2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
the fact that Jaguar sold enough F-PACE's to even make the list is the thing that should surprise all of you the most :D

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well don’t like being number one on this list...
Clearly the complainersXXXXXXXXXXX respondents all own the V6 and ICTP. And the ICTP issues are mostly "just software", which self-heal or are fixed with version updates. That isn't in the same category as motors or transmissions blowing up imho.
With ICT and a diesel, the listed weak points simplify down to leaks and squeaks. I don't think we've heard from recent purchasers about diff or sunroof leaks, and the rear suspension and sunroof track squeaks seem to not be much of an item anymore. And many (probably most) of us never did see those in our vehicles.
I'm guessing that the problem reports are dominated by the vehicles from the first 6 months of production (thanks early adopters for helping to smooth things for the rest of us!).
btw, the excerpt from the review lists some "negatives" that are the thing I like most about the vehicle (can't have great handling without a bit of a stiff ride; I like the simple interior; I've never figured out how to use a fancy entertainment and nav system while I'm driving).
Anyway, thanks for posting the link!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Consumer reports have been “biased” against Jaguar Land Rover for years. I put “biased” in quotes because I don’t think they’re actively biased, but passively, mainly due to their less than scientific means with which they come out with these lists.

Firstly, confusing electronics that are challenging to use will affect the final ranking. Not that anything is wrong with them, just confusing to use. JLR products have far more features than your average Subaru or Toyota and are more complicated to use.

Secondly, they poll their members for these results. How small is JLR in the US market to begin with? Then how many JLR Owners are Consumer Reports members? And then respond to the polls? I’m just saying its dubious to consider the CR assessment accurate with such a small sample size out of a small ownership population to begin with.

If you look at the majority of their reccomendations, they’re really after the car = appliance crowd. They have little consideration for design and performance. Cars that have some personality, both good and bad, rarely do well in their scientific model.

We all have plenty of anecdotes, both good and bad, about JLR reliability, but CR treats cars the same as dishwashers or vacuum cleaners and JLR isn’t an appliance brand. We all can probably agree that a Honda Pilot could move our people and stuff around just as well as our F Paces, but there’s a lot of reasons we didn’t buy pilots and those reasons will never be reflected in CR survey.

Ignore this noise and enjoy your cars!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
While this above is true, CR also looks at " Antiseptic" reliability or dependability. Regardless of name plate ,style or design function... how well does that piece of metal over there hold up in each vehicle class, day after day and long term, and how well does its included features perform, initially and long term? It doesn't matter if is a Kia or Lambo...

But of course we don't buy "Antiseptic", we buy on looks, uniqueness, and Visceral desire.... It just would be nice if quality, dependability and dealer service came with it on the Honda or Lexus level !

Regardless, Don't really give a rats a$$ about what CR thinks, I bought it with my eyes wide open and I'll deal with any issues that creates...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Regardless, Don't really give a rats a$$ about what CR thinks, I bought it with my eyes wide open and I'll deal with any issues that creates...
I've been a big Apple fan since my first Mac in 1989. CR has been anti Apple for a long time and pro "trashy Samdung". Take everything with a grain of salt.I don't care what they report.

P.S.: On another note, I've already started receiving emails from friends that have Q5's, telling me that their car is better then the F-Pace I ordered. Jealousy, pure and simple.

·
F Pace Expert
2,607 Posts
Question: anyone have access to full review because I’m unclear if they are talking ICT or ICTP for infotainment?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Question: anyone have access to full review because I’m unclear if they are talking ICT or ICTP for infotainment?
They show reviews of '17,'18, and '19 model years. They have a competitive rating of only the '19, which is "43".
They describe both ICT and ICTP, but don't single out either as better or worse than the other.

I've been a CR reader for more than 60 years. I've always considered their opinions when available for anything I've ever purchased, including cars. I use consumer reviews from amazon and eBay, as well as any other specialized sources, taking them all with a bit of salt.

(I use many Apple products, but am using an HP for this post.)

My final purchase decisions are made with careful consideration. I use reviews for advice, not direction.

After exceedingly careful consideration, I bought an F Pace two years ago, and haven't regretted it, despite its unimportant (to me) failings.

I still rely on CR, but am not directed by it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have suggested this sort of approach months ago in the SVR threads but I will remind new FP buyers to use this article in their price negotiations. I used this approach years ago when negotiating my FP, and there wasn't even any data on this particular model's reliability (just the brand's poor reputation). The basic idea is that "I need a significant financial accommodation to take on such a huge amount of risk by moving forward on a deal with one of the least reliable cars on the planet."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interesting that they single out the F-Pace after saying that it shares platforms with the XE & XF. In fact, there are many common parts/components with other Jags and Land Rovers. The LRs I've had as loaners rode way worse and looked cheaper on the inside than my F-Pace.

Anyone else notice that 4 of the 10 are GM products?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, my take on the CR thing is similar to roverdude. There is a lot of unaccounted for bias in those reports.

1. They can only sample a far smaller potential crowd of owners as jaguar sells about 15 thousand f-paces in north america per year. Contrast that with about 420 thousand yearly rav-4's on toyotas side. And these owners are far more particular than a toyota or honda owner as the car costs 2-3X more, and as such would be more likely to complain about any small problem or imperfection, cause after spending 70K on a car, you don't expect it to vibrate at all!

2. As Roverdude pointed out. Consumer reports is all about treating everything they study like a laundry appliance. The study is built for people who only care about getting from point A to point B in their car. They couldn't give one iota's care about its design or performance. It could liteally be a square brick with wheels. It's one reason why the toyota camry always does so well. It is a great car with unparalleled reliability, BUT, it is probably the most boring car in the entire world, bought typically by some of the most boring drivers ever created.

Anyway, I know that the f-pace is not as reliable as a toyota or honda. Then again those brands have infinitely more money backing those products for R&D. But i can't live my life daily driving the equivalent of a rental car. So i'll put up with some headaches to drive such nice machine!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
. The basic idea is that "I need a significant financial accommodation to take on such a huge amount of risk by moving forward on a deal with one of the least reliable cars on the planet."

Most sales people upon hearing a line like that, would prob RAISE the price while back negotiating with the sales manager in his office....

If a customer came to me in my business ( I'm a 24 year business owner BTW...) and said "Your product sucks, and I deserve a discount because of that...." I guess I'd have to say, If you are such an intelligent buyer, then why are you here? There are many other choices out there! That customer would be 3rd in line for anything that day...

·
Registered
375 Posts
People, please get back on script.

1. Jaguars do not have defects. They have bespoke individualized functionality implementation. It'd be boring if they all worked exactly in the way the manual describes.

2. Describing service visits as a negative is short-sighted. They are vehicle-prompted service experiences. It's a chance for us all to get closer with the JLNR brand at more frequent intervals than the recommended maintenance schedule.

3. Consumer Reports is for Costco-shopping, life-fearing, FW: FW: FW: FW: e-mail replying people who are convinced that if they deviate from the herd, they'll die. If you want a car that's never going to surprise you, buy a Honda. If you want to bond with a vehicle's unique personality, buy a Jaguar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did my JD Powers survey. Took over an hour to complete. With 2500 miles on the car I have had ZERO problems and love the car. Gave them a few suggestions on improvements but that's all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay the Jaguar clearly was not labeled as number one but because the F Pace is the "BEST" looking vehicle in that line-up they had to use the growler picture for the cover story. Even the beak of the Stelvio couldn't take the cover picture. They also couldn't put a boxy Caddy up there if there are sleek looking cats floating around.

Anyway, that's what a warranty is for; if you have a lemon trade it before it runs out. Love MY Pace.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts