they regularily get better fuel economy than those that accurately measure manually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Does anyone really look at instantaneous mileage? Just wondering...seems kinda gimmicky or maybe I'm missing something
You are the only one bringing up the un-related "instantaneous" mileage. Everyone else in this thread are talking about the AVERAGE mileage that the on-board computer shows is "off" making it appear that you get better fuel economy than you actually do...over time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You are the only one bringing up the un-related "instantaneous" mileage. Everyone else in this thread are talking about the AVERAGE mileage that the on-board computer shows is "off" making it appear that you get better fuel economy than you actually do...over time.
Sure, of course I can read, just slotting my question in here cos I couldnt find many threads on trip computers and didnt want to create a new one for a seemingly uncomplicated question...my bad!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sure, of course I can read, just slotting my question in here cos I couldnt find many threads on trip computers and didnt want to create a new one for a seemingly uncomplicated question...my bad!
It just looked like you mis-posted. Here is a more usefull reply than my prior one... You can use the "instantaneous" readings to determine how to drive the most efficiently based on the characteristics of your car. When going down a long hill you can keep up a decent speed without your car "engine braking" as it would if it was simply on CRUISE. By pressing down ever so slightly you will be able to see that you can run around 50 or 60 MPG on those downhill long runs. Pressing the accelerator as you reach the bottom of the hill will give yu momentum to climb at least partially back up the other side also possible at higher instantaneous fuel economy than normal. Your speed might decrease from 80 MPH in that 65 MPH zone that you were going down the hill but your over all fuel economy will improve. Of course there does come a point that you simply have to let cruise control take back over (e.g. your uphill speed is 55 in a 65MPH zone for example). Hope that helps!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts