Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth spending $2500 for the dealer to install a trailer hitch? I know it can be done way cheaper at my local mechanics shop. Just worried about the wiring and computer reprogramming. That sounds like a dealer only option to me. Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I can't comment on the fully integrated hitch and the electronic additions you get with it since neither of my F_Paces had it. However, I have towed with my 2017 first edition and my 2019 SVR and I haven't really missed anything. Both vehicles towed fairly well considering their size and weight. I've towed my boat (3500 lbs) with both and clearly the SVR wins with the additional horsepower and torque when it comes to pulling the boat, but both vehicles got it done. I'm not sure I'd pay 2500 for the dealer hitch, especially since you always see the receiver. I've used the Stealh/hidden hitch on both vehicles and still am very happy.

I installed the hitch on both vehicles myself, so a big portion of that savings against the 2500 cost is that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't comment on the fully integrated hitch and the electronic additions you get with it since neither of my F_Paces had it. However, I have towed with my 2017 first edition and my 2019 SVR and I haven't really missed anything. Both vehicles towed fairly well considering their size and weight. I've towed my boat (3500 lbs) with both and clearly the SVR wins with the additional horsepower and torque when it comes to pulling the boat, but both vehicles got it done. I'm not sure I'd pay 2500 for the dealer hitch, especially since you always see the receiver. I've used the Stealh/hidden hitch on both vehicles and still am very happy.

I installed the hitch on both vehicles myself, so a big portion of that savings against the 2500 cost is that.
Yea I definitely like the look of the stealth hitches. So how do you have the electrical hook up on your boat trailer?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
the stealth hitch can be ordered with the electrical hookup. It also comes with directions on how to hook the wiring harness they send into the vehicle electric wiring. I got it done following those directions. But they aren't for the faint at heart. You need to pull the boot/truck area inside apart. It's a few bolts, some clips and popping panels out. Not too hard and to be honest it was the easiest thing to do of the effort.

The tough part is pulling the wiring harness at the back apart enough to identify the wires they want you to find and tap into. Like I said, I go tit done, but I needed to do some trial and error with the trailer attached with the lights to get all the proper wires connected. My trailer is a dual axle with surge brakes so I didn't need to hook anything special up for electric braking.

The whole install of the steath hitchl is doable if you are reasonably good with hand tools and don't mind pulling the rear bumper cover off. The only really tough thing outside of the cabling for the trailer electrical connection is getting the bumper cover disengaged from the side rear fenders. Be careful doing that.

I actually think you can download the F-Pace wiring direction from the Stealth Website if you want to see what's involved before buying.

If you aren't handy, I would have someone install the hitch and the wiring for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2017S w/ a tow hitch. Works great. Two things I've noticed.
1) when I have the trailer hooked up, my rear camera video changes to reflect that there's a trailer (or there's some indicator on the dash that shows a trailer)
2) When I'm backing up with the trailer attached, I don't get any beeping sounds from the proximity sensor.

so if the after-markets give you those two things, then great. I tow a 5,600lb boat with it, no problem. I'd be worried about the stealth-hitch at that weight. I wanted it from the factory with it installed just because i didn't want to deal with aftermarket and possible damage or less reliable towing. $2,500 is expensive though, so I'm glad mine had it in the bundle (along w/ a roof rack).

in 2017, finding an FPace with a tow hitch was very difficult. I sat their wondering why anyone would make an SUV and not have a tow hitch on it!!! kind of defeats the concept IMHO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) when I have the trailer hooked up, my rear camera video changes to reflect that there's a trailer (or there's some indicator on the dash that shows a trailer)
2) When I'm backing up with the trailer attached, I don't get any beeping sounds from the proximity sensor.

so if the after-markets give you those two things, then great. I tow a 5,600lb boat with it, no problem. I'd be worried about the stealth-hitch at that weight. I wanted it from the factory with it installed just because i didn't want to deal with aftermarket and possible damage or less reliable towing. $2,500 is expensive though, so I'm glad mine had it in the bundle (along w/ a roof rack).

in 2017, finding an FPace with a tow hitch was very difficult. I sat their wondering why anyone would make an SUV and not have a tow hitch on it!!! kind of defeats the concept IMHO
Thanks for the input! I’ve decided to go with the dealer installed hitch. Even though it’s going to cost me $2500 I know that they will be responsible for all the electrical connections. I don’t want the local mechanic to screw things up for me. And I believe the stock hitch would look better compared to an aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts

The stealth hitch is perfectly fine with my boat and approved for towing well beyond the 5800 lbs F-Pace Towing weight. Keep in mind with any tow setup your goal is to balance the weight that is actually upon the Tow Ball or hitch directly. Most hitches, even the factory one have a tow ball weight limit somewhere between 250 and maybe at most 600lbs. I think anything above 300 lbs on the F-Pace is too much for the unibody setup. Boats or anything on trailers need to be placed on them carefully to balance the full weight over the axle(s) and not have too much weight forward of the axles therefore putting more weight directly on the tow ball and hitch assembly.

The Stealth Hitch is rated for 600 lbs directly on the lowball which is much higher than you should be putting on the lowball on an F-Pace. The Stealth hitch would not have any issue towing a 5600 lb boat. My full setup is probably closer to 5k which I tow with my SVR.

With that said, if you guys are ok with seeing the 2" Receiver all the time behind your vehicles, then the factory setup is best since you get all the electronics integrated. I can tell you that my reverse warnings and lane departure disable on their own when I'm towing after a few minutes as I believe the software assumes your towing something. it happens with my trailer towing or when I put the bike rack on the stealth and two my bike.

For me I didn't want to see that 2" receiver under the rear bumper all the time on what is the best looking SUV on the market.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts