Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
it's been a while since I have posted here but I have been around and lurking. The lease on my 2020 SVR is up next month, and I am just trying to figure out what I am going to do. I am about 90% sure I am going to keep it since I have a pretty low buyout price on the lease, but I thought I would look around just to see what that is out there is as nice/fast as the SVR (so far nothing is really interesting me). I guess my options are

1.) Keep it
2.) trade it in for a 2023 SVR
3.) trade for a different car

with only 15k mi on it and with it being in pristine condition option 1 is probably the best option but figured I would see what the experts here think.

-Mashie

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I agree, buyout the lease at the low amount and then trade it for something you want. if you like your 2020 SVR, you could keep it too.

Reactions: bobfpacebob

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you're happy with it (it's still new-ish with only 15K miles), just buy it out and keep it until something else catches your attention.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sounds like my plan to buy it is the right path. I have been looking around and really have found anything that I like that combines the looks and power/speed of the F-Pace without having to pay considerably more.

I am intrigued by some of the EVs that are out there (blasphemy I know) …

·
Registered
306 Posts
Take what's behind Door #1. You've been making premium lease payments for a couple of years because of the assumed capitalization rates, so now your reward is being about to do a cheap buyout. Take it and let the EV's work through the next generation of technology before you jump in. Enjoy the SVR in the meantime. Cheers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just a small tweak... depending on what a dealer would give you, have THEM buy it out and don't spend the money on sales tax. So for instance, in February... i had a 2018 F-Pace R-Sport... leased it at 68k new, at the end of 3 years, just kept paying and never turned it in (they re-adjust the residual value and allow you to keep making lease payments), then at 4 years, I had 29k to buy it out. I sold it to a high-end retailer for 40, they sold it for 48... so i pocketed 11 and they did all the work. Nothing needed out of my own pocket for the buy-out this way.

If you buy it yourself, you'll have like 4k in tax (presumably), but save on the dealer markup. So just run the numbers. But you have a 4th option here... just make more payments for another year, the payment will even come down with the new RV.

Also, dealers generally won't mark-up cars that are ordered. So you can still get a new 23, without paying over MSRP, stay in your current car until the new one shows up, then do the above, have a lower buyout, and avoid paying sales tax. If you're at 15k miles only, would assume the vehicles value won't drop much in the next 6-12 months so you'll just increase the amount you can put in your pocket when you do sell and just throw that at the new one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a small tweak... depending on what a dealer would give you, have THEM buy it out and don't spend the money on sales tax. So for instance, in February... i had a 2018 F-Pace R-Sport... leased it at 68k new, at the end of 3 years, just kept paying and never turned it in (they re-adjust the residual value and allow you to keep making lease payments), then at 4 years, I had 29k to buy it out. I sold it to a high-end retailer for 40, they sold it for 48... so i pocketed 11 and they did all the work. Nothing needed out of my own pocket for the buy-out this way.

If you buy it yourself, you'll have like 4k in tax (presumably), but save on the dealer markup. So just run the numbers. But you have a 4th option here... just make more payments for another year, the payment will even come down with the new RV.

Also, dealers generally won't mark-up cars that are ordered. So you can still get a new 23, without paying over MSRP, stay in your current car until the new one shows up, then do the above, have a lower buyout, and avoid paying sales tax. If you're at 15k miles only, would assume the vehicles value won't drop much in the next 6-12 months so you'll just increase the amount you can put in your pocket when you do sell and just throw that at the new one.
Interesting, I had a conversation with Jaguar Financial yesterday and they never even mentioned the option of just keep paying on the lease. My buyout price is about 45k and when I was speaking with the dealer a few weeks ago he said they would give me somewhere between 79-80k for it. augh decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting, I had a conversation with Jaguar Financial yesterday and they never even mentioned the option of just keep paying on the lease. My buyout price is about 45k and when I was speaking with the dealer a few weeks ago he said they would give me somewhere between 79-80k for it. augh decisions, decisions...
They want the car back for inventory, but there is fine print on your lease saying you can keep it. Then there are special instructions for having a dealer buy it out vs. you. if they're offering you 79k, you should 100% sell it to another dealer (not necessarily JLR) and pocket the difference, then you can use that for your downpayment on the next. But it gives you flexibility to find what you want or get a build going. If you extend, they'll adjust the new RV since it won't depreciate at the same pace it does the first 3 years, so your payment will come down a touch, and you'll effectively be buying more equity while it holds its value. So the buyout would be lower when you do sell, while the offer might stay almost flat.

I won't share too much detail, but I'll just say someone who lives in my house is a Jaguar Financial Group exec.. :) you can DM me and I can help answer questions if this is an interesting route to you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They want the car back for inventory, but there is fine print on your lease saying you can keep it. Then there are special instructions for having a dealer buy it out vs. you. if they're offering you 79k, you should 100% sell it to another dealer (not necessarily JLR) and pocket the difference, then you can use that for your downpayment on the next. But it gives you flexibility to find what you want or get a build going. If you extend, they'll adjust the new RV since it won't depreciate at the same pace it does the first 3 years, so your payment will come down a touch, and you'll effectively be buying more equity while it holds its value. So the buyout would be lower when you do sell, while the offer might stay almost flat.

I won't share too much detail, but I'll just say someone who lives in my house is a Jaguar Financial Group exec.. :) you can DM me and I can help answer questions if this is an interesting route to you.
why sell to a different dealer vs working with JRL directly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
why sell to a different dealer vs working with JRL directly?
This is where it gets fuzzy... not sure if you go through JLR if you have to buy it out first THEN sell it to them, or if they would buy out the lease directly. My hunch is they would say if it's on lease, they'd want you to turn it in. If you bought it then sold it to them, all good, you'll just have to pay the tax. If you go to a different dealership (I always bought my cars from Toy Barn in Columbus previously), you just go straight to the dealer buying it out and giving you a check for the delta and they pay the tax. So it's roughly a $3400 difference in your take depending on who pays the tax, but certainly your discretion.

If you continue paying on it and do this deal down the line, the tax impact is lesser as the buyout will be cheaper.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is where it gets fuzzy... not sure if you go through JLR if you have to buy it out first THEN sell it to them, or if they would buy out the lease directly. My hunch is they would say if it's on lease, they'd want you to turn it in. If you bought it then sold it to them, all good, you'll just have to pay the tax. If you go to a different dealership (I always bought my cars from Toy Barn in Columbus previously), you just go straight to the dealer buying it out and giving you a check for the delta and they pay the tax. So it's roughly a $3400 difference in your take depending on who pays the tax, but certainly your discretion.

If you continue paying on it and do this deal down the line, the tax impact is lesser as the buyout will be cheaper.
ahh got it that makes sense. Thanks for all of the great info, I will take you up to DM you with questions as they come up. My lease is up in 6 weeks so I have to do something pretty soon haha.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ahh got it that makes sense. Thanks for all of the great info, I will take you up to DM you with questions as they come up. My lease is up in 6 weeks so I have to do something pretty soon haha.
You'll also need 50k in cash to buy it out, vs. $0 if the dealer does it, so your personal situation has a small role here too. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Guys,
it's been a while since I have posted here but I have been around and lurking. The lease on my 2020 SVR is up next month, and I am just trying to figure out what I am going to do. I am about 90% sure I am going to keep it since I have a pretty low buyout price on the lease, but I thought I would look around just to see what that is out there is as nice/fast as the SVR (so far nothing is really interesting me). I guess my options are

1.) Keep it
2.) trade it in for a 2023 SVR
3.) trade for a different car

with only 15k mi on it and with it being in pristine condition option 1 is probably the best option but figured I would see what the experts here think.

-Mashie
As much as I love my 2021 SVR, the issues I’ve had with the pivi pro, if I were in your position I would walk away from JLR. Definitely trade for a different car. If it was me I would go back to BMW.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most errors are user errors. I've not had a single issue with PiviPro in my 2023 SVR.
That's interesting!!! I wish I could say the same. In my 21 SVR car play cuts randomly, and the music stops. I either go to the source and choose car play or hit the play key then the music starts again. I've had issues where at startup, the jaguar logo stays on the dash car play connects but no music. I mean nothing. FM, AM, XM, nothing plays. I have to get out of the car lock the doors wait 5-10 mins for the car to go to sleep. Then try again lol Maybe I need to trade in for a 2023 model, lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That's interesting!!! I wish I could say the same. In my 21 SVR car play cuts randomly, and the music stops. I either go to the source and choose car play or hit the play key then the music starts again. I've had issues where at startup, the jaguar logo stays on the dash car play connects but no music. I mean nothing. FM, AM, XM, nothing plays. I have to get out of the car lock the doors wait 5-10 mins for the car to go to sleep. Then try again lol Maybe I need to trade in for a 2023 model, lol.

21 SVR here as well with all the udpates (which have added lots of functionality) definitely a bug (or 3!) still continues in Carplay, music stops and I have to hit play again or channels cut out and I have to hit play again. It's been like this since day 1. However I have never had startup issues, maybe I am lucky here. If you hold the roller volume/mute button in the center console down long enough it will "reboot" the system. This might be better than the forced timeout you are experiencing. Good luck, we are all waiting for the update to the Pivi Pro, if you aren't using Carplay I don't think there are (as many?) errors.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
augh.. auto rates for used cars suck right now. Chase is giving me 6.74% on the remaining buyout of my SVR and that is with excellent credit. I will keep searching...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts