Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to get one of the trailer pinouts that isn't used to take a feed from a camera and display it on the screen instead of the existing reversing camera?

I'd love to put a camera on the back of my boat so when I'm towing it I could see it's view, much as you can the existing reversing camera on the boot of the F-Pace.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I think one of your best options would be to look into an RV (recreational vehicle) Rear Camera System , like the one I have on the back of my 38-ft. Motorhome ! It is wired to a Small Screen up on the Dashboard , and it has buttons I can use to control the Camera ! One thing I like about it is the fact that I can turn it on & off while driving down the road , so that I can keep checking to see if all is well with the car I am towing behind me ! I am also able to push buttons for Daytime or Nighttime looking , and it also has a volume control so you can hear back there ! Now , the camera is wired directly to the small tv screen in the dash , so you would have to look into something different that you could wire into the trailer plug and then go up to the dash ! Whether or not it would be possible or even a good idea to try and use the cars screens will be up to someone else , I couldn't answer that one !
Good Luck , and if you find something and get it hooked up , please post as video on here !
That would be pretty cool to see ! :)

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Is there any way to get one of the trailer pinouts that isn't used to take a feed from a camera and display it on the screen instead of the existing reversing camera?

I'd love to put a camera on the back of my boat so when I'm towing it I could see it's view, much as you can the existing reversing camera on the boot of the F-Pace.
See my suggestion in your other thread, although if you look at the time stamps GR may have contributed the idea first. Darn him! I think either approach may be the easiest way and you could leave it running all the time when driving so you can use the ICTP screen for the normal things.

I think the remote Wifi Camera running off the F-Paces Wifi, using your smartphone, may be cheaper than GR's approach though. Although GR's approach would be waterproof already. I wonder if any of them work with Wifi so you don't need to run wires.

Reactions: GRVR

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
My idea is VERY "OLD SCHOOL" , and has been around for decades on Motorhomes ! I am not saying that to say go with my idea , I am just saying that this is the only idea I know about to suggest ! That being said , I am no where near as up to date on any Modern Technology Gizmo's like PA-FPace-F , so I just want to point out that *GR* is liking his idea very much ! I like the fact that your visual screen would come from your phone , and "wireless" means NO tampering with your F-Pace wiring ! I think this "Camera on the back of a boat or trailer" idea is something that will definitely require some research !
If you do find a functioning solution , please post your results on here ! :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the remote Wifi Camera running off the F-Paces Wifi, using your smartphone, may be cheaper than GR's approach though.
Unfortunately the F-Pace does not come with wifi in Australia, due to Jaguar being unable to strike a deal with a Telco. :crying:

Thanks for the suggestions guys - will do some more research.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
I have a thought, I assume the rear view camera is digital which I think is the case. There might be a possibility to take the output of the camera and put it into a digital switch. Then run a similar wire to the rear of your boat and remotely control the switch. Since I spent my career in the high end security business that would be the way I would do it with Ethernet cameras.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a thought, I assume the rear view camera is digital which I think is the case. There might be a possibility to take the output of the camera and put it into a digital switch. Then run a similar wire to the rear of your boat and remotely control the switch. Since I spent my career in the high end security business that would be the way I would do it with Ethernet cameras.
This is kind of what I was thinking. But although I am perfectly capable of wiring up trailer electrics myself I'm not sure I could work out how to do this.

In the US, do you have the 12-pin trailer socket on the Jag? What do all the pins actually connect to? I know 7 of them, but what are the other 6 for?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
This is kind of what I was thinking. But although I am perfectly capable of wiring up trailer electrics myself I'm not sure I could work out how to do this.

In the US, do you have the 12-pin trailer socket on the Jag? What do all the pins actually connect to? I know 7 of them, but what are the other 6 for?
The "normal" here in the U.S. is the *7-Pin* Round Plug-In ! But we also have a *4-Pin* Flat Plug-In as well , because a lot of people's needs don't even require the *7* !
I do not recall ever hearing of or seeing a *12-Pin* plug-in ???

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We always used to have the 7 pin round or 7 pin flat one here. This 12 pin one is new to me too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts