Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife has been driving her new 2.0D since October 27th, 2016 and has put nearly 12K miles on it already. She does drive 80 miles round trip to work and has a lot of away from home activities that keep her on the road. She has been averaging about 37-38 mpg between fill ups. On the two road trips we have been on I average about 41 mpg on the highway. It is a great diesel car!

Well she has now gotten "I am putting too many miles on my new car syndrome" and told me she wanted a beater to drive back and forth to work. She likes diesels now and wanted me to find her a used low cost diesel to drive her to work. I tried to find a late model VW TDI, but with their "diesel gate" going on, most have been sold back to VW already. The ones that are still out there want twice NADA for them. That left the pre-2009 models, but most of them still wanted a pretty penny and low mileage examples were unobtainium.

I had originally tried to talk my wife into buying a Chevy Cruze diesel before she ordered her FPace; however she fell in love with the Jaguar and just had to have one. Well, low and behold what does she suggest to get for a beater. Yep, she said find her a low mileage Cruze diesel at a good price for her to drive like a "rented mule". So, I spent several days searching that internet thing and finally found a great bargain. A 2014 Certified Pre-owned at a Chevy dealer in Houston. It has 11,500 miles and a price of 13K (5K below NADA). Being certified, they are giving a 6yr/100K mile powertrain warranty and an additional 12mo/12K bumper to bumper on top of the 12mos/24,5K miles that were remaining on the car. Because of "diesel gate" the Cruze was sitting on their lot with no interest from any buyers. On top of the warranty GM was offering 0.9% financing for their Certified cars ending this month. Well, I fly out to Houston to pick up her "rented mule" next Tuesday. These things are getting over 50mpg in real world experience.

I travel to the Mississippi Coast often to help take care of my aging father. Instead of putting miles on my Ram EcoDiesel, I plan on driving the Cruze diesel like a "rented mule" also. At that price, miles, warranty, and APR, we just could not resist.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Niiice !!!

Enjoy the "Cruze" back home...my sis-in-law had a 2014 LTZ and I took it for a spin. It had the low profile Michelins on it I believe. It wasn't quick off the line but it was a surprisingly fun little car that handled pretty decent. My brother nick-named it the "Go-Kart". :D It would take a corner faster than my car with suspension mods and before we knew it we were into triple digits going around the bends.>:) Of course this was down in Mexico or so I've been told...Fun little car. >:)

·
Registered
245 Posts
You've got it all wrong. It sounds to me like she should use this one as a beater and then you can pick up the V8 version for her when it hits the road as her fun car. Your chances of getting lucky will be high for some time to come. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I agree. That the whole point of a diesel--drive it. Our plan is to drive it for 10 years at 25 to 30k per year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts