Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealership service center was no help, never called me back, so I figured it out myself, along with some of you. When we bought the 18 f-pace in 2017, I bought the Tekonsha kit 118748 Trailer Wiring Kit. After 3 years of procrastination and the recent purchase of a No-Bo 10.6 we needed lights. This kit only works on 2017 Jaguars, although it installed nicely on the ‘18, cutting no vehicle wiring, it gave no running lights.
I therefore purchased the new kit, Tekonsha 118785. I installed it today and it works perfectly. I also installed the Prodigy p2 brake controller, the cable adapter for this vehicle, and a Tekonsha 4pin to 7 pin adapter. Everything is functioning perfectly and without the JLR trailer module or without re-flashing the computer at the dealership. The only wire that I cut was the brake control ‘blue’ wire coming from the drivers footwell connection to the cargo area, to a dead-end connection which I assume is where the trailer module plugs into I verified the brake command was present when braking, cut it, and routed it to the 7-pin connector to the trailer.
This light/brake installation stumped Camping World who was supposed to install everything as we closed on the trailer and took delivery at which time they said they couldn’t do it. They were planning to charge me about $650, which I was willing to pay. Asking Jag for help was totally fruitless.
There are arguments that these Sports SUVs are not for towing, but they’re quite capable. This latest self-upgrade gives our beautiful BRG 2.0d all the more diversity and capability.
I hope this helps someone and if anyone has a 17, I have your trailer wiring kit...which you can have cheap.
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Pardon me if I haven't been following your ongoing (3-year?) saga, but did you (already) also install the Jaguar tow control module and software update to enable the Tow Assist, Hitch Assist camera, and Trailer Stability Assist sway control programming?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Jaguar tow module And software is not required when using this method and equipment. I installed the Curt receiver hitch myself for about $250

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand it is not required, but don't you lose the trailer sway control (for safety) and 2 different additional camera views without the module and dealer programming?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I will not have these features that my dealer could have informed me about and I would have purchased. We only towing a 1750 lb trailer so sway control isn’t necessary but the camera views might have been useful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for confirming. I have also discovered that many dealers are not well-informed on all of the components that are required (price quotes from the complete tow hitch kit + programming are all over the map). I may decide to go aftermarket, but would consider the control module and programming just for the software benefits. If I do, I'll share my experience on this forum.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently did the Curt hitch and Tekonsha wiring on my ‘17. I’ll never tow anything larger than a small utility trailer (rarely), so the aftermarket solution works great for me. Mine will be used 99% of the time for a bike rack, so the cost of a dealer hitch install wasn’t worth it to me, and I’d use the extra camera views maybe once a year.

It seemed strange to me that it was so difficult to find an F-Pace with a tow package. I know it’s a performance SUV, but I’d think they’d put a little emphasis on the “utility” part as well. Seems many of us here came from JGC’s, where almost all models have a tow package as standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts