Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a number of times that my F Pace's auto transmission making a jerk/clunk (when accelerating gently) changing from first to second gear when the engine is cold (ie: not yet at operating temperature). Has anyone experienced the same?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I've experienced this with both of my F-Paces. It doesn't happen often and normally it occurs when I'm backing out of the garage and then immediately go forward after shifting from reverse to forward. My driveway also has a slight downhill coming out of the garage and moving up the driveway to the street. I believe it's just the play in the drivetrain when moving from reverse to forward when on a very slight hill. I don't know if you issue is the same, but it's not a big clunk in my case, just a light one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've had the same problem. Mine seems to occur if I accelerate quickly, especially after the car is in auto engine stop at a stop sign of something. It will then get stuck in a gear and jerk/clunk every time I accelerate quickly. If I got the same speed and don't need to shift gears I can drive. I have to stop and turn the car off for it to "reset" and it will work fine. It only happens rarely but I'm out of warrantly so no too keen on getting it checked out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the same problem. Mine seems to occur if I accelerate quickly, especially after the car is in auto engine stop at a stop sign of something. It will then get stuck in a gear and jerk/clunk every time I accelerate quickly. If I got the same speed and don't need to shift gears I can drive. I have to stop and turn the car off for it to "reset" and it will work fine. It only happens rarely but I'm out of warrantly so no too keen on getting it checked out.
Have you tried disabling the auto stop-start, leaving the engine on all the time when the car is stopped, and see if the problem would disappear. Personally I find the auto stop-start quite annoying.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I should have noted in my case this only happens when I'm turning to go up my driveway hill. It doesn't happen in a normal back and forth motion on a hill or when stopped at a light and then start going on a hill. This is why I think it's play in the universal joint connections on the drive axles and the main driveshaft or prop shaft as the brits call it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you tried disabling the auto stop-start, leaving the engine on all the time when the car is stopped, and see if the problem would disappear. Personally I find the auto stop-start quite annoying.
I actually like the stop/start. It has happened other times as well, occasionally when I accelerate quickly going up a hill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I should have noted in my case this only happens when I'm turning to go up my driveway hill. It doesn't happen in a normal back and forth motion on a hill or when stopped at a light and then start going on a hill. This is why I think it's play in the universal joint connections on the drive axles and the main driveshaft or prop shaft as the brits call it.
Happens exactly the same to me. I noticed that it helps using the Eco mode, which is more gentle when switching gears

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
JohnnyBoh,

Nice catch on that Eco/Normal vs Dynamic setting. I normally hit the Dynamic setting right after starting the car and before backing out of the garage.

Reactions: JohnnyBoh
1 - 9 of 9 Posts