Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I hate to start a new thread if this info is in a different thread but I just read someone's post about the fact that their FPace tires were at 53lbs pressure! I can't seem to find that thread.

I just went out and mine were at 50! I was wondering why the ride was a little bumpier than I remember the R-Sport being on my test drive. Well no freakin wonder!!! Whoever posted that, thank you :)!

Since my wife is the one doing all the driving in it 95% of the time :(, I haven't gotten to interface with the car much but rest assured at some point today I'm going to deflate those babies to 35lbs. According to the manual 34lbs is "normal" and you should only put it at 45lbs for maximum load like big Americans and pulling a trailer! So, right now, I'm over 5 lbs more on each tire which is only for 5 passengers on a triple bacon-cheeseburger diet!

So hoping that anyone not paying attention or has bumpy ride issues will check their tire pressures and report back. Thanks again posters for the appreciated info!

BTW, if you don't have a tire pressure gauge, it's worth the little extra money to buy a digital tire pressure gauge. I've found the cheapos to be inaccurate. :nerd:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was the lucky guy with the 53 psi tires at delivery. And my wife is the main driver also, and she doesn't notice things like that :)
The good news here is that the TPMS info on the dash display is 100% accurate and once we figured out how to turn it on that is what alerted us. A quick check with the tire pressure gauge proved the display to be right.

Now I'm worried what else they failed to do at pre-delivery

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow... I usually like to keep a harder tire (38-40psi) but that's kind of worrying at 53psi. But thankfully the dash display is on point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for this post. Question: Would overinflated tires lead to higher tire and car noise?

I am just wondering if overinflated tires were the cause for car noise in the R Sport I tested 2 weeks ago.

LMK.

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
Thanks for this post. Question: Would overinflated tires lead to higher tire and car noise?

I am just wondering if overinflated tires were the cause for car noise in the R Sport I tested 2 weeks ago.

LMK.
Yes yes and yes. Overinflated tires can wear out quicker, be noisy, and screw up the ride a lot. Underinflated tires can also do the same thing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes yes and yes. Overinflated tires can wear out quicker, be noisy, and screw up the ride a lot. Underinflated tires can also do the same thing.
That answer sounds vaguely familiar... ;)

Reactions: JK8112

·
Premium Member
1,459 Posts
That answer sounds vaguely familiar...
It's amazing how many people don't understand how tires work or affect the characteristics of their car. If you were to learn anything about a car, tires would be the one thing to know. They're the only thing keeping you planted on the ground!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's amazing how many people don't understand how tires work or affect the characteristics of their car. If you were to learn anything about a car, tires would be the one thing to know. They're the only thing keeping you planted on the ground!
Exactly true. This is something I try to explain to my family members, nieces and nephews who are of driving age now. Since they are the only thing between you and a several ton vehicle, and that relationship between a phone pole, wall or oncoming car, this is something that you never skimp on. I always buy the best tire I can get in relationship with the vehicle's use and known upcoming weather. I spun out once in my first car when it was raining in the middle of an intersection with crappy tires and that experience is forever ingrained in my noggin. Your life and the lives of others are totally dependent on a few inches of rubber contact - scary when you think about it...:eek:

Reactions: JWreck

·
Registered
295 Posts
I was the lucky guy with the 53 psi tires at delivery. And my wife is the main driver also, and she doesn't notice things like that :)
The good news here is that the TPMS info on the dash display is 100% accurate and once we figured out how to turn it on that is what alerted us. A quick check with the tire pressure gauge proved the display to be right.

if they let a vehicle on the road without checking tire pressure I would be worried to. You paid for PDI, I would make them do it all over again with you standing over the tech with a clipboard checking off the items.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Maybe your prep guy was dyslexic?

;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, what a difference! I deflated the tires from 50(!) to 38 and holy cow! My wife came back from a short test drive and said it was night and day different. I didn't get to drive the car until last night and will concur that the ride was soooo much better. But, the manual states on page 250 that 34 lbs is "optimal ride" for up to 3 occupants. So on the way home, I lowered the pressure to 34 lbs and it was again a huge difference, and very enjoyable. Unfortunately, the low tire pressure indicator came on which is weird when they say 34 lbs and the tires do not appear low whatsoever. So I'll need to check that out, and fill the suspect tire with a whiff of air to get that to stop. However, this might change with changing the TPMS to "light load" as discussed on page 259. I don't know where mine is and won't be able to check that until I get home.

I know some of you like a firmer bumpy ride, but we don't. We are not going to be taking the car to the track, or doing the loop-da-loop. We want the smoothest ride possible out of our big kitty so thanks again to Alphatero for posting his 53 lb debacle here. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
We should understand that checking/re-setting tire pressure is most accurate/appropriate when car hasn't been driven more than a mile or so in past, say, 24 hours. For example, you might actually end up with too low pressure(when the tires cool off) if you release air from hot tires that were driven more than a mile or so just before you checked pressure. Altitude and ambient temp also factors. Also, on vehicles where I've added/vented tire air in past, their system doesn't always immediately reflect the updated pressure. To get an immediate pressure reading, I use a digital gauge branded "BMW"(heaven forbid) that I bought at that dealership.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, got home and scrolled thru the menus with the car off, but ignition on. The recommended tire pressures are a screen that can be chosen, if for any reason that someone just doesn't want to look it up, or look down at the plate on the drivers side in back of the seat area.

Was able to switch the mode to "light" which means up to 3 occupants of normal (not American? :() weight. Now the low tire pressure light is off. The tire pressure (completely cold) was 35 all around and the recommended pressure of 34 is in parenthesis below each tire number.

I'm going to keep it that way, as it's way more comfortable to drive. You guys especially with 22" wheels really need to check that, if your dealer prep crew didn't catch it like mine didn't. I'd be really curious to know what you guys with 22"s are seeing as pressure when handed over from the dealer. Trek... have you actually checked your pressure now that you know where the screen is and car must be turned off?

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
69 Posts
checked mine today as well and i'm at 45 psi. normal is 43 which isn't too bad. i have the 20 inchers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just think it's weird that they call it "normal" to be ready for the car to be filled up with as much weight as possible. Maybe not. It's not a work truck and I'd think a lot of Jag buyers want a luxury automobile. And luxury ride isn't "really bumpy" as normal. I do realize that it's also a sports car made into a SUV.

I guess it's just my opinion that "normal" should be about what most of these cars are going to (as far as I can tell), and that's a 1 or 2 driver car, not loaded up with the kitchen sink. The other mode then would be called "maximum duty" or "triple cheeseburger family", something like that.

That 43 lb figure for "my" normal is stiff. I can see some liking that for bombing corners at full speed, but it seems like the car doesn't have any problem taking spirited drives at 35 lbs either. I choose comfort :D

Reactions: Peter

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had posted in another post that the ride is harsher than the X5, after looking at this post I check the tire pressure and it was at 50psi. I now lower it to 40psi and my ride is just as smooth as the X5.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I test drove, the salesman stated that the ride would be smother once I let some air out of the tires. He stated that they overinflated to help prevent flat spots if the car sits too long. Don't think that is an issue with the fpace.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts