Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The F-Pace is rated at 5291 max towing capacity and 386 max trailer tongue weight.
We would like to tow an Airstream 19 that is rated 4500 GVWR and hitch weight of 550.
We would have Jaguar's hitch receiver system installed (Class III?) but will it be adequate for towing this Airstream?
Does the hitch support a weight distribution trailer hitch and would this solve the tongue weight issue discrepancy?
Can anyone offer any other ideas on this as so far Jaguar have not been able to answer these questions.
We have not yet purchased the F-Pace but answers to this will be critical in our decision to purchase or not.
Thank you for your help.

·
Administrator
1,970 Posts
If I understand you have asked Jaguar your question above and they don't know the answer? Is that correct?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
The F-Pace is rated at 5291 max towing capacity and 386 max trailer tongue weight.
We would like to tow an Airstream 19 that is rated 4500 GVWR and hitch weight of 550.
We would have Jaguar's hitch receiver system installed (Class III?) but will it be adequate for towing this Airstream?
Does the hitch support a weight distribution trailer hitch and would this solve the tongue weight issue discrepancy?
Can anyone offer any other ideas on this as so far Jaguar have not been able to answer these questions.
We have not yet purchased the F-Pace but answers to this will be critical in our decision to purchase or not.
Thank you for your help.
I would suggest contacting a place that sells "Tow Hitches and Weight Distribution Bars" ! Weight Distribution Bars are an "aftermarket" accessory , and Jaguar is not going to want to be Liable for giving you incorrect information ! I'm pretty sure that depending on how you actually load your Airstream with your belongings , your actual Hitch Weight might be less or could be more then the 550-lbs. ! I would think it would be in your best interest to let the *Hitch Dealer* tell you what would work best for your situation ! There are so many factors to take into consideration when towing ! Something as simple as , if you were to put a Bike Rack w/Bikes on the Back of your Trailer , you will then most likely lighten the Hitch Weight ! The more weight you put BEHIND the trailer axle (inside or outside the trailer) , will effect the Hitch Weight ! We had a 32-ft. Travel Trailer , and then a Custom Built 40-ft. Travel Trailer (that weighed 16K-lbs. empty from the factory) , and when we loaded it , it was 21K-lbs. with a 3500-lb. Hitch Weight ! NOT a Fifth Wheel , a Travel Trailer ! We had a FORD F-550 to pull the Big Boy , and we had a SWING Hitch installed , that was a curved steel beam under the truck , that allowed the Trailer Hitch to go all the way from one side of the truck to the other when going around turns or backing into tight spots (similar to what a fifth wheel trailer does) ! We are now RVing in a Diesel Pusher Motorhome !
Oh' well , Good Luck with your Airstream Journeys , no matter what you're pulling it with ! I LOVE *RVing* !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thank you for your help.
One can "balance" a trailer and lower hitch force by placing weight in the trailer's rear, but realize that this also makes a trailer less stable. Also, consider the supplies, toys and etc. you will add to your trailer's GVW. This link to Jag's Owner Information page may be of interest:

Jaguar Owner Information

If higher mountains are in the plans, this quote: "For every 3 281 feet (1 000 metres) increase above sea level, the GTW must be reduced by 10%." may decide the issue for you.

FYI: I have a hitch on my S, but my 5,000 lb boat is towed with another vehicle.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of distribution trailer hitches on this vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want to tow those weights and that tow ball load it is not the car for you. It matters not what tow equipment installers recommend Jaguar will not look after you if warranty issues occur.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you want to tow those weights and that tow ball load it is not the car for you. It matters not what tow equipment installers recommend Jaguar will not look after you if warranty issues occur.

FACT... I would never tow anything that is right near the limits of what that vehicle capacity is... It would push you all over the road, not to mention windy conditions. I don't see the F Pace as the 1st choice in the towing dept..... Maybe a utility trailer here and there or a 3K or less boat, Maybe..... While I am not a certified F pace Expert, I have towed enough things to know that you always want to have more to WAY more than you need truck wise. I have a 6K boat and while my JEEP will pull it..it will PUSH it too, even with surge brakes. That's why I have my old 3/4 TON Ram. No matter what's back there, it has the brakes, engine, and torque to control that load under any conditions. The older I get, the less I want to test the limits of anything....

·
Registered
589 Posts
We would like to tow an Airstream 19 that is rated 4500 GVWR and hitch weight of 550...
I've used a WD hitch in the past (with a single-axle horse trailer and a four door small SUV) and it worked well (though I was not considering doing that with the F-Pace). I've also been looking at towing a camping trailer with my newly-arrived F-Pace, and have surveyed the trailer market and looked at a few.
The F-Pace can certainly tow a 4500lb trailer, but I personally would not consider that Airstream (on any vehicle) for the following reasons:
1) Most 4500lb trailers have double axles. The most common axle for light trailers has a 3500lb rating, and by the time you get to 4500lbs you are using a different axle spec or pushing the limits.
2) A double axle will help offload the tongue weight and let the trailer ride on an even keel.
3) A double axle will help cope with a tire blowout or other failure. Nothing like looking in the rear view mirror and watching a tire wobble and then separate from the trailer (yeah, my bad. Should have done more frequent bearing maintenance on that horse trailer!).
4) The 650lb rated capacity is pretty small, and once you have some water and waste on board will be even smaller.
5) It is a luxurious trailer no doubt. With no elbow room. Consider an ultralight trailer with a large pop-out which will make a world of difference in how roomy the trailer feels.
My short list ended up including a couple of Lance trailers (made here in SoCal of all places) which are half the price and a definite step up in quality and feel from some of the other brands. But you won't be invited to any Airstream parties, so there is that...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts