1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just purchased a MY17 3.5t Prestige.
Looking to get a decent tow bar on it.
I see a lot of euro versions on internet in Aus but they only have max 175kg downforce on ball.
Have seen images on carsales.com.au of F-Paces with the 50mm square tow bar receivers.
Does anyone know where to source a square receiver version from?
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterday I put an inquiry to Hayman Reece Australia re the towbar. Just received confirmation they are developing a hitch receiver bar for the F-Pace at the moment. Expected to be available from Feb 2020.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Rhino1963, I don't know if you guys can buy this down under, but I'd go with a Stealth Hitch if I were you. That's what I did with my F-Pace SVR. Love it since you don't see it unless you are using it. It comes with a tow bar, as well as a 2" receiver to attach bike carriers and such.

I have pics out here of my install on my SVR. and what it looks like after install without the attachments on the mounting point. Worth checking out if you can get it down under.

Stealth Hitch F-Pace

Reactions: Rhino1963

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rhino1963, I don't know if you guys can buy this down under, but I'd go with a Stealth Hitch if I were you. That's what I did with my F-Pace SVR. Love it since you don't see it unless you are using it. It comes with a tow bar, as well as a 2" receiver to attach bike carriers and such.

I have pics out here of my install on my SVR. and what it looks like after install without the attachments on the mounting point. Worth checking out if you can get it down under.

Stealth Hitch F-Pace
Thanks for Sharing PA-FPace,
Yes, we can order most things from the States. :)
I saw those bars and others on this forum. They certainly look good.
If it was just for a bike carrier then definitely worth considering.

My purpose is to tow a 350 Chev Ski Boat on a tandem trailer and I also have a mini digger I tow on a single axle trailer. The cars tow weight of 2400kg (5300lbs) is fine. The concern is the download weight on the tow ball. Australian roads are relatively poor quality and not kind to cars. A dip or uneven surface in a road could easily amplify the down load weight on a tow ball. The download numbers on any bar that is hidden (Stealth or Euro style) are lower than fixed versions. e.g. Stealth 600lb (270kg) versus Curt 900lbs (400kgs) Versus Euro 385lbs (175kgs).

Australian Design Rules (equivalent of your DOT rules) are really strict. It is lucky that Hayman Reece (Australia's best known brand of hitch receivers) are developing a local solution which will meet design rules and have a suitable wiring harness with Australian trailer connectors. It is highly likely anything I could import from the States would have been be non-compliant even if it looked the same. So I will wait until Feb 2020 and if I need to tow anything in the meantime I will borrow someones car. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I was at last Sunday’s Caffeine and Octane in Atlanta and Stealth Hitch had a display.
Looks like a beautiful product.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Thanks for Sharing PA-FPace,
Yes, we can order most things from the States. :)
I saw those bars and others on this forum. They certainly look good.
If it was just for a bike carrier then definitely worth considering.

My purpose is to tow a 350 Chev Ski Boat on a tandem trailer and I also have a mini digger I tow on a single axle trailer. The cars tow weight of 2400kg (5300lbs) is fine. The concern is the download weight on the tow ball. Australian roads are relatively poor quality and not kind to cars. A dip or uneven surface in a road could easily amplify the down load weight on a tow ball. The download numbers on any bar that is hidden (Stealth or Euro style) are lower than fixed versions. e.g. Stealth 600lb (270kg) versus Curt 900lbs (400kgs) Versus Euro 385lbs (175kgs).

Australian Design Rules (equivalent of your DOT rules) are really strict. It is lucky that Hayman Reece (Australia's best known brand of hitch receivers) are developing a local solution which will meet design rules and have a suitable wiring harness with Australian trailer connectors. It is highly likely anything I could import from the States would have been be non-compliant even if it looked the same. So I will wait until Feb 2020 and if I need to tow anything in the meantime I will borrow someones car. ;)

Cheers
Rhino, I tow a 4000 lb 22 ft Boat with that setup with no issue. It's a tandem trailer as well. The hitch can handle a lot more towing than the F-Pace can. In my setup the boat and trailer weight more than the F-Pace. I get the tongue weight issue, but the Stealth can handle a lot more tongue weight than the F-Pace's rear mounting points are supposed to be able to handle. I'm not sure I'd put that much weight on the F-Pace hitch mount points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks very nice and a decent size boat too.
Agree the limitations of the F-Pace ultimately decide the weights.
Compliance is important for insurance reasons so I am happy to wait.

If Hayman Reece produce a hidden solution like Stealth that will be a bonus.
(History suggests otherwise)
I expect the mounting for the Hayman Reece will be different and will likely reinforce the F-Pace chassis.
Will post images when they are available.

Enjoy your F-Paces!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts